1.    #1  
    A recent experience: My 2-month old Treo 600 came down with the "Treo Melanoma" recently (orange pixels that grew by the day across the screen). I called PalmOne for an exchange, and they had given me the standard two options:

1) put my credit card down for the price of a new phone, they would send me a (refurbished) replacement in 7-10 days, and I send mine back. I would pay some cash for shipping.

2) Send my phone and wait a few weeks while they repair it.

Instead I tried calling T-Mobile, since I bought mine in a TMo store. Much better service (and the person wasn't in India!) No out-of-pocket shipping necessary...and when I complained that I didn't want a refurbished the CSR made a note of it for me and said he'll see what he can do.

In less than a week, they sent me (what seems like-- I can't tell) a new Treo 600, and I just put my damaged one into their box and mailed it back. No cash outlay, no headache, no major wait and no hassles.
    Just a word of caution about T-Mobile - if you haven't already shipped your old one back, it might be wise to spend a few extra bucks and get a receipt when you drop it in the mail, along with insurance.

I've had a personal experience (and have heard from others with similar experiences) where I dropped off my old unit into the mail, in the box they provided. They never received it - and, I had no proof that I mailed it. If this happens, they will charge you for the replacement unless you can produce proof that you mailed the old one back.
    Yeah, agree with the above. Verizon gave me no hassle at all when my radio chip failed, and they replaced it with a new one (not refurbished) in 2 days... only because I was calling late at night. They actually apologized to me because it wasn't overnight.

I would definitely get proof of mailing before sending the old one back. I think Verizon did it UPS so I automatically got a confirmation number.