Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I will be getting a treo here in a few days. I've heard some people refer to zlauncher. What exactly is it, other than an alturnate desktop, and since I'm not a "power user" do I even need it. As far as that goes, what are some of the apps that I should have. Is there a way to use an MP3 as a ringtone. can you change backrounds? Cut me some slack please. We were all new to the "smart phone" at one time or another.

Thanks for the info
    IMHO ZLauncher is the best of the group. Because you will probably want to move some or most of your 3rd party apps to an SD card, you will need software to do this. Nothing does it better or more effortlessly than ZLauncher.
    I have not looked at another launchers recently, I have been using MegaLauncer for years. Version 5.5 has just been released and it continues to be awesome. It uses a very customizable "tabbed" interface, it moves/copies and/or loads programs for memory cards very quickly. It really has a lot of utilities and file management capabilites (change attributes, delete databases/prefences with programs); select information to display at top (signal strength, time, battery, memory, etc.); favorites, trash compression and management, yadda, yadda - very cool
    Can't you use the built in apps to move a file to the sd card. I did it with all my games on my 600
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
    I can't do a comparative review since I've only used one launcher. However, I have had no problems with Zlauncher since I've got it, and I've been very impressed with what it can do. I haven't even done any of the power user stuff with my own skins, etc., just use the basic tabbed interface.

The big thing for Zlauncher, though, is you can move infrequently used applications to the SD card and run them directly from there. It copies the program AND ALL DATABASES to the SD card, then recopies them into memory and back out again before running, so the apps don't even need to be SD compatible for Zlauncher to allow them to run.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the info. I think I will be picking it up once I recieve my treo. How about using MP3s for a custom ringer? Most of the "custom" ringers out there suck ****. I figure since you can use it for a MP3 player, why can't you use them for ringers as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by curbcheck
    I will be getting a treo here in a few days. I've heard some people refer to zlauncher. What exactly is it, other than an alturnate desktop, and since I'm not a "power user" do I even need it. As far as that goes, what are some of the apps that I should have. Is there a way to use an MP3 as a ringtone. can you change backrounds? Cut me some slack please. We were all new to the "smart phone" at one time or another.

Thanks for the info
    ZLauncher is a system manager and application launcher for your Palm. I believe that you will eventually find you want an alternative launcher on your device. As to which one I suggest you check out three: ZLauncher, Facer, and MagaLauncher. As to which one you need to decide which one fits your needs best. To many the choice of a launcher is like a religion, you are not going to get a fair answer on which one is best.
    I tried ZLauncher on my Treo 600 and found the background pictures looked just horrible. All grainy and fuzzy. Are there any options for low-res screens on these background images that look halfway decent on a 600? Same thing on the icons... I don't really like how they look with ZLauncher. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but they looked smaller and had these little black graphics next to them (ROM?). Anyway, it wasn't a "clean" look at all. But I do want the file management capabilities. Is there any way to get the file management options without using the launcher? (probably a dumb question!)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgarza
    Can't you use the built in apps to move a file to the sd card. I did it with all my games on my 600
    Yes, but using the OS method will only move the application (prc file) to the card. ZLauncher, and others, will also move database files, which frequently are much, much larger than the app itself.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Yes, but using the OS method will only move the application (prc file) to the card. ZLauncher, and others, will also move database files, which frequently are much, much larger than the app itself.
    What are some of the others that move the db files?
    Quote Originally Posted by Llynx
    I tried ZLauncher on my Treo 600 and found the background pictures looked just horrible. All grainy and fuzzy. Are there any options for low-res screens on these background images that look halfway decent on a 600? Same thing on the icons... I don't really like how they look with ZLauncher. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but they looked smaller and had these little black graphics next to them (ROM?). Anyway, it wasn't a "clean" look at all. But I do want the file management capabilities. Is there any way to get the file management options without using the launcher? (probably a dumb question!)
    ZLauncher does look much better on a high res device like the 650. There are low-res skins and images available for ZLauncher, some expressly designed for the Treo 600, but there's only so much you can do with tiny icons on a 160x160 screen. Search on PalmGear, Handango, etc. using the term "ZLauncher" and you'll find many to choose from. Also note that you don't have to use background images at all. I prefer a plain white background anyway. You can also customize it to remove some of the icons from the top and/or bottom toolbars, which cleans up the look quite a bit.

You can get file management capabilities with the free FileZ utility. If you mean the ability to move apps to the memory card, search for PowerRun.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Llynx
    I tried it too, and it was ugly and cluncky and SLOW on my treo 600. Is it diffent on the 650?
    238 Posts
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Llynx,

I just went through the customization to clean up the look. If you tap the active tab again, it will open the menus to change all sorts of stuff. It's the shadowing effect that looks so bad on the T600 screen. If you have a registered version you can apply your changes to all tabs if you want. I am now very satisfied with the look.

Make sure you start with one of the low res themes for the T600's 160x160 screen. Hope this helps!

Mac
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    what about the speed in opening apps?
    238 Posts
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    No delays on my T600. Very fast.
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    Quote Originally Posted by curbcheck
    Thanks for the info. I think I will be picking it up once I recieve my treo. How about using MP3s for a custom ringer? Most of the "custom" ringers out there suck ****. I figure since you can use it for a MP3 player, why can't you use them for ringers as well?

The combination of Treo Gaurd and pocket tunes works nicely for mp3 ringers. Both are great apps to have
    Quote Originally Posted by McTreo
    Llynx,

I just went through the customization to clean up the look. If you tap the active tab again, it will open the menus to change all sorts of stuff. It's the shadowing effect that looks so bad on the T600 screen. If you have a registered version you can apply your changes to all tabs if you want. I am now very satisfied with the look.

Make sure you start with one of the low res themes for the T600's 160x160 screen. Hope this helps!

Mac
    That is good news ... I did not do much with the options but now I know what to look for. Thanks for your help!
    LauncherX is also really good - and easy to setup
    I much prefere launcher x to z launcher - it's simpler cleaner, just as powerful and doesn't have the really bad z-launcher 'feature' of not deleting things when it says it has.
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    does launcher x move the db files with the app to and from memory? I really hate it that apps in the memory card leave those files behind and fill up my phone's memory