Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I switched over from Unlimited data to media works unlimited and after fixing a bug in the system Cingular told me that if i were using the internet with a treo 650...they would be charging me for data over use with the web and what not. As far as I can tell thats total BS. Can anyone else confirm this? From what I have heard here there is no way that they can tell which phone you use with the sim card and no charges for overages in data use. I guess this is their was to dissuade anyone from using the 20 dollar option especially when its changing over in a few days.

Thanks

Evan
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    total BS. A regular phone like an SE T610 would use almost as much data as a Treo if you set up the email client to do automatic pop3 email every 15 minutes or so. Throw in some Wap browsing and you can use 10megs a month... and that is far from unlimited! I wouldn't worry about it.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  3.    #3  
    Or if you tether using a bluetooth cingular phone like a v551 or t637 u can use up some serious bandwidth over a months time.
    At first I was trip'n on the media works as well after reading all the posts here! I just went last night to a cingular store bought the 650 & when I asked about media works, the sales rep said that it would not work for data! I told her that I have a few friends with the 650 and it works! Then I told her that I was switching over from sprint (don't know if that helped) cuz then she said well I can add it but it won't work and you'll be stuck with it! Now I'm stuck with it & it works GREAT!!! And, it is $19.99/Unlimited! I guess one just has to roll dice and get lucky!
    I spoke to a Cing rep who said that the unlimited is only for basic web surfing, but that if you download files or go beyond browser based surfing it would cost more. I asked if this applied to email and he couldn't say.
    Two questions:
    * Are you restricted to basic net traffic, such as pop3, imap4 and http?
    * If you can use other ports, what does your MEdia (minutes) usage look like?
    I just added MediaWorks on my phone from a Cust Rep, and she volunteered "unlimited internet / data" info to me. I asked her again to make sure that it is indeed unlimited internet and data, and she said, "yes". SMS is only 1500, of course.

-TJ
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Where do the Cingular CS reps get this complete 100% CRAP? It doesn't even make any sense.
    Its an UNLIMITED data plan. For what it's worth I've had the Media Works since July and never paid a penny more than $20. And I use 50-100 MB/month. I've read many others on Howard Forums use upwards of 400-500MB/month.
    I use mail, web, and PDANet to VPN in to work from my laptop.

Be stoked you got yhe $20 MW plan before it's gone. It's a steal (which is probabally why they're getting rid of it.)
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I heard from some cingular users on hofo that if you stay below 150 MB per month you're safe, and that higher than that on a consistent basis raises the flag. Cingular maintains that they have the right to whatever....but you have the right to cancel if they limit your plan. Unlimited means unlimited. When will Cingular get it through their heads?
    So, I'm confused now....I ordered my 650 through Cingular's site with my companies discount. It forced me to only one option: a $33 unlimited data plan (regularly $44.99 apparently). I figured I can just call Cingular, remove it & add Mediaworks unlimted. Is this true? Is the $33 plan that I'm getting EDGE?? Or are the speeds/bandwidth the same as Mediaworks??
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurora
    So, I'm confused now....I ordered my 650 through Cingular's site with my companies discount. It forced me to only one option: a $33 unlimited data plan (regularly $44.99 apparently). I figured I can just call Cingular, remove it & add Mediaworks unlimted. Is this true? Is the $33 plan that I'm getting EDGE?? Or are the speeds/bandwidth the same as Mediaworks??
    yes you should be able to do that no prob. and yes, they're both the same speeds. pm me if you need further assistance with getting it added/removed.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    I have cingular MW unlimited for 19.95 and have had for several months to go with my MPX220 and in anticipation of my T650. I recently got my T650 from my local Key Account Rep and everything works flawlessly. Edge speeds are great compared with my 220 and no I do not believe that I will get charges any overages as my T650 does everything my 220 did only better.

My .02
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    I heard from some cingular users on hofo that if you stay below 150 MB per month you're safe, and that higher than that on a consistent basis raises the flag. Cingular maintains that they have the right to whatever....but you have the right to cancel if they limit your plan. Unlimited means unlimited. When will Cingular get it through their heads?
    This is good advice period. It's best to not abuse the service that you're getting for a decent price. For example, if you teather, don't do it all of the time and don't do it when you don't need to (but don't be afraid to do it.)
    And yeah, unlimited is unlimited. They should have put an arbitrary limit like 100MB on it if they didn't want people to really use it as an unlimited plan. However they aren't the only ones to do it. People with Comcast cable modems get canceled for using too much bandwidth as well (when it's unlimited.) Those people are usually running peer-to-peer file sharing 24/7 sucking max up/down bandwidth the whole time (but that doesn't make it right) so those people are really pushing it.

The moral of the story is to not abuse it, but also don't worry about it. The worst that will happen is that they'll kick you off the plan and you'll have to buy a more expensive unlimited plan (like that makes any sense.) They should not ever charge you per KB when you have an unlimited plan or it's a billing error that you need them to fix. This has happened to people on HoFo and it turned out to be a billing system glitch that was adding pay per use to the accounts on top of Media Works causing them to get billed per KB. Cingular fixed erroneous charges for them when they called.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Just got off the phone with cingular cs, and she told me they are cancelling the plan because htey realised what a bargain it was
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    But, if I were to change plans (I'm on Local--more minutes/less $, IMO, no travel soon) to a National plan, or make any changes, they can change plans (your grandfathered unlimited MEdiaWorks, for instance), so I'm reading on boards lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    But, if I were to change plans (I'm on Local--more minutes/less $, IMO, no travel soon) to a National plan, or make any changes, they can change plans (your grandfathered unlimited MEdiaWorks, for instance), so I'm reading on boards lately.

Don't count on it. I am on Cingular Blue, and was told that if I move to California from Texas, I would have to switch to a Cingular Orange plan. It made no sense to me, but the CS lady said something about how ATTWS palns are not on the system anymore, so they would have to migrate me over to Cingular. Does anyone else have any experiences with migrating to a new state on Cingular/ATTWS? BTW, my piont was that basically if you make any changes and they say the plans are no longer in their system, what can you do?
    We are all dead, we just don't know it yet.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    I think you misread me; I mean to say, if you change plans, they'll change your MEdiaWorks plan. The bastards.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    I dont see how they can change you're media works plan just because you change your minutes. Media works is an add on...I could be wrong since I have been before but I just dont see it
    Acccording to some Cingular reps (and I trust none) if you change plans the Cingular system treats the change as it does a new account, and you're subjected to the 3MB limitation in MW.

In my case it was more serious. I ported a Sprint number into my account. As a result two accounts were created instead of an add-on.
    I'm a little confused. Didn't they just start offering the new unlimited plan for $24.99. This is also the plan that still shows on cingulars web site when you go to purchase a new phone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast