Page 1 of 62 1234561151 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have received several questions and comments regarding GoodLink. Being that the majority of the threads are not GoodLink related where these questions come up, I wanted to start a thread where folks could ask to their hearts content. A couple of things:

This is NOT an official response from Good Technology nor is it officially sanctioned by Good. I work at Good and know GoodLink features and functionality of the product, but I am doing this on my own accord.

This is NOT meant to be a an area to receive official technical support for existing GoodLink or GoodAccess installations. Support is included in the subscription and can be accessed at 1-866-7-BE-GOOD. If I don

I will be glad to answer questions regarding GoodLink, and to a certain extent GoodAccess, though I have very little information outside of what is available on www.good.com as it relates to GoodAccess.
    I currently have Infowave's Symmetry Pro for e-mail on the Treo 600 provided to me by my office. I learned from our IT guys that Infowave is dumping this product and they need to find a replacement. I have been looking into options to point them towards, and want to find a program that overcomes some of the glaring omissions in SymPro.

One 'must have' function is the ability to attach documents and photos to outgoing e-mail sent from the Treo (I couldn't believe it when I learned that SymPro did not support this!). I've heard that GoodLink doesn't either. Is this true?
  3.    #3  
    Unfortunately, this is true. GoodLink does not yet support attachments to outgoing email sent from the device. Documents that are received in your Outlook inbox (and, therefore, your email) can be viewed, forwarded, saved on the device or SD card, but not attached to an outgoing email. My understanding is late Summer and we should have attachment support, but that is purely speculation and nothing official has been announced.
    Ditto to Hofo's question: Why is this so hard to do? I have been using my 600 for nearly a year and am still torqued that I can't snap a picture and then send it along with an e-mail to my staff, colleagues, etc.

With SymPro I can also receive Word and Excel attachments, which I can open and edit w/ DocsToGo, but then I can't send them back to the sender with my comments/corrections. How stupid is that?

This functionality seems so obvious! Why wasn't it in the first version of your software????
  5.    #6  
    Wow...the anger

I don't know the technical reason as to why it wasn't/hasn't been implemented, but I have heard somethings along the lines of our security model makes it a bit more difficult than it would seem. We handle opening and editing with Docs2Go and you can save them on the device or card after editing, but I simply can't tell you the reason why we can't attach and send. Let me do some digging and see if I can get a more techincal reason. Don't hold your breath for a quick answer as this is something we have been after for awhile, which leads me to believe that if it was a quick easy feature, we would have it.
    GoodGuy,
    Thanks for the honesty and sorry for the anger Glad to get that off my chest. As you can probably tell, it has been building up for a while!

To a non-IT guy, this functionality seems so logical. That's part of why I got the device, in order to pass information back and forth while I'm mobile. I just hate not being able to take full advantage of this incredible device's capabilities..

Please keep us posted on Good's progress in this area!

Thanks!
  7.    #8  
    Not a problem at at all. Believe me, I hear that every single day. Once we have that capability, look out..then again, after we do have it, there will be something else people want that we won't have that will anger folks. Such is the life in a new, hot industry.
    Here's the deal with attachments when using Exchange-connected mail apps like GoodLink, or Intellisync (or even the hated BES, for that matter):
    The reason you can't attach outbound attachments, from the handheld, is that messages created ON the handheld are essentially the same as messages created in Exchange. Because of that, and because there's no way for Exchange (or Notes, for that matter) to know what file is located resident on the local handheld, there's no way for an outbound message to contain an attachment, and then have that message (with the attachment) flow through Exchange and out. Quite simply stated, Exchange can't see the attachment, and won't send it. And this is due to the fact that Good, Intellisync, Seven, etc, depend on Exchange to SEND the message, for better or worse.
    Of course, standalone mail clients like Snapper CAN do outbound attachments. That's because there's no Exchange or Domino server involved.
    Make sense?
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Thanks for starting a goodlink thread. I just got goodlink installed on my Treo 650 and it uses half the memory on the smartphone.

Is there a way for me to move some or all of the files associated with the application to the secure digital flash card so many of us have added (due to the meager ram native to the phone)?

So far, I am very impressed with goodlink. Its many features are quite useful, but obviously require a lot of ram...

Also, I have been getting a lot of "page is too large" when browsing the good.com website with the Treo...

-Sean
  10.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    Here's the deal with attachments when using Exchange-connected mail apps like GoodLink, or Intellisync (or even the hated BES, for that matter):
    The reason you can't attach outbound attachments, from the handheld, is that messages created ON the handheld are essentially the same as messages created in Exchange. Because of that, and because there's no way for Exchange (or Notes, for that matter) to know what file is located resident on the local handheld, there's no way for an outbound message to contain an attachment, and then have that message (with the attachment) flow through Exchange and out. Quite simply stated, Exchange can't see the attachment, and won't send it. And this is due to the fact that Good, Intellisync, Seven, etc, depend on Exchange to SEND the message, for better or worse.
    Of course, standalone mail clients like Snapper CAN do outbound attachments. That's because there's no Exchange or Domino server involved.
    Make sense?
    That is as good an explanation as there is. We could send attachments, however, it would compromise our security model. As it stands, GL only opens an outbound path through firewalls. The entire premise of GL is our security and that is where we run into issues with attachments. Word is late summer, early fall we will have it. Crossing my fingers on that one.
  11.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by seanoj
    Thanks for starting a goodlink thread. I just got goodlink installed on my Treo 650 and it uses half the memory on the smartphone.

Is there a way for me to move some or all of the files associated with the application to the secure digital flash card so many of us have added (due to the meager ram native to the phone)?

So far, I am very impressed with goodlink. Its many features are quite useful, but obviously require a lot of ram...

Also, I have been getting a lot of "page is too large" when browsing the good.com website with the Treo...

-Sean
    As for the memory footprint, Goodlink 3.8 (version on the 650) takes between 9 and 10MB. Part of that is the way the Treo addresses memory and we are all waiting for a firmware upgrade from Palm that will address that. Unfortunately, you can't move any of the GL files to the SD card. There are several threads here on TC that have addressed the memory concerns with GL and ways to free up as much RAM as possible. As a note, v4.0 takes about 8MB of RAM, so our development guys are working on it.

Page too large on good.com? Interesting as I haven't received that error, but will look into it. Thanks for the heads up. I am glad you enjoy GoodLink and find it helpful!
    Mr Good...

Can Goodlink run at the same time as a 'normal' email program? I would like to run Goodlink (for company email) and also run Chatter (imap client) for my home email.

Storm
  13.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by storm
    Mr Good...

Can Goodlink run at the same time as a 'normal' email program? I would like to run Goodlink (for company email) and also run Chatter (imap client) for my home email.

Storm
    Mr Good??

Yes, you can have other mail clients accessing other mail services with GoodLink.
    When will Good 4.0 be avalable for download?
  15.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy
    When will Good 4.0 be avalable for download?
    Skippy...

We have not been told of a formal, drop-dead date for release of 4.0, however, I am hearing we are shooting for end of this month, early March, but nothing has been etched in stone and the date has been moved before. As soon as it goes live, I will let folks know.
    Thanks for the info,

However, why can't a email client be created to mimic Outlook? Couldn't an attachment be mime or b64 encoded on the Palm to be sent to the Exchange server for the email's creation?

-Swingstylez

Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    Make sense?
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
    I just called my corp IT and they said 'You cant have it, they want $350+ per device, we only support Good on the BB which is $80 per device. Sorry!'

So now I have to use VersaMail with ActiveSync which is nowhere good enough.

So, why the huge price? If my IT dept is any example this pricing may give you trouble given the huge BB install base...

Any ideas? Is my IT dept smoking crack again?

Tx GoodGuy!
    John-
  18.    #19  
    Couple of things to ask:

-How much was the BES server?
    -How many BB users carry a cell phone as well as the BB because of the quality of the phone?
    -Ask them if they are going to upgrade to BES 4.0 because it is a major hassle and ALL the devices have to come in and be cradled for the upgrade.
    -Ask them how much time they take to install the BB desktop software on all the users desks. We have no desktop install.
    -Ask the BB users how nice it would be to NEVER, EVER have to cradle the device.
    -Ask your IT department how much time (which is money) would it save if they could provision the devices over-the-air and push 3rd party applications over-the-air?
    -Ask your IT department if they have ever had to call you carrier for support on devices they don't make and software they don't develop. All support is included with GL. All upgrades (major and minor) are included.
    -Ask any customer who switched from BB to Good about the installation, maintenance and management of Good and, without fail, they will say Good was simpler and faster. An example is that it takes a total of 20 minutes to have a Treo 650 up and running on Good. That is over-the-air with no cradle.

Our charges are $330 per year, with significant discount for two-year subscription. The GoodLink Server is free. The support is included. All upgrades are included. We will buyback Blackberries.

The Total Cost of Ownership of a GoodLink deployment is the same, if not less, than an equivilant BB deployment. They (IT dept) need to take us up on the 30 day free trial and compare. We never lose when they get it in their hands and compare it to BB.
    Quote Originally Posted by siberian
    I just called my corp IT and they said 'You cant have it, they want $350+ per device, we only support Good on the BB which is $80 per device. Sorry!'

So now I have to use VersaMail with ActiveSync which is nowhere good enough.

So, why the huge price? If my IT dept is any example this pricing may give you trouble given the huge BB install base...

Any ideas? Is my IT dept smoking crack again?

Tx GoodGuy!
    John-
    There smoking crack! From what i understand, the RIM based devices (RIM 950/957/G100) have a ~$30 monthly data service fee from Cingular (this may be billed through Good) and the licnese fee. When all said and done, the Treo license (2.5g) and the mobitex licnese come about to be about the same per YEAR. Good's product/service is great but the billing/licensing is the worst, there were the mis info is coming from. I have been fighting some billing problems since last summer and it's yet to be resolved.

Hope this helps...

Skippy (GL User...)
Page 1 of 62 1234561151 ... LastLast