Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I have Cingular service in which they state they do not have an outgoing SMTP server that they will give out. I am looking for a service that I can send outgoing mail through versamail and Cingular.

I have tried photo.mycingular.com as an outgoing server to no avail for outgoing messages. I have no problem receiving messages from my ISP.

Does anyone know of a decent reasonably prices outgoing SPTP server that will work Cingular and Media Works?

Thanks
  2. m99
    We're using mail.bellsouth.net on Cingular.
    <b>T650-Cingular</b>
    Who is your existing ISP. You should be able to use that. I've used my Yahoo, Verizon DSL and COmcast Cable SMTP servers without problem. If they support authentication it should work.

In any case, try this (from my Snappermail docs):

Cingular
    CARRIER SMTP
    To configure SnapperMail to send email using Cingular's server, go to your Server Account settings (Edit Accounts | Server). Enter the following for the Outgoing Mail Server:

SMTP Server: photo.mycingular.com
    Username: cing
    Password: msg

Please note that these settings have not been verified
  4.    #4  
    My ISP is SWBell for my pop3 account on my PC. However, I have tried using this and it failed as well even choosing secure and using my username and password.

I have also tried the myphoto.cingular with the username and password and it as well failed. Downloading messages works fine it is just get messages to send.

I thought I had read that for about $14yr one could use an outgoing SMTP server and have multiple incoming accounts (that correspond with my domain name) and only one outgoing to send messages. This would allow the outgoing messages to appear as if they were sent from my domain or home computer as oppossed to a message coming from me@yahoo or hotmail.com This is what I need for my 650.
    You probably want AUTHENTICATION (ESMTP) not SECURE. It's under the ADVANCED button after you enter the smtp server and hit "next." On that next screen DO NOT check either box then NEXT and choose AUTHENTICATION (ESMTP), then DONE. If that one doesn't work try AUTHENICATION (APOP) from the previous screen. One of them should work. Your email address also needs to be your SWBell address. There are public smtp servers you can subscribe to for a fee. You should be able to get your SWBell working though as long as your email address is the swbell address.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjlepak
    My ISP is SWBell for my pop3 account on my PC. However, I have tried using this and it failed as well even choosing secure and using my username and password.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks and I will try this and let you know if it works.
  7.    #7  
    I having been trying these settings and many others for over a week now. Even called Cingular CS and was told they don't have a SMTP server and would not let me speak to someone higher up. They wend further to tell me that I had to go to yahoo or hotmail to get an email account. Incoming messages on two different accounts are working perfectly. However, I could not send outgoing at all.

I broke down today and signed up for fastmail at www.fastmail.us for a one time fee of $14.95. This gave me an outgoing SMTP server so when I send a message from my 650 it appears as if I sent it from my desktop, at least as far as the address that I sent the email from.

The setup went perfectly and within a few minutes I was able to send messages from me@mydomain.com to anyone from my 650 on two different domain accounts. It is beautiful and fastmail was the cheapest I could find with a one time fee. FWIW I am using snappermail premier instead of versamail as it appears to handle multiple accounts better so far and stores messages on my SD card.

Hope this helps someone as this process has been a pain and of course Cingular is of absolutely no help.

my .02
    I saw this in the howard forums. If someone tries it let us know if it works.

"Enter cwmx.com as the SMTP server name, and use the default settings."

I assume that stands for Cingular Wireless Media Express.
    I had been using photo.mycingular.com as my outgoing SMTP server for quite some time but last month it would randomly hang on outgoing emails. I switched to cwmx.com and have been using it flawlessly for the last few weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    I saw this in the howard forums. If someone tries it let us know if it works.

"Enter cwmx.com as the SMTP server name, and use the default settings."

I assume that stands for Cingular Wireless Media Express.
    nope. got this> versamail: "unable to connect to cwmx.com, please verify your server name entry"

my current setup:
    • device: cingular 650 [subsidy unlocked]
    • carrier: t-mobile
    • email: gmail.com
    • smtp settings: port 587, using SSL
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by b0tes
    nope. got this> versamail: "unable to connect to cwmx.com, please verify your server name entry"

my current setup:
    • device: cingular 650 [subsidy unlocked]
    • carrier: t-mobile
    • email: gmail.com
    • smtp settings: port 587, using SSL
    if your account is through TMo, you shouldn't be able to use Cingular's mail servers, though, right? you'd need TMo's SMTP info.

-ae
    If animals are deprived of hope ... they are compensated by being given an almost endless patience for enduring, or simply for waiting. - Joseph Wood Krutch
    Beloved old unbranded GSM 650 shorting out and retired.
    Now happily driving the Black Euro GSM Centro. Yum.
    Quote Originally Posted by aethyric
    if your account is through TMo, you shouldn't be able to use Cingular's mail servers, though, right? you'd need TMo's SMTP info.

-ae
    yeah, that's what i figured, too. but my tmo smtp won't work either. it worked just fine a few days ago on my 600, but since i switched to the 650 and versamail, it just won't take to it.

my smtp is usually as follows:
    • server: myemail.t-mobile.com
    • port: 587
    • SSL enabled
    and that was it. i can only assume it's a problem with versamail. i'd hate to think i'm doing something wrong here, but i haven't quite ruled that out either :\
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by b0tes
    yeah, that's what i figured, too. but my tmo smtp won't work either. it worked just fine a few days ago on my 600, but since i switched to the 650 and versamail, it just won't take to it.
    Taken from the palmone site:

T-Mobile You may not need to enter an SMTP username and password. However, if you're having problems sending, you may need to contact T-Mobile and register your POP server and password. You'll be issued an SMTP username and password for sending emails on T-Mobile's SMTP server. While you're at the T-Mobile website, turn off the Alerts option, or you'll receive SMS messages containing the text of received emails.

SMTP Server: myemail.t-mobile.com
    User name: None, or T-Mobile SMTP username (above)
    Password: None, or T-Mobile SMTP password (above)

may need to register your gmail account with TMo? (still looking for more answers.)

-ae
    If animals are deprived of hope ... they are compensated by being given an almost endless patience for enduring, or simply for waiting. - Joseph Wood Krutch
    also, b0tes, from reading other forums, it looks as though you might be able to set up your pop info from your web account for TMo... wouldn't know where to find it in the site, tho, as i'm with cingular. maybe dig around some?

-ae
    Quote Originally Posted by aethyric
    also, b0tes, from reading other forums, it looks as though you might be able to set up your pop info from your web account for TMo... wouldn't know where to find it in the site, tho, as i'm with cingular. maybe dig around some?

-ae
    yeah, no i did try that as well. found the smtp and pop3 settings and everything, and still it wouldn't send. i can't imagine what i'm possibly doing wrong.
    mjlepak,

I have used cwmx for serveal mos without any problems. To make sure I just sent myself a message without a problem.

ek
  17.    #17  
    Wish I would have seen this information before I went with Fastmail. Oh well, I am just happy to have everything working. I am going to test the setting in my area just to see if they work.

Thanks,
    Hi Guys. I'm a newbie trying to learn. I can receive emails but can't send any. Have a Treo 650 using versamail with media works and my own company's POP3 email account. What are the setting for cwmx or another way to setup the outgoing server? I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ekegley
    mjlepak,

I have used cwmx for serveal mos without any problems. To make sure I just sent myself a message without a problem.

ek
    Are you able to access work email from your computer at HOME? If so you should be able to setup Versamail exactly as you do from home. Same SMTP setup.
    At home, my outgoing server is my company's pop3 (mail.smartassprod.com). Unfortunately that does not work on my treo. I've tried authenticating it (even though I do not need to do that from home) and a host of other solutions with no success.
    Any Ideas? Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast