Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Hi All,

I am looking into purchasing an audio adapter for my Treo 650. I just wanted to get some feedback from anyone who is currently using the Radio Shack adapter. I have read some posts here on TC about the adapter, some good, some bad. Some users are reporting popping and cracking when using the adapter. Others stated that their Treo's audio jack was damaged by using the adapter. I don't want to use the adapter if it could possibly damage my Treo.

Am I better off purchasing the 'official' adapter online, or am I okay just dropping by a Radio Shack and picking up their version? If the Radio Shack adapter is working for you, what is the model name/number of the adapter you are using?

Thank you,
    James
    Sprint PCS Treo 600 & 650
    Verizon Treo 700w
    www.James-K.com
    I bought it. It causes a large negative partial pressure in the atmosphere. (It sucks.)

Rather than get an adapter, I recommend the palmOne combination stereo headphones and phone headset. Has the proper plug on it (it's four poles, not three) and it's not expensive. Even better, it sounds decent.

Tom
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Tom,

Hilarious! I needed that laugh!

I am also considering a headset. Do you use the PalmOne combo headset? Do you like it? Any pros/cons worth talking about?

James

Quote Originally Posted by VetPsychWars
    I bought it. It causes a large negative partial pressure in the atmosphere. (It sucks.)

Rather than get an adapter, I recommend the palmOne combination stereo headphones and phone headset. Has the proper plug on it (it's four poles, not three) and it's not expensive. Even better, it sounds decent.

Tom
    Verizon Treo 700w
    www.James-K.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jkoons
    Any pros/cons worth talking about?
    I recommend the Seido adapter.
    Link to Seido Adapater
    Someone else just posted about the tip of an adapter breaking off inside their Treo. I think the Seido would be less susceptible to this problem.
    I've used the Radio Shack adapter in my 600 for about a year and didn't have any problems with it (although the case I had didn't have a wide enough hole for the adapter to fit correctly, so had to only use it out of its case. You do have to get out the exacto knife and cut away some of the plastic near the tip so that it fits properly, but it's not tough to do. You will get some snap, crackle, pop if you twist the adapter around while it's plugged in, but I would think that's fairly normal...

Only negative of the RadioShack adapter I have is the length, an L shape would be better...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by clevewaterman
    I recommend the Seido adapter.
    Link to Seido Adapater
    Someone else just posted about the tip of an adapter breaking off inside their Treo. I think the Seido would be less susceptible to this problem.
    That was me (thanks for the response btw!!). If you want more info on my adapter troubles just check the thread here.

Anyway, the adapter I was using was from Radio Shack. I am waiting a call back from their "risk management" group on how they want to proceed as I am not impressed with the quality of the product. The sound was good enough, but the adapter is really long and cumbersome. I will either order the Seido or PalmOne adapter (< $10) or may just order the 2 in 1 headphones. YMMV, but after using the Radio Shack adapter I want the slanted design of the Seido or Palm.

-Rory
    I have two adaptors, one by Plam and one from Radio Shack. They both work fine. I had to use a knive to cut some of the plastic so the Radio Shack adaptor would fit, but that only took about 20 seconds using a kitchen knife (don't tell my wife I used a kitchen knife).

If I needed another adaptor quickly, I would probably just get another one from Radio Shack.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Okay,

I just ordered the PalmOne headphones from TC. The adapter breaking off in the Treo story freaked me out.

Quote Originally Posted by rsprouse
    That was me (thanks for the response btw!!). If you want more info on my adapter troubles just check the thread here. -Rory
    Verizon Treo 700w
    www.James-K.com
    I don't think you'll be disappointed. They sound good to me on a call, and also good playing the few mp3 I've tested with it. Only downside is that you need a case for it. I'm thinking of this one:

http://www.allabouttheaccessories.co...PROD&ProdID=53

Tom
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Are you using that case for your headphones?
    Verizon Treo 700w
    www.James-K.com
    Not yet, I'm planning on buying it. :-)

Tom
    I bought El Cheapo Radio Shack adapter for a grand total of $5.45 ($4.95 before sales tax). I have a pair of cherished Bang&Olufsen headphones and they sounded great with everything I had coming out of the 650: mp3s, movies, videos, etc. The adapter I got was a straight one, not the right-angle bend one you can buy from all the Treo sites and I'm not worried about breaking it. In fact, I'm considering gluing it on permanently as I don't really need to use my Ipod anymore.

-T
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    I had to use a knive to cut some of the plastic so the Radio Shack adaptor would fit, but that only took about 20 seconds using a kitchen knife (don't tell my wife I used a kitchen knife).
    I'm telling!
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I also got the Radio Shack adapter to use with my stereo headphones...I have older SOny stereo in-ear headphone that I use. I have pocketunes and I barely have the sound up-- it's pretty loud and not distorted.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    I've used the Radio Shack adapter in my 600 for about a year and didn't have any problems with it (although the case I had didn't have a wide enough hole for the adapter to fit correctly, so had to only use it out of its case. You do have to get out the exacto knife and cut away some of the plastic near the tip so that it fits properly, but it's not tough to do. You will get some snap, crackle, pop if you twist the adapter around while it's plugged in, but I would think that's fairly normal...

Only negative of the RadioShack adapter I have is the length, an L shape would be better...
    I bought that thing from RadioShack. I also have the adapter from palmone. After having the palmone/Handspring version, I will never go back to the RadioShack one. I used to think that the "snap, crack and pop" was normal when the adapter twisted. But palm's adapter proves that wrong as it does *not* snap, crack and pop at all.

Bottom line is: I would suggest against purchasing the RadioShack adapter, but it works--sort of.
    I've had an experience opposite that of several posters: For me, the RadioShack adapter (straight, not L-shaped) has worked great although it is a bit cumbersome, while the Palm adapter (L-shaped) that I bought gave me non-stop pops and crackles, and is totally unusable on my 650. Go figure!
    There's another consideration. My Sony earbuds get WAY TOO LOUD as well. The palmOne earbuds/headset are a much better match. Plus you can use them with the phone.

So, to each his own, but $15 plus postage from Dan's Cellular, why quibble?

Tom