Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I checked the first 3 pages of threads and couldn't find info on this posted...

Some excerpts :

As I mentioned in my previous post, Dial-Up Networking (DUN) is fully enabled with the unlocked Treo 650 GSM and unfortunately still (currently) fully disabled on either Sprint's (CDMA) or Cingular's (GSM) Treo 650.

However, after testing an application called PdaNet from JuneFabrics I am happy to say that owners of either Sprint's or Cingular's Treo 650 (albeit they must be have Windows installed on their PC) will be able to make full use of DUN either via Bluetooth or their USB sync cable (owners of the Treo 600 can also have DUN but only via cable).

In conclusion, while much has been said about Sprint's and Cingular's 'disabled' DUN functionality it was extremely surprising to find out that there was such an easy workaround. As always, it is clear that there are resourceful developers (and hackers) with the ingenuity to correct 'mistakes'. There's no doubt that PdaNet is a must-have application for any Treonaut who wants an easy and very well designed application to enable cable or Bluetooth DUN on their Sprint or Cingular Treo 650.

Finally, as I mentioned previously, this solution is only available to Windows users but Jonathan who is on Mac told me yesterday that a similar (albeit not as elegant) solution as PdaNet called WirelessModem was available to Mac users and I hope that he will find some time to write about this shortly.

http://blog.treonauts.com/
    1 | 2
    wait... are you saying that with programs such as pdanet, it's still possible to make use of btdun without having to install custom roms or patches?
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by b0tes
    wait... are you saying that with programs such as pdanet, it's still possible to make use of btdun without having to install custom roms or patches?
    PdaNet added a BT option for the 650. This came out a day or two after the Sprint 650 started getting sold. Yes, you could do dialup-networking through BT using PdaNet.
  4.    #4  
    According to Treonauts, exactly. I don't have a Treo, so I'm not able to test this myself.
    1 | 2
    I purchased PDANet for my SPCS 650 the day I received the phone. I have been happily using BT DUN ever since. No need for the hack or custom roms. That said, the roms and hacks are free - PDANet is not. PDANet is a very clean and stable solution. I used it on my 600 for over a year and never had any issues with it.

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
    Yep thats exactly right! I too have had this since day two of owning my Treo 650. It will work with GSM (all, att, cing, orange, etc.) and the Sprint CDMA. One other cool hidden feature that most Treo 650 PdaNet owners don't know about though is it will run in the background like ptunes and let you surf on your laptop *WHILE* you are playing around on your Treo 650 running other programs and stuff. Bluetooth or USB is supported on the 650. USB only on the 600.

Just $34.95 at junefabrics.com. Cooler than cool! Just wish they would make a mac version as well!

-Shawn
    What kind of speeds are you guys getting with BT DUN on the GSM T650 in EDGE territory?

I get around 102-110 kbps on CDMA 1XRTT
    Yes, pdanet works, and so does my patch which I released the day after pdanet... Mine is free, but has a few quirks.

In a little while I hope to release a new hack that will fix all the issues and make it seemless.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    shadowmite-- sorry if i'm sounding redundant, but this works with all phones (cdma/gsm)?
    thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    shadowmite-- sorry if i'm sounding redundant, but this works with all phones (cdma/gsm)?
    thanks.
    yes, it's been confirmed for both.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Yes, pdanet works, and so does my patch which I released the day after pdanet... Mine is free, but has a few quirks.

In a little while I hope to release a new hack that will fix all the issues and make it seemless.
    Im looking forward to seeing that patch Shadowmite and will be more than willing to donate once the final product is released. Im a Mac user and from what I know PDAnet is for PC users. I was willing to give wirelessmodem a try but the directions are for sprint users with the CDMA version. I have the GSM version and am with Tmobile.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite

That's big news shadow. That update will basically remove the last reason for buying an unlocked 650. I'm convinced that unlock hacks will be out before the end of the month. A free, seamless DUN patch will close the deal.

Now I have to think about canceling my unlocked order...
    I'm really surprised it took this long for PDANet to get the attention it is. I've been using it on my Treo 600 for a long time and it's super simple to use. I knew they would eventually get a BT connection working (it shouldn't be hard, BT is supposed to be a wireless replacement for a serial cable.)

In any case, I have a question to put out there:
    PDANet VS Bluetooth DUN?
    I fully intend to use PDANet with my unlocked Treo 650 GSM (ocasionally, I don't use it a lot, don't want to get kicked off my unlimited Media Works plan.) But I'll have the option of BT DUN.

The question is, is the carrier (Cingular) able to "See" anything different when you use DUN vs. just using data normally on the Treo. Or is it when you use DUN it just appears that the PDA is using data on it's internal apps?

When you use PDANet, this is the case, it's simply a PDA app using data same as anything else, so the carrier doesn't see anything specific that says a laptop is using the data (except for maybe watching usage patters, but that's another story.)

BT DUN is "Dial-up networking" so does BT DUN actually do anything different to get connected? I suspect the answer is no (otherwise why would Cingular disable it?,) it's just using data like PDANet is. But I really don't know.

If anyone really knows for sure it'd be interesting to see.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    great news...
    so where & when should we look 4 this new patch?
    I think he was baiting a trap
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuru
    I think he was baiting a trap
    though i can see how my response could be misconstrued, i can assure you that it was a genuine question. nothing more.
    Last edited by b0tes; 02/11/2005 at 06:43 PM.
    I have been using the DUN patch form shadwomite for over a month now, I also tried pdanet for a month. I like the patch better because it is free. Why should I pay for a feature that my phone has anyway. I don't know why ppl say the patch is unstable, if you follow the directions to the teeth, it will work without a glitch. I will install the next patch from shadowmite if he says it is more stable. I have not installed any custom roms, the sound quality is great I have 16 apps and tons of games, all (with an exception or two) on my SD card. I use powerrun and I have 18 megs free on my device. btw I also have Docs to go along with its utility (the one that moves most D2G to the card) installed. I only ask for one thing, that it bt headset profiles, I want to be able to press the button on my mot HS810 earpiece any say home and have the phone dial my home number, the earpiece supports this function seems like the 650 does not. Sorry about the long post.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    I have been using the DUN patch form shadwomite for over a month now..... I don't know why ppl say the patch is unstable, if you follow the directions to the teeth, it will work without a glitch.
    If you've been using it for over a month, then obviously you're not using the GSM version of the patch. That's the one where people are having trouble - at least this person. I think a lot of people are using the CDMA version successfully, but the GSM one is more troublesome.
    The only bug the CDMA version has is that you must turn off DUN before you turn off the phone app. or it will go into a soft reset loop. I assume (but would like to now for sure) that the GSM version has the same problem.
    Is PDANet via BT tied to the PC and the Treo (eg. there is software on both that are needed), or can I use DUN on my Ipaq thru my Treo ?
    Chris

Evolution: PalmPilot > Palm Vx > Visor Prism > iPaq 3955 > iPaq 4155 > Treo 600 > Treo 650
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast