Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yes, pdaNet uses software on both sides of the connection to make the connection work. You can try Shadowmite's hack or buy an unlocked Treo... but you won't be able to use pdaNet to connect a PPC to a Treo...
    Quote Originally Posted by crc408
    Is PDANet via BT tied to the PC and the Treo (eg. there is software on both that are needed), or can I use DUN on my Ipaq thru my Treo ?
    If you use the built in (albeit hidden) DUN, you can probably get it to work with your Ipaq (altough I can't imagine why you would be using an Ipaq... oh well).

For those who are new to DUN, check out the tried and true forum here

Instructions for Windows here

Instructions for Macs here
    PDANet has software at both ends.
    Actually PDANET is less problematic then "real" DUN (native version or patched version). PDAnet is basically "install and go" while DUN requires some serial port configuration on the PC side which in some cases is a PITA. PDANet requires no dialup networking ICON on the PC & no "pseudo" serial configuration. PDAnet is great for the technologically challenged. Of course it ain't free.

They also have another progam which is really cool. PDAReach. Requires the USB cable but puts an image of your 600/650 on the screen of your PC and you can remotely run the 650 from the PC keyboard. It's like running PCANywhere. Both have free 30 day demos.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    Actually PDANET is less problematic then "real" DUN (native version or patched version). PDAnet is basically "install and go" while DUN requires some serial port configuration on the PC side which in some cases is a PITA. PDANet requires no dialup networking ICON on the PC & no "pseudo" serial configuration. PDAnet is great for the technologically challenged.
    PDAnet and PDAReach are GREAT products. I would highly recommend them.

To clarify, "real" DUN doesn't require serial port configuration on the PC, but it does require setting the 650 as a bluetooth device and then setting up an connection script to use that device.

If you like to tinker, set up "real" DUN. If you would rather have it work out of the box - use PDAnet!
    You are of course correct, I was thinking in terms of Sync'ing by BT on the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by varoomba
    To clarify, "real" DUN doesn't require serial port configuration on the PC, but it does require setting the 650 as a bluetooth device and then setting up an connection script to use that device.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12