1.    #1  
    I have had my 650 for 8 days now. For the first six days I used only what came on the CD and had no problems AT ALL !!!!!! On day 7 I figured everything was going OK so I would try some 3rd party software. BAD MOVE!!

After installing PDANet, Pocket Tunes, FileZ, and Zlauncher I crashed and burned hard core. For the past two days I have had a range of issues from on and off data connections, to the old 0000000000000000000000 voice mail number, to multiple soft resets, etc...

I have decided to go back to stock and take out everything that did not come on the disc. This is a tough pill to swallow as you can imagine. The only good thing is I know I can have great functionality of core functions on this phone. With Xpressmail I get all of my corporate and personnel email "pushed "right to me, the contacts and calendar are usable, and with docs to go and a game I have everything I NEED right here ( notice I stress NEED) obviously there are some add ons that I would like to have but life is full of small sacrifices.

Anyway, I know my feelings will not be shared by most but if this is the only way I can habe a stable device until a patch/something better comes out then this is what I'll do!!
    Treoseur
    Why don;t you install Uninstall Manager and set it up so that any new program you load is placed in a sandbox for you to evaluate if it works well or not before you 'promote' it to be part of your Treo's applications?
  3.    #3  
    I don't have uninstall manager, and the beauty of my new setup is that I don't need it!!
    Treoseur
  4.    #4  
    I see what you're saying though
    Treoseur
    Quote Originally Posted by jhat3k1
    After installing PDANet, Pocket Tunes, FileZ, and Zlauncher I crashed and burned hard core.
    Is that all you installed? If so, my guess would be that your problems are probably due to zLauncher, especially if you were setting it up to run apps from the SD card.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  6.    #6  
    thas exactly what I was doing. It's funny though, since I stripped everything out the device is super fast and has had no problems. I still have pdanet, zap, and adobe reader on my sd card. Has anyone noticed any issues with any of these?
    Treoseur
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Wow that seems like a waste to me. Part of the beauty of the Palm OS is the number of useful programs that are out.
    based on my exper. with the 600, anything which tries and out smarts the OS (ZLauncher,PDAnet,PocketTunes) causes no end of problems, also such little helpers that enhance the incoming call are also "the Devils own" so be aware , Filze is a run and stop app so these are mighty ok.. Dont forget that the OS is NOT Multi Tasking and any thing trying to make it so , is really messing up the interupts and timers within the OS...and thats where the issues start... :-)
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    I wouldn't call it a waste. Granted, some of the stuff users install on the device aren't offered by P1 as standard apps, but for me the stuff that came loaded does the job. So far the only thing I've added in terms of applications is splash wallet - i think that's the name of it - to keep tabs on one of my accounts. Other than that, I'm good with what's on it. I'll rarely, if ever, have to review a word document on my device - so I haven't even loaded the docs 2 go app. Tetris and the other freebies that came with the device will hold me for now. And I'm so used to the factory contacts and calendar apps, that I haven't had a need to experiment with any of the third party products out there. I've had 2 soft resets so far, and they both came while pressing a button while a website was loading on the device. Not sure why it happened, but other than having no clue how to get versamail to pick up my yahoo or verizon.net e-mail, no problems here running the stock stuff.
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    thas exactly what I was doing. It's funny though, since I stripped everything out the device is super fast and has had no problems. I still have pdanet, zap, and adobe reader on my sd card. Has anyone noticed any issues with any of these?

Zlauncher shouldn't be a problem unless you're trying to move apps that need to be memory resident to function. Remember not all apps should be moved to the card...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Zlauncher shouldn't be a problem unless you're trying to move apps that need to be memory resident to function. Remember not all apps should be moved to the card...
    and if you need to run apps from SD or Virtualy Expand your memory use PowerRun, except for a little bug with PALMREADER it's cool and wont mess up your device...
    Quote Originally Posted by webdave
    Wow that seems like a waste to me. Part of the beauty of the Palm OS is the number of useful programs that are out.
    It's the Palm Paradox.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  13.    #13  
    I made a mistake and payed the price! After going back to stock I tried to reinstall activesync. I erased everything but I after I re-synced some stuff made it back on. I know because I had a pic and special ringtone for my wife and they started reappearing. I even made a new activesync profile name and it still synced old stuff in. How do I prevent this? I guess the point behind this is the I started having some resets again afetr the sync so I have hard reset again. Due to the fact that I dont need anything from the disc I dont plan on syncing again. I use xpressmail so I get my emails and calender updated automatically. As stated before I HAVE NO ISSUES WITH THE PHONE AFETR HARD RESETS!!!! And I plan on leaving it that way!!
    Treoseur
    How do I prevent this?
    You need to rename or delete your user folder BEFORE hotsyncing after a hard reset.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  15.    #15  
    I deleted everything I could find on my computer that said or had to do with palm, then I reinstalled and had some residual info from previous sync.
    Treoseur
    I thought ZLauncer was supposed to be a good solution for running apps from the card? I use ZLauncher on my Clie currently and if I can't run it on my Treo the Treo will probably go back...
    I agree with gfunkmagic. I seriously doubt the problems were caused by ZLauncher rather than maybe caused by some inappropriate app being stored on the SD card using ZLauncher. For example, if you install pTunes on the SD card using ZLauncher and try to switch away while playing music expecting it to continue working in the background, you are asking for trouble.

Generally, any application that is supposed to function while it is not the current app should not be stored on the SD card.
    I have many apps moved to the card with Zlaubcher and they cause me no problems at all. installing a bunch of apps at once, and moving a bunch to the card all at once makes it impossible to debug any problems that pop up. Do one at a time. that's even good advice for a PC.

But if you're happy with stock, then be happy. It would drive me nuts.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    After installing PDANet, Pocket Tunes, FileZ, and Zlauncher I crashed and burned hard core. For the past two days I have had a range of issues from on and off data connections, to the old 0000000000000000000000 voice mail number, to multiple soft resets, etc...
    I too just recieved my phone middle of last week and I'm running all of the above with the exception of PDANet just fine. I consider those apps, including a few others, to be apps I install right off the bat. I really enjoy Zlauncher and Pocket Tunes kicks ****. I like listing to the "Prank Calls" stream.

I also have Uninstall Manager installed and I love it, great little tool.