1.    #1  
    Admittedly I am a complete noob on the Treo phones. (Not a tech noob, however.) But I just got my T650 (Sprint) and am worried that I made a huge mistake. Hope I post this in the right area since I thnk it is a hardware issue....

But...
    If I go into the web mode on the T650, like to use Yahoo or AIM, then I simply cannot receive phone calls, they go straight to voicemail, which I also don't receive notice of...

And...
    When I leave that mode (there seems to be no way to disconnect the web), it will take upwards of 30 minutes before my phone will start taking calls again. I can make outward calls though.

This is very frustrating as I had hoped to use the phone for work purposes and MUST get my alpha pages expediently.

Is this a by-design issue? I just can't imagine that, why would people not want to get a phone call if they have the web open. At the very minimum, it should work and pop-up a "You have a call from" type of message.

I have read and searched and cannot find anything about this issue, so I am wondering if I have a defective phone? I have not installed any other third party apps yet either, just what came on the phone.

Any suggestions/advise would be appreciated.
    If I remember correctly (I have GSM ATT 650, not Sprint), the "can't do 2 things at once" problem is a "feature" of the CDMA (Sprint/Verizon) device.

You can (must) disconnect from the web or web application by clicking the button above the red phone button and selecting the DISCONNECT or EXIT option. If you don't disconnect it will stay connected either forever (if data is being transferred) or until it times out and you won't get voice calls.

On the GSM version (Cingular, ATT etc) if data is not actually being transferred at the moment when a call comes in the phone will ring through. Kinda like a half-duplex speaker phone when only one side can talk at a time vs full duplex when both sides can talk/listen at once. At least my GSM (AT&T) version works that way.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on the Sprint model, but my ATT model will take calls while in Blazer as long as data isn't being moved at the time of the call. If it is, it will go to voice mail without any notiification.

Quote Originally Posted by webmistress
    Admittedly I am a complete noob on the Treo phones. (Not a tech noob, however.) But I just got my T650 (Sprint) and am worried that I made a huge mistake. Hope I post this in the right area since I thnk it is a hardware issue....

But...
    If I go into the web mode on the T650, like to use Yahoo or AIM, then I simply cannot receive phone calls, they go straight to voicemail, which I also don't receive notice of...

And...
    When I leave that mode (there seems to be no way to disconnect the web), it will take upwards of 30 minutes before my phone will start taking calls again. I can make outward calls though.

This is very frustrating as I had hoped to use the phone for work purposes and MUST get my alpha pages expediently.

Is this a by-design issue? I just can't imagine that, why would people not want to get a phone call if they have the web open. At the very minimum, it should work and pop-up a "You have a call from" type of message.

I have read and searched and cannot find anything about this issue, so I am wondering if I have a defective phone? I have not installed any other third party apps yet either, just what came on the phone.

Any suggestions/advise would be appreciated.
    I use Chatter, which means I am constantly logged into Sprint Vision.

I just checked my Treo, and saw that I was logged into Vision but not currently transferring data. That means "grey arrows".

Just called myself from my work phone, and the Treo rang semi-immediately.

So, I don't think just the Vision connection is going to be a problem. I don't know about chat programs because I rarely use them, but I shouldn't think they'd be too persistent. If you really think it's an issue, you can explicitly disconnect, as mentioned above.

Tom
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I have a sprint treo 650 and just tried it. Had blazer on and pulled up a website. Called myself and the phone rang fine.
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Neither service can accept calls when data is being transferred. GSM has a quicker "release" as opposed to my sprint phone that tends to keep the connection active 10-15 seconds after the data has been transmitted. On sprint the arrows will go from green "active" to grey "inactive". These colors directly correlate to when your calls will come through. With GSM, the arrows always seem to be green but calls come through right away if no data is being transferred. I just tried it and the calls are able to go through on my cingular phone immediately after opening a web page. GSM must do a much better job of signaling when it's active/inactive.
    how/where did you get aol im for your treo? i assume there is a special version i need?
    Quote Originally Posted by steelers1
    how/where did you get aol im for your treo? i assume there is a special version i need?
    Check out Causerie (www.mantragroup.com) or Verichat (www.pdaapps.com). The 2 most widely used IM clients on this board for the most part.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by kevroc
    Neither service can accept calls when data is being transferred.
    I'll second that. I actually did some experimenting with this when I got my Treo 650 and installed Treo Alert Manager. If you are actively transacting data (I used a DSL speed test site to guarantee my phone would be receiving data for the better part of a minute while I tried calling myself from a landline.) calls will be sent straight to voicemail, where the caller can either leave a voice message or send a "Please Call" text message. Within several seconds of the data transaction's completion, your Treo will get notification of the new voice or text message.

There is another--very similar--issue I have encountered with Sprint (which I'm sure affects all carriers to varying degrees): sometimes (usually during "banker's hours" when I'm sure the network is most heavily burdened) voice calls will get sent to voicemail, I presume simply because the network can't spare the bandwidth to deliver the call to your phone. These voicemails/text messages may be delivered in a most untimely manner, again presumably due to network congestion.

Finally, the delivery of voice and text message notification has been unpredictable, in my experience, when roaming off Sprint's network. Sometimes you get it promptly, sometimes you get it late, and sometimes you get it only when you cross back over into Sprint coverage.
    PEG N760C>Treo 600>iPaq4350>Zaurus SL-5600>Zaurus SL-6000L>Treo 650
    Well, I think you've gotten the answer to your first question: It should not be taking 30 minutes after completing a data transfer to receive calls. If that's really happening you have either a defective unit or a software problem. Watch your arrows and see when they turn from green to gray--you should be able to get a call then.

As for the notification, check out Butler or TreoAlertManager. Both will give you an audible alert that you have a waiting voicemail or page.

HTH,
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will check out the other programs too.

The version of AIM/Yahoo I am using was already on my phone within Blazer. I have not installed anything except a ringer yet on the phone. (As a side note, I also noticed I have a "soft" P so hoping it don't break. <sigh>)

Now, oddly enough, AFTER I posted online this morning, I did find another post about how to disconnect. It isn't under the Blazer meno on my phone. I have to go to Prefs, then Network, then disconnect.

But, I disabled BOTH the auto time feature and keyguard (took me a while to find that one) and somehow, just about all of my testing worked. I did get an immediate notification of call when I was in Blazer, and was able to take it too. I think it was just like what others said, that few seconds between gray and green in the arrows. But, I haven't yet tested actually leaving VM and seeing how long it takes to come over.

THis phone is amazing so far is all I have to say. Not so impressed with the battery life yet, but I have been playing with it A LOT. (I am in bed with a torn knee ligament so what else do I have to do.)

Oh, yeah, one more thing. I did find a crazy thing. Even though my old phone no longer works (I kept it for analog 911 usage), if I don't get the text message notification on the T650, it is going to the old phone. I can't do anything about it there, but it is notifying me. How crazy is that?
    Last edited by webmistress; 02/10/2005 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Add a note:
    You must be using a web based aim/yahoo. As for the disconnect it IS in Blazer. I'm looking at it now unless the Sprint Blazer is different then the GSM Blazer.

You don't see this in the Blazer menu (sorry for the big image) ??

http://img217.exs.cx/img217/629/palm4xq.jpg

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will check out the other programs too.

The version of AIM/Yahoo I am using was already on my phone within Blazer. I have not installed anything except a ringer yet on the phone. (As a side note, I also noticed I have a "soft" P so hoping it don't break. <sigh>)

Now, oddly enough, AFTER I posted online this morning, I did find another post about how to disconnect. It isn't under the Blazer meno on my phone. I have to go to Prefs, then Network, then disconnect.
    GSM is the same...missed the part in the first message that webmistress was actually in blazer

13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    You must be using a web based aim/yahoo. As for the disconnect it IS in Blazer. I'm looking at it now unless the Sprint Blazer is different then the GSM Blazer.

You don't see this in the Blazer menu (sorry for the big image) ??
    No, I sure don't. My list ends with Page Info. And doggone it, I just did my first hotsynch and it changed my settings back and I have that darn keyguard on again.

I also was being a real "noob" and after uninstalling my old Palm Desktop, forgot to remove any folders, so it installed a bunch of old crap from my old Palm 3xe. Oye vey. :-(
    Wow ... that is weird.
    No, I sure don't. My list ends with Page Info.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd

The Sprint Blazer must be different, because mine stops at Page Info, too! It may be that because Sprint's Vision is always unlimited service, there's no real need to manually disconnect, whereas the GSM vendors all offer limited data plans, so users would have a reason to disconnect ASAP.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Is it under "Options" perhaps? That's where it was on the 600 after a firmware update on GSM...