Page 53 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3434849505152535455565758 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1232
  1.    #1041  
    latest version is 4.5 and you should be fine
    Quote Originally Posted by bullydaddy
    Hi tomvb2000,

Nope...I haven't tested the theory, but I know the video recorder works great after a reset and BEFORE GL loads. I haven't tried the dbCacheTool yet...and to be honest, I'm a little nervous about what it does...or could do to my Treo. I can't afford for something to take the Treo out of service for even a hour or two. Therefore, I'm extremely conservative with what I load.

As for the issue not being seen on the CDMA models...I've heard that the camera resolution is slightly higher on the GSM models...which will result in greater memory requirements for the GSM version while recording in the high-res mode. Can you, a CDMA user, confirm your max video recording resolution? The GSM versions max at 352x288. I "thought" the CDMA version maxed at 320x240. Why Palm would use a different camera on the two models is beyond me...the camera is on the base board, not the wireless module (...viewed the FCC pics)...so it should be the same. Perhaps it *is* the same h/w, but the application itself is different between the CDMA model and the GSM model. My camera version is:

Camera v.2.0.0.36
    Camera v.1.0.0.0 (not sure why there are two...one may be the overlay)
    cameraLib-camL v.3.0
    ...or perhaps its the encoder library that's different.

I'm not sure...but the "not knowing" is killing me. The engineer in me simply wants to know the details!

Thanks.
    Borrowed a buddy's Cingular 650 (with stock rom) for testing today, but unfortunately the tests were inconclusive.

Unlike my Sprint/cdma 650, dbCacheTool didn't make much more cache memory available than what it started with. On my cdma 650, I routinely get 3-4MB more free cache after a dbCacheTool cache clear but on this GSM Treo, it only made ~300K more cache free. So, still not sure the hi-res encoding can be made to work after GL init.

Details:
    After soft reset but before GL init:
    - dbCacheTool reported Free: 9579776, Max alloc: 9568000
    - Camcorder encoding at 352x288 worked fine
    After soft reset and GL init:
    - dbCacheTool reported Free: 2901584, Max alloc: 2887648
    - Camcorder encoding at 352x288 did not work
    After soft reset, GL init, and a dbCacheTool cache clear:
    - dbCacheTool reported Free: 2605608, Max alloc: 2555904

If I find someone else with another GSM Treo, I'll try it with theirs since the apps you have installed may make a difference on the way the cache memory is used.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    Borrowed a buddy's Cingular 650 (with stock rom) for testing today, but unfortunately the tests were inconclusive.

Unlike my Sprint/cdma 650, dbCacheTool didn't make much more cache memory available than what it started with. On my cdma 650, I routinely get 3-4MB more free cache after a dbCacheTool cache clear but on this GSM Treo, it only made ~300K more cache free. So, still not sure the hi-res encoding can be made to work after GL init.

Details:
    After soft reset but before GL init:
    - dbCacheTool reported Free: 9579776, Max alloc: 9568000
    - Camcorder encoding at 352x288 worked fine
    After soft reset and GL init:
    - dbCacheTool reported Free: 2901584, Max alloc: 2887648
    After soft reset, GL init, and a dbCacheTool cache clear:
    - dbCacheTool reported Free: 2605608, Max alloc: 2555904

If I find someone else with another GSM Treo, I'll try it with theirs since the apps you have installed may make a difference on the way the cache memory is used.
    I tried this on my GSM. with a clean boot, and then after launching GL, I have 2.3M cache left. If I try the camera after that, not only does it not work, I get a soft reset!

The camera works fine if I run it before launching GL.

I'll say it again:

If GL can't reduce their footprint, they at least need to give us the capability to remove GL from memory w/o a soft reset!

So to use the camera I have to reset. That's pretty quick, but a full reboot of my treo including starting GL again now takes longer than booting my windows PC. (because of all the GL "checking messages" time). We need to be able to remove GL from memory, and restart it w/o the "checking messages"!
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    So, Santa, a lump of coal for Good this year?
    Seriously though, do you have any other background apps that you can temporarily disable before running dbCacheTool? It just seems odd that on mine, DBCT definitely makes a diff in making more cache free but on 2 GSMs now it doesn't. I'd be very surprised if, other than the radio hardware/firmware and apps, there is any other difference in how PalmOS manages app memory.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    So, Santa, a lump of coal for Good this year?
    No. Not a lump of coal. It's a great app, and now that I have it, I rely upon it and can't imagine doing without.

With DBCache and RLocker, I've been able to get the Treo pretty stable. I can run most of my apps w/o a reset.

My biggest issue, is that I can't listen to music (aeroplayer), and work on my mail. Well, that's not true, I can, but I can't call up docs to go. That causes a reset.

Now that's not a big deal. If I could swap apps. I'd be happy to save the word doc, exit GL, and call up the word doc for viewing. When I was done, I could startup GL again.

But I can't. I'm listening to music... run across a doc I'd like to view, and I need to:

1) Save the doc.
    2) Reset the treo.
    3) View the doc.
    4) Reset the treo again.
    5) Then I can start up GL and aeroplayer again.

And of course it takes GL a zillion minutes to start back up.

I'm not sure I understand why the GL footprint needs to be so big. But I'm guessing based on all I've read here that it's a big issue to fix. I'll buy that. What I don't understand is why they can't give us a couple of tools to cope. All I'm asking for is a simple "exit" command that would close the files gracefully and remove the app from memory (or allow DBCache to do it).

I don't know about anyone else, but there's nothing worse than the feeling I get when I've rebooted so I can run some non GL stuff, and then accidently hit the mail button. First I need to wait the zillion minutes for it to start back up. Then I need to reset again to free up the memory.

Please, Please, Pretty Please:

I love your app! Just give me an "exit" command and I'll be happy!

(well at least for a couple of days)
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Seriously though, do you have any other background apps that you can temporarily disable before running dbCacheTool? It just seems odd that on mine, DBCT definitely makes a diff in making more cache free but on 2 GSMs now it doesn't. I'd be very surprised if, other than the radio hardware/firmware and apps, there is any other difference in how PalmOS manages app memory.
    It has made a big difference on mine too, but I don't get as much free as you do. I don't have many background apps running, so I don't think that's it. I have to set cache auto clear to <2M, and it gets there pretty quickly. So I get a clear cache just about always when I switch apps. But I can switch apps, and I don't get resets, and that's much better than what I had before I started using it!
  8.    #1048  
    Very good suggestion, Santa. Forwarding it on and thanks for your support and patience.
    Quote Originally Posted by santa
    No. Not a lump of coal. It's a great app, and now that I have it, I rely upon it and can't imagine doing without.

With DBCache and RLocker, I've been able to get the Treo pretty stable. I can run most of my apps w/o a reset.

My biggest issue, is that I can't listen to music (aeroplayer), and work on my mail. Well, that's not true, I can, but I can't call up docs to go. That causes a reset.

Now that's not a big deal. If I could swap apps. I'd be happy to save the word doc, exit GL, and call up the word doc for viewing. When I was done, I could startup GL again.

But I can't. I'm listening to music... run across a doc I'd like to view, and I need to:

1) Save the doc.
    2) Reset the treo.
    3) View the doc.
    4) Reset the treo again.
    5) Then I can start up GL and aeroplayer again.

And of course it takes GL a zillion minutes to start back up.

I'm not sure I understand why the GL footprint needs to be so big. But I'm guessing based on all I've read here that it's a big issue to fix. I'll buy that. What I don't understand is why they can't give us a couple of tools to cope. All I'm asking for is a simple "exit" command that would close the files gracefully and remove the app from memory (or allow DBCache to do it).

I don't know about anyone else, but there's nothing worse than the feeling I get when I've rebooted so I can run some non GL stuff, and then accidently hit the mail button. First I need to wait the zillion minutes for it to start back up. Then I need to reset again to free up the memory.

Please, Please, Pretty Please:

I love your app! Just give me an "exit" command and I'll be happy!

(well at least for a couple of days)
    Santa - I'm with you 100%. I love the app but definitely wish Good would give us more flexibility in dealing with the limitations Palm stuck us with. I've stopped recommending people by the Treo exactly because of the issues you mentioned. It shouldn't take dbCacheTool and Resco Locker just to make it usable. I'm sorry dbCacheTool doesn't help you/gsm Treos more - can't imagine why it would be much different than on cdma Treos.

<soap box>
    Despite upgrading every year for the last 4, I am definitely not moving to the Treo700w/p unless I absolutely know it's better in every way. 64MB/WM5.0 is not going to be any better than 32MB/PalmOS given WM5.0 is going to take at least 32MB of memory.

In fact, the Treo650 may be the 6th and last Palm I ever own. If the Q or ppc6700 are more stable/have more memory, that's where I'll go next. I'll stay with Good, but definitely change the hardware.
    </soap box>
    To go along with the last two posts...I love goodlink and cant live without it...but to help play well with other programs they need to add

1) Ability to Shutdown/Exit the app so it gives up its 8Mb of Cache (So I dont have to soft reset the whole device so I can run realplayer and tomtom in my car)

2) Ability to limit the amount of cache it uses (It stores a ton of email on the device which is great, but I'd be more than happy to give up a little of that (FIFO) if it used less cache..If I could adjust it to just cache 6Mb I wouldnt be having the issues)
    I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere in this thread. I searched but I couldn't find any actual answer, just a reference to a workaround that won't work for me.

We just installed GL today (latest 4.5 version). I really do like it and think it's a major improvement over Sprint's BCEE service. However I don't like the way the contacts work, especially with the phone app.

I have numerous contact entries in my phone that I do not want in my Outlook contacts. I'm just very particular about separating work and personal info. When I try to dial a personal contact from the phone app it takes me directly to the GL contacts program (which I somewhat expected). I can find no way to actually have the phone or GL use the contacts list in the phone.

I can open up the contacts program first and type a name in that way but the loss of convenience from just typing in the name at the phone as opposed to opening up a new program (using multiple buttons depending on what app I'm in since GL takes over the App button as well) is very disconcerting.

I've read the workaround for deleting the GL Contacts app and syncing the phone contacts with Outlook but as mentioned earlier, I don't want to mix personal and business contacts.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks.
  12.    #1052  
    Put your personal contacts in the Palm desktop and then delete the 'Contacts' per the fix you found. Then sync the Palm desktop with the Treo and the contacts in the palm desktop will sync with the palm contacts on the device. Make sure you don;t have outlook as the default.
    I give up.

Sprint, Treo 650
    FW 1.12
    DocToGo

GL 4.5 either resets the phone or spits out a "Fatal Error" after running 10-15 minutes, EVERY time I start it. It seemed to run better before the Sprint FW update, but I cannot find 1.08 anywhere. My wife's Treo experiences the exact same condition.

A stable running GL would sure be nice, given that is the reason I even purchased a Treo.
  14.    #1054  
    What else are you running? I am running the exacy same thing as you (Sprint 650, FW 1.12. and D2G) and have never experienced a reset or fatal error.
    Quote Originally Posted by TaSM1
    A stable running GL would sure be nice, given that is the reason I even purchased a Treo.
    Granted I've only been running GL for a day but it's been very stable for me so far. About the only additional thing I've done is to install DBCACHE TOOL to manage the cache. I believe my hardware specs match yours,

Sprint 1.12-SPCS
    Hardware Rev B
    GL 4.5.0.65 (at least I think that's the version, the latest one whatever it is)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Put your personal contacts in the Palm desktop and then delete the 'Contacts' per the fix you found.
    I haven't had a chance to resync with the desktop (all the contacts are there) but I have deleted the GL Contacts and it seems to be OK. The biggest drawback that I can see is that it's a bit more difficult to send an e-mail using GL. I have to select "Lookup" and wait for it to come back but that's an acceptable (for me) solution for right now. There are others in my company that I fear won't be as flexible.

Thanks for the info.
  17.    #1057  
    When you hit look-up, it is is hitting your Global Address List on Exchange. If you go to the contacts in GoodLink, they are the same ones that are in Outlook. That change (deleting contacts) should have no effect on the performance of GL.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    That change (deleting contacts) should have no effect on the performance of GL.
    The overall performance no but there is another step to take if you're sending an e-mail to someone on the GAL that you've not sent to before. It's very much like Outlook 2003. If you've sent a person an e-mail before their name shows up on the "picklist" when you first start to type names. If not then your Outlook searches the GAL for matching names. With GL Contacts deleted you see a prompt to "lookup" and you must select that prompt then select the name from the list, even if there's only one name, before you can send the e-mail.

Again for me, since I understand the complexity of making things work, it's an acceptable workaround. Unfortunately I have some users who more than likely won't want to take those two extra steps in order to have their personal contacts available from their phone app.

A nice added feature would be to have GL Contacts not take over for embedded contacts but rather to have it work with it from certain apps. Perhaps even giving the user a choice to have the phone app (for example) work with GL Contacts, embedded contacts, or both. Shouldn't be too difficult to do that.

Thanks for your help in this. It's much appreciated.
    The only non-Palm standard software I have is:

DocsToGo
    Acrobat

My wife's phone has no software besides the Palm OS applications and the newest ver of GL 4.5. Both our phones were very early Sprint 650 models and are hw rev A, but I'm not certain is that has anything to do with it.

GoodGuy - are you saying with the exact specs as my Sprint Treo 650, your GL runs constantly (as in connected to sprint data net as well)?

Thanks all.
  20.    #1060  
    Quote Originally Posted by TaSM1
    The only non-Palm standard software I have is:

DocsToGo
    Acrobat

My wife's phone has no software besides the Palm OS applications and the newest ver of GL 4.5. Both our phones were very early Sprint 650 models and are hw rev A, but I'm not certain is that has anything to do with it.

GoodGuy - are you saying with the exact specs as my Sprint Treo 650, your GL runs constantly (as in connected to sprint data net as well)?

Thanks all.
    Yup. I have a couple small apps on my 650, but nothing major and it is very stable