Page 60 of 62 FirstFirst ... 10505556575859606162 LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1232
    Thanks for the update! The fact you can use GL, TT, and Real together is a real sign of improvement. Please let us know how it goes over the next few days as that'll be the real test.

Things are looking up
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    We include the read only version of Docs2Go with the GoodLink server download. Same version you can download and the same version that comes on the CD with the 650.
    sorry to be so late to the party... wanted to provide a correction...

Treo 650 CD includes the DTG 7 Professional that provides create, edit and view word, excel and powerpoint. This is not read only version.
    Palm Pre and a nice collection of Treos: 755p, 700, 650, 600, 300 and Palm Pilots, Visors, and Sony Clie
    According to an article in the Palm Support Knowledge Library:

link

the first step in installing the Cingular 1.17 update for folks who use GoodLink is to backup the GoodLink software on a blank SD/MMC card. I hate to have to go out and buy a blank card just so I can install this software. I see you can get 64K SD cards for under $20, but even so, seems like a waste of money to me for something I'll only use for a few minutes.

Is there a good (excuse the pun) reason for this requirement, or can I just back up my GoodLink software to my normal 256K SD card that I use every day? I don't know if Good is just covering itself by saying use a blank card, or if there is actually some technical reason that this process won't work unless you have a blank SD card.

-Jeff
    I think it's just so that there is a separate copy of the GL backup since GL itself puts a backup copy on the SD. I happen to have an extra SD card laying around, so I use it instead when doing a fw update.

Might be a good excuse to buy a 1G/2G SD card so you can have more MP3s or movies with you?
    I dont think there is any reason you cannot use your existing SD Card for the backup...I've used it all the time for G/L backups on my treos I support (including for updating mine to 1.17 the other day..worked fine)

by the way, the instructions you linked to are NOT necessary for the 1.17 update...

Just backup goodlink to your SD Card and run the updater...It will hotsync and then do the update as part of the install process (and it will make you remove your SD card before you can start). There is no need for the hard reset nor syncing to a bogus user.

At the end, hotsync to restore your backup and then install your SD card (and that will kick off the restore of G/L)
    Why would I need to backup GL, as opposed to just re-installing via OTA setup and pin that my IT guy sent me? Since everything is wireless synced, don't understand the need for local backup? Thanks
    it's quicker than doing it OTA and saves the IT guy from having to give you the pin
    So after installing the upgrade, I can say for certain that 1.17 *does not* address the Treo 650 GSM "unable to encode @ 352x288" problem. Again, this works just fine as long as GL has not started (i.e. after a reset).

GoodGuy, can you verify that this is on Good's (or Palm's) to-do fix list?
    Why are my tasks, when sorted by priority, showing Medium at the top, then High, then low?? Is it just me?
  10.    #1190  
    Quote Originally Posted by bullydaddy
    So after installing the upgrade, I can say for certain that 1.17 *does not* address the Treo 650 GSM "unable to encode @ 352x288" problem. Again, this works just fine as long as GL has not started (i.e. after a reset).

GoodGuy, can you verify that this is on Good's (or Palm's) to-do fix list?
    Checking with the Cingular guys.
  11.    #1191  
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurora
    Why are my tasks, when sorted by priority, showing Medium at the top, then High, then low?? Is it just me?
    I don't use tasks. Can anyone else verify this?
    I normally sort them by Due Date but just ran a test. For me (Sprint/cdma 650 GL 4.0.0.59) I don't see a problem. They came out sorted High, Medium, Low as you'd expect.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Checking with the Cingular guys.
    Thanks GoodGuy...I'll check with both Cingular and Palm (...I believe it to be a Palm issue anyway).

One more, unrelated question for you:

For the past few days, I have not been able to see my corporate address list. To add the list, you go into GoodLink Preferences -> Public Folders-Contacts. Until last week, doing this would show you a list of my corporate public exchange folders...and all I had to do was select the corporate address list. Once you do this, you shouldn't need to do it again unless you need to add/change the folder. I noticed my contacts missing a few days ago and tried to repeat the process...but when I navigate to that location in Preferences, all that is displayed is this message:

Waiting for the list of folders

I asked our help desk about this, and they said that several of our users were having the same problem. In your opinion, is this a GoodLink client issue, a Cingular network issue, or a GoodLink server issue? Have you (or anyone else inside Good) ever seen this before? If so, do you know what causes it and how to correct it?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    Thanks for the update! The fact you can use GL, TT, and Real together is a real sign of improvement. Please let us know how it goes over the next few days as that'll be the real test.

Things are looking up
    So far so good with GL (4.0.3.6), TT (5.12) and Realplayer/PocketTunes all running at the same time with the new Treo GSM 1.17 update.

This update definitely handles the NVFS Cache better (and helps to overcome the drawback of Goodlink eating up so much).

Hopefully things dont get any worse when I upgrade to Good v4.7 (we just got it)
    That's great - thanks for the followup.

Now if only PalmOne/Sprint would send their fw update...
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    That's great - thanks for the followup.
    Well now I have some not so great news on the subject

I just did the upgrade to Good 4.7 (4.7.0.25) and the process was quick and painless...

..but now I've got an NVFS Cache shortage again.

4.7 appears to take up considerably more cache then v4.0 did. All the cache I gained back in the efficiency built into the new Palm Firmware (1.17) is being eaten by good and if I have P-Tunes and Good 4.7 running I dont have enough space left to run TomTom

The problem is TT needs ~2Mb of contingous cache to launch (called Max Allocation in DbCache) and with the new version of Good + P-Tunes the most I can get is 1.86Mb Max/4.7Mb Free (after a soft reset and including an attempt by DBcache to clear up more). Before I upgraded I was running G/L 4.0 and P-Tunes with 3.4/5.5Mb of Cache

arrghhh...I was hoping G/L would do better, not worse....

Anybody else upgraded and can report the differences they see in Cache Usage?
    Disappointing. Can you roll back GL versions?

I guess I'll be staying with 4.0.0.59 for as long as I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffRichardson
    Can I just back up my GoodLink software to my normal 256K SD card that I use every day?
    To answer my own question, it appears that there is no need to use a blank SD card. I ended up obtaining one and then I backed up my GoodLink software to both my normal SD card and the blank card. But then when I went to restore, I only restored from my normal SD card and all was fine. Perhaps the reason that Good made the suggestion to use a blank card was just to ensure that there is enough blank space on the SD card to fully backup your software, prefs, etc.

Also, I did follow the full instructions recommended by Good, including hard resetting the device and installing the Cingular update with a temp user selected, and then going back to my normal user ID when all was done. Maybe it was unnecessary as davisdog suggests, but it certainly worked fine to do it that way and I felt safer following the instructions.

-Jeff
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davisdog
    Well now I have some not so great news on the subject

I just did the upgrade to Good 4.7 (4.7.0.25) and the process was quick and painless...

..but now I've got an NVFS Cache shortage again.

4.7 appears to take up considerably more cache then v4.0 did. All the cache I gained back in the efficiency built into the new Palm Firmware (1.17) is being eaten by good and if I have P-Tunes and Good 4.7 running I dont have enough space left to run TomTom

The problem is TT needs ~2Mb of contingous cache to launch (called Max Allocation in DbCache) and with the new version of Good + P-Tunes the most I can get is 1.86Mb Max/4.7Mb Free (after a soft reset and including an attempt by DBcache to clear up more). Before I upgraded I was running G/L 4.0 and P-Tunes with 3.4/5.5Mb of Cache

arrghhh...I was hoping G/L would do better, not worse....

Anybody else upgraded and can report the differences they see in Cache Usage?
    This is unacceptable. This is the biggest problem Treo users have reported, and in two releases, the problem has gotten worse, not better?

If this turns out to be true, I'll work with our IT department to look for alternatives.

This is so frustrating because I love the product, but I can't continue to live with having to reset the Treo just to run other apps.

Goodguy - Is there an email address for your CEO? I know you've done all you can for us. We need to get this escalated now!
    Last edited by santa; 11/30/2005 at 12:10 PM.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    A little more data for others to compare....

When I do a soft reset I end up with ~10.5/10.5MB of Cache to start with. Firing up Goodlink First I drop down to ~3.5Mb available....Adding Pocket Tunes and starting a song I end up with dbcache kicking in as I exit ptunes (its set for clearing at <1/3Mb) and I end up with 1.9/4.7Mb and difficulty with starting TomTom.

But, I just found if I do an extra step I'm in a little better shape
    1) Reset
    2) Start G/L
    3) Start PTunes (but do not load a playlist)
    4) Go back to the launcher (I use the Palm default since having Zlauncher would eat up more cache
    5) Dbcache Autoclears...but in this scenario DBcache can clear up more contiguous cache (Max = 3.6Mb now)
    6) Go Back to Ptunes start music (and it's able to use free space and leave the max space in relatively good shape to run other apps)
    7) TT is ok.

So...to clarify, I dont think anybody should hold their breath for any cache (or cache management) improvements in the latest version of G/L, which is a bummer...I'll reserve judgement on whether (or if) its worse.