Page 7 of 62 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757 ... LastLast
    I think this is a feature request for GoodGuy - if there is a way to do this I'm sure someone will tell me!

When I get a cancellation notice for a previously scheduled meeting, I can't find a way to easily delete the message from my calendar within the cancellation notice using GoodLink on my Treo 650. In Outlook, there is a button in the cancellation notice that says "remove from calendar." I would love to have the equivalent function in the Good software.

I also have a question about connectivity. I have the $24.99 unlimited Internet plan on Cingular, which doesn't give me any free text or multimedia messaging. I read somewhere that GoodLink and the Good server at Cingular use SMS messages to communicate with each other. If that is the case, are these messages going to show up on my bill at some point, or are they part of the unlimited Internet access. The Cingular folks I've talked to doesn't seem to have a good handle on the structure of their plans. Their default answer seems to be to sell you a bunch of stuff you don't need!

Thanks! This is a very informative thread.

Rod Mathews
    San Jose, CA
    So I upgraded to the 4.0 client yesterday and, poof, all of my Contacts disappeared except for a few with *(Number) phone numbers. It wasn't until I was in the car and needing to make a call that I noticed it, so I restored from my backup and all is good.

Is this supposed to happen? Will they repopulate after some period of time? Do I need to do a HotSync? Or wait for the server upgrade? Our servers are still on 3.x for a few weeks.
  3.    #123  
    rod..

Great idea and I will forward the info to our development guys.

Prior to version 4.0, we did use SMS to contact the phones, however, Good picked up the cost of the SMS pings. With version 4.0 (because of Global Connect), SMS is no longer used to ping the phone.
  4.    #124  
    Rich...

I am checking on this. Will get back to you.
    GoodGuy-

So, I volunteered to participate in my company's pilot program for GoodLink, but I'm a little concerned about doing so after reading this board. My biggest question concerns my contact db-- right now, I synch ACT! directly with my Treo Contact db-- will I lose this ability with GoodLink?
  6.    #126  
    My recommendation on that, MC, is to hotsync your contacts on your desktop, export them to your Outlook contacts then you won't lose them. Then, sync ACT! with Outlook contacts.
    Sorry GG don't want to step on any toes here.

Careful with this mc. I have seen issues in the past synchronizing Outlook with ACT! where your contact database is duplicated etc. I highly recommend creating a backup of your ACT! database before proceeding as GG recommends.
  8.    #128  
    Not stepping on toes at all. I know GoodLink...not ACT!
    Some of you Treo 650 owners using Goodlink may be having some of the same frustrations I am having with random resets. I think Versamail was causing resets, and so I disabled the auto-sync feature. But I still get occasional resets. The biggest problem with them is that Goodlink stops syncing e-mail. So I did two things that seem to be working: 1. I installed Treohelper. It makes sure that my phone gets turned back on after a reset. 2. I installed a free app called Auto-Exec, that I got on Palmgear. I have set Auto-Exec to automatically launch the Good E-mail app after every reset. So, even if the cause of the reset problem isn't solved, at least I won't miss e-mails.

thczv
    I've tried Synch-ing ACT with Outlook for other purposes. Turns my very detailed, extensive contact db into a simple phone book. When it actually synchs properly.

Sound to me that Goodlink is only a viable solution in very Outlook-oriented companies.
    good guy,

Thanks for taking the initiative here. I've been wondering / hoping for a user forum to discuss good / treo issues.

I've been a user for about 1.5 years now. The email functionality of Good is, well, very good. However, the calendar functionality, is, well, not good (and that's being polite).

-My biggest pet peeve is jumping to another date. While this was a two step proceedure on the t600 ("go to date" and then select the date) on Good you need to hit "menu", "j", select the date, and then after you've selected the date already, hit OK (WHY WHY WHY????).

-A good weekview is a must. The T600 had this in its calendar, and obviously datebookv5 has it, but the good implemementation is useless.

-The Good calendar rapidly becomes unreadable with overlapping appointments.

-Autoexpand: on the day view, many of my appointments are 1/2 hour, which don't show up on Good. Alternatively, if I select show 30 minute rows, I can only see my day in 30 minute increments.

You guys should take a lesson from the developer of datebookv5. That's a great calendar program, and switching to Good is really three steps backward -- not worth it for the over the air sync, except that Good takes up so much memory I can't afford to have both running.

And pet peeves with Good Contacts:
    -If I want to look up a new contact, I need to hit "done" then "clear". It's really not user friendly -- there should be a one keystroke way to do this.

-When I run contacts, it doesn't always default to the find box. So if I start typing a name it will execute a command (say if the name begins with D, it will delete a contact -- not a desireable outcome).

-First initial last name search. We need it.

A lot of good thought went into the email program. I wish the calendar and contacts were of the same high caliber.

Thanks
    BC
    Wow. Just tried goodlink for the first time and it's amazing!
    Just wondering - I only see the main goodlink .prc showing
    as 1.9mb, yet I've lost at least 10mb from the installation! (v4)
    - is that due to how the 650 handles the memory? or is there
    some hidden file/data taking up that space?
    (I only have about 60 contacts).

Is there any way to free up more space?
  13.    #133  
    mc...GoodLink was designed with MS Exchange in mind which, fortunately or unfortunately, has MS Outlook as the de facto standard for a client, so, yes, GoodLink was designed with Outlook oriented companies.
  14.    #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by sooks

-My biggest pet peeve is jumping to another date. While this was a two step proceedure on the t600 ("go to date" and then select the date) on Good you need to hit "menu", "j", select the date, and then after you've selected the date already, hit OK (WHY WHY WHY????).
    Actually, you do not have to hit "menu". You can just hit "j", then the date and ok. Not a two-step procedure. The confirmation feature, I think, is a good thing for those of us with FFS, fat-finger syndrome.
    -A good weekview is a must. The T600 had this in its calendar, and obviously datebookv5 has it, but the good implemementation is useless.
    I've never seen/used Datebook5, but from looking at the screen shots and information on the website, it is a very nice datebook application. GoodLink, however, is designed to integrate all 5 functions of Outlook. The biggest issue we hear is the fact that GoodLink requires a big chunk of memory. If we were to create the full functionality of something like datebookv5, you can be sure that the memory issue would be even bigger. The functionality is far from "useless" IMHO. Does datebookv5 syncronize wirelessly with Outlook/Exhcange? I am asking as I don't know. Nothing on the webpage says it does
    -The Good calendar rapidly becomes unreadable with overlapping appointments.
    Which view are you referring to? I am assuming the day and/or week view. This is true with Outlook and every other calendar program. As I like to say, there is only so much time in the day. From playing with my calenedar, I set up 4 events all starting at 2:00 and ending at 3:00 on the same day and another starting at 2:30 and ending at 3:00 and I can see all four events, separated on the daily view. On the weekly view, yest, they are a bit tight, but I can see I have scheduled 3 events at 2:00 and one at 2:30. Now, when I add another meeting at 1:00 that runs until 3:00 on top of the above 4, yes, it gets croweded, but if you look at the agenda view, there is an icon next to overlapping meeting. Can you give me an example of where you are going to have more than 4 appointments overlapping?
    -Autoexpand: on the day view, many of my appointments are 1/2 hour, which don't show up on Good. Alternatively, if I select show 30 minute rows, I can only see my day in 30 minute increments.
    I dont't understand. You choose to show 30 minute rows and it shows in 30 minute increments? Isn't that what it is supposed to do? It shows 30 minute meetings. And what do you mean 30 minute meetings don't show up on GoodLink? Mine do.
    You guys should take a lesson from the developer of datebookv5. That's a great calendar program, and switching to Good is really three steps backward -- not worth it for the over the air sync, except that Good takes up so much memory I can't afford to have both running.
    "Not worth it ifor the over the air sync"? Wow..I thought that was what made GoodLink "worth it". If your assistant schedules a meeting, changes a meeting, needs to email you notes about a meeting and you aren't in the office, I would think that the fact that you can't schedule 4 appointments at the same time, would be a minor issue. datebookv5 is a nice calendar app. If all you need is the functionality of a calendar with no real-time synchronization and nothing else as it relates to Exchange/Outlook, I would recommend the application highly just on the feedback I have seen here and from reviewing their page. However, GoodLink is completely integrated solution for real-time acess to your entire Exchange function set, not just calendaring. I am very proud of our calendar functionality. Show me another product in the Exchange integration space (ie, Blackberry, Seven, etc) that handles calendaring as efficiently and as cleanly from and interface standpoint as we do. Not getting defensive, and while I am sure these are valid points for your usage of the product, I think that the overall interface of the Good Calendar is having people want more because they think, "Hell, they went this far, what about this and this and this". Believe me, once the hardware catches up with what we can do with the software, you will see more and more functionality.

-If I want to look up a new contact, I need to hit "done" then "clear". It's really not user friendly -- there should be a one keystroke way to do this.
    Actually, no you don't. If you look up a contact, find that contact and hit done, when you go back to the search window, all the text is highlighted automatically, so you can either begin typing again and it will clear out all the text or you can hit back space, or you can hit "clear".
    -When I run contacts, it doesn't always default to the find box. So if I start typing a name it will execute a command (say if the name begins with D, it will delete a contact -- not a desireable outcome).
    Contacts defaults back to the exact spot your were the last time you checked contacts. So if you had a name highlighted, that is where it will be. I agree that this can be a bit cumbersome. I will forward the feature request to our development folks. Just hitting D will not delete a contact if you have delete confirm selected in the contact options.

-First initial last name search. We need it.
    What version are you running? If I am looking for "John Smith" and type "J S", it brings up a list of anyone with with the first name beginning with J and last name beginning with S
    A lot of good thought went into the email program. I wish the calendar and contacts were of the same high caliber.
    Again, I have to state that I am of the opinion of the options out there for full integrated, synchronized Exchange/Outlook applications, we handle all 5 Outlook functions better from a functionality standpoint and interface standpoint, than anyone else. Is there room for improvement? Absolutely. If not, we would be "Perfect Technology" instead of Good Technology. We are continually developing the product, adding additional functionality and features. I wish we could be the be all, end all for everyone, but we can't. What I do think is we have damn good product that meets 95% of the needed functionality and features that people want and we are working on the other 5% everyday.

Thanks for your feedback and I hope I was able to help with some of your concerns.
  15.    #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by lemongrass
    Wow. Just tried goodlink for the first time and it's amazing!
    Just wondering - I only see the main goodlink .prc showing
    as 1.9mb, yet I've lost at least 10mb from the installation! (v4)
    - is that due to how the 650 handles the memory? or is there
    some hidden file/data taking up that space?
    (I only have about 60 contacts).

Is there any way to free up more space?
    V4 takes a little over 8MB of space. I know that is big chunk of the 23 or so MB available and that issue is brought up constantly. I wish I had a magic wand and could go back to the Palm1 folks and hit them over the head with it when they thought 32MB was enough for the 650, but unfortunately, I can't. The only thing I can recommend is moving some apps (ie Docs2Go) to the SD card. And, no, GoodLink won't run from the SD card.
    What about the FormsApp and AccessApp files? are those still needed if
    we're just using Email?
    Can the GDInstall file be moved to the memory card after installation?
    thanks.
    GoodGuy: a few weeks ago I posted to you re a problem I was having with the camera disabling Good vibrate alerts. you were unable to replicate it, but it is definitely a problem with others, not just me. I figured out that if you receive a vibrate through the phone or otherwise, the Good vibrate begins working again. Otherwise it will not work when you receive an email. I appologize for bothering you with this again, but if you could look into it I would really appreciate it.
  18.    #138  
    lemon...let me verify on if anything from the GL install can be moved.

luci..

I will check with our tech folks to see if they are hearing anything like this from others regarding the vibrate. As soon as I hear something, will let you know.
    GoodGuy,

A couple questions:

Is there a way to turn off a Calendar reminder for a specfic appt occurence in the Goodlink Calendar app? I can seem to find a way to do it.

In the email app, I don't like to keep vibrate or sounds on for incoming email since it would be going off too frequently. I use the alert dialog instead so that when I glance at the Treo I know if I have new mail or not. The only draw back with doing this is that the alert dialog pretty much hijacks the Treo until it is cleared. Can an option be added to use the subtle alert that just puts an asterisk in the upper left hand corner rather than the large pop-up alert?

Thanks.

Jeff
  20.    #140  
    Beavis..

Go into the GoodLink Preferences and choose notifications. There you will have options for mail and reminders. Unfortuntately, the only on-screen alert is the one that takes up the full screen. However, on the GoodLink Home page, there is an icon that shows the number of new emails received.
Page 7 of 62 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757 ... LastLast