Page 5 of 62 FirstFirst 123456789101555 ... LastLast
    GoodGuy: What is the unsupported work around that will let me have my Palm Contacts back? I just got Goodlink on my Treo 650 yesterday. I am still frustrated at how difficult it is for me to look up a phone number that is only in my Palm Contacts. I also don't like how I can no longer dial the phone from my Palm Contacts.

An unrelated question: Is there a way to use a higher resolution font in the e-mail application? With the high resolution of the Treo 650, I think a lot more info could be fit on the screen. Then again, maybe it is available, and I just don't know how to do it. :-)

thczv
  2.    #82  
    thczv...

I would recommend exporting your Palm contacts then importing them into Outlook to get them into your GL contacts. Bear in mind, this fix is not supported by GoodLink in anyway and I have no way of verifying if it will work or any side effects. In other words, please don't come back and yell at me if you have to reprovision. Remember, Palm contacts are not integrated with GoodLink (or Outlook) and GoodLink Technical Support does not support this option.

Go to the Palm Home Screen and choose Menu-Delete

Delete the reference to GoodLink contacts (should be called just "Contacts" in version 3.7/3.8)

Do a soft reset (pin-reset)

You should now have both sets of contacts. You can access GoodLink contacts from the Good Home, and Palm Contacts through a mapped key.

Regarding the resolution issue, I will forward that on to our Development group.

Hope this improves your satisfaction with GoodLink
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Go to the Palm Home Screen and choose Menu-Delete

Delete the reference to GoodLink contacts (should be called just "Contacts" in version 3.7/3.8)

Do a soft reset (pin-reset)

You should now have both sets of contacts. You can access GoodLink contacts from the Good Home, and Palm Contacts through a mapped key.
    GG- thanks for the tip. My personal contacts are my own and dont want them sync'd to my corp server and thus the need for two Contacts.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhanson
    Based on the excitement here, we initiated a trial of Goodlink. I am on Day 3. we are running 3.8 on 650s (GSM). We notice that while the 650 is stable as shipped from Palm, Good causes several crashes.

It resets throughout the day, lasting at most about 4 hours. Even worse, when it restarts, the Good software doesn't always initialize, so the email stops flowing, without warning. Not looking for support, but have you heard of reliability issues with 3.8? The Treos are running no other software, just Good plus the stuff in ROM. (Versamail & Blazer aren't being used).
    The product has lots of promise, but I can't recommend it to execs until we cure the stability issues.
    GoodGuy - I'm having the exact same issues on my unlocked GSM (Cingular) 650, and my wife's. We both have 3.8 and both have stability issues..... It resets itself every few hours (sometimes doesn't turn the phone part back on). Also, sometimes the e-mail simply stops flowing even though DATA still shows as a link and if you use the browser the GPRS/EDGE is working fine. For example, I haven't received any e-mail according to my 650 in the last 6 hours. However, if I go online (web access to Outlook) I've received 20 e-mails. I've soft-reset and system-reset and I still don't have any e-mails coming in. Usually this clears up over a few hour period.

Two issues with this:

1. Stability issues are unacceptable and frustrating

2. E-mail stopping without notice/warning any way to tell is incredibly dangerous. I rely upon my e-mail 24x7--without even knowing it I am missing tons of e-mail.

Any word on what the problem might be?

Thank you.
  5.    #85  
    Couple of things. The stability of the 650 is, at best, questionable. Check the threads here of 650's resetting on their own regardless of the software installed. We have been shipping GoodLink since the release date of the 650 and I have not seen nor heard of GoodLink being the cause of crashes or lock ups. Now, with all of that being said, since the unlocked GSM 650's are so new, there may very will be some issues that are popping up on those devices with GoodLink that I haven't heard about. Being that we now have two (three with your wife) showing the same thing, I can't point to an isolated incident and say it isn't GoodLink. I also can't say with certainty, based on Palm's eagerness to deliver allowing for some, shall we say, issues with reliability. I can say that I will forward on this issue to our Support and Development folks and see if they are hearing of this going on within the GSM 650's. Sorry I can't give you any more feedback or assistance outside of that. I will look into it on Monday, though, and see what I can find out. Aside from that, I would recommend you have your IT (or whomever the contact handling GoodLink is) get ahold of Tech Support and let them know that you are having these issues.
    Goodguy.. I applaud your efforts in monitoring these boards and posting great answers to peoples questions, very nice work!

I bought a GSM Treo 650 from Cingular a week ago and am loving it, replaced the 600 I have had for the last year. I too though am having email connection issues with Goodlink 3.8 on the 650 that are very frustrating.. if quite often will not sync email even when the data signal is strong, GPRS/EDGE is active, and the web access is fine. One of our IT guys gave me a site to hit to test IP connectivity to Good from my 650 with this link: https://xml02.good.com.. hard to say but sometimes when I can load that page fine it seems to kick GL back into syncing email.. ultimately though I think that it's more happenstance than anything. Usually even after sitting through a soft reset and GL reinitializing.. it still will not sync email for a few hours.

Would love to hear there is some remedy for this or least that 4.0 will be fixing the sync and stablity issues..

Also, any known issues between having both Avantgo and GL on the 650? thought that might have been part of the problem.. but I think it's probably a red herring, any thoughts on that?

Keep up the great work.. good stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by 650newb
    I have similar reset issues after loading GL. T650/UnlockedGSM/TMobile/GLv3.8.0.18/only ROM apps loaded.

I seem to get either the soft resets about once a day or GL needing to re-init a few times a day.
    I have exactly the same config, except the latest version of Good - 650, ulocked GSM, using T-Mobile, "stock" config with Good version 3.8.1.4.

Exact same issues... hmm.
    Oh I just did the "# * 3 7 7 " sequence to see what was crashing and:
    --------------
    A crash occured on
    2/19/05 at 5:37pm
    while running "
    Goodlink":

Fatal Exception
    -------------
  9.    #89  
    In looking through my emails, I remembered seeing something about Cingular network having some issues the last couple of days with GoodLink. Here is an email that went out to Cingular GPRS issue:

"We've received some reports from GoodLink/Cingular GPRS users of degraded message flow and provisioning service. We are working with Cingular to determine the extent and cause of the issue"

Then another email came out:

"We continue to work with Cingular on a resolutionto the issue which is isolated to the Southeast Region of the US. In the meantime, some GoodLink/Cingular GPRS users my experience degraded message flow or provisioning service. No ETR at the current time."

Let me see if I can get an update, though not very likely today. As for the T-Mobile issue, I will also see what I can find out.

You can get on a mailing list of notifications at http://www.good.com/notifications
    Thanks GG,

Odd that they seem to think it's isolated to the South East US, I am in the North West (Portland, OR).. can't get much further away and still be in the US (well.. except Alaska and Hawaii ) I'll be in Minneapolis for a few days this next week, be interesting to see what results I have there..

Cheers,
    In looking through my emails, I remembered seeing something about Cingular network having some issues the last couple of days with GoodLink. Here is an email that went out to Cingular GPRS issue:

"We've received some reports from GoodLink/Cingular GPRS users of degraded message flow and provisioning service. We are working with Cingular to determine the extent and cause of the issue"

Then another email came out:

"We continue to work with Cingular on a resolutionto the issue which is isolated to the Southeast Region of the US. In the meantime, some GoodLink/Cingular GPRS users my experience degraded message flow or provisioning service. No ETR at the current time."
    Thank you. That sounds exactly like the problem me and my wife are experiencing. (Plus the instability/resets, but I'm starting to think that's P1's issue.) (We're using Cingular in the SF Bay Area, with the new 64k SIM. So I'm not sure how the SE Region impacts this...)

Please keep us informed and thanks for the helpful responses. Makes me less frustrated to know someone's paying attn.
  12.    #92  
    Thanks for the feedback, folks. I have forwarded this on to our tech support group to let them know it doesn't seem isolated to the Southeast.
    Just reading these Good threads and thought I would throw in my two cents on anyone thinking of implementing GL. I work as an IT administrator for a company who tested both BES and GL. When installing GoodLink it was simple and straight forward, in fact I had it up and running in a matter of minutes with the first device configured. When setting up BES although not exactly difficult it was very cumbersome, and when trying to configure the new device I found it extremley tedious from an administrative stand point.

Support with BES was a huge ordeal because they wanted a service agreement which we didn't purchase, whereas anytime I call in at Good they have always helped with any problems I was having.

From the end user stand point we had some users where we gave them both a Treo 600 (650 wasn't out) and the BB 1700, all said they liked the Treo much better. Mostly because of the way GL has the same 'feel' of Outlook so the learning curve was minimal. Using the email client on the BB device was a much bigger challenge for non-technical users.

Well that is my two cents........
  14.    #94  
    ehammet..thanks for the feedback. It always good to hear from customers who have looked at GL and other alternatives. Glad to hear your are happy with GoodLink. If there is anything I can help with, let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by ehammett
    From the end user stand point we had some users where we gave them both a Treo 600 (650 wasn't out) and the BB 1700, all said they liked the Treo much better. Mostly because of the way GL has the same 'feel' of Outlook so the learning curve was minimal. Using the email client on the BB device was a much bigger challenge for non-technical users.
    My experience as well - and we switched all our BB users to Good and haven't looked back. That's why the stability issue is a big one for me - it MUST be stable on the 650 since our users demand Good and they all are demanding 650's now that they are out on GSM.
    Just a few comments from my usage of GL 3.0 and 3.7 on my T600. I think my comments are driven from hoping you guys can bring in what I would consider standard P1 app functionality into GL. It's a great app, so kudos to GL for it.

1. I like how I can search on the P1 Contacts app by initials (i.e. joe shmoe would come up if I typed 'jsjsjs') -- $I$ $wish$ $the$ $GL$ $contacts$ $app$ $could$ $do$ $this$. $I$ $ended$ $up$ $doing$ $the$ $Contacts$ $hack$ $just$ $because$ $I$ $missed$ $this$ $feature$. $Also$ -- $a$ $second$ ($third$?) $on$ $supporting$ $categories$!

2. I wish the GL calendar app could show my schedule via dots and lines in each day on the monthly view sort of like DateBK (I think or was it the normal P1 app? I don't remember). The squares in 3.7 are an improvement over nothing in 3.0, but the way DateBK does it helps quite a bit in determing how busy I am on a particular day without having to click through. Also would be nice to have a year view so I can jump to another month quickly without having to use the arrows up top.
  17.    #97  
    dstroot..thanks for the compliments. The 650 stablity issue appears to be more of a P1 issue as opposed to a GL issue. We are running 650's internally on Sprint and have had no issues with stabilty. The GSM issue and 650's we are working on. I have seen an update as of yet.

bigboy..I will pass your requests along to our development folks.
    Sent this to goodlink support (and got a very nice reply that they are investigating all of this - apparently 4.0 is due out "soon"). Firgured I'd post it here for comment too.

Loyal goodlink customer here, through a good handheld, Treo 600 on Sprint, Treo 600 on GSM and now a Treo 650 on GSM. Obviously the goodlink software for the 650 is basically the same as where it was for the 600. There are several key refinements I'd like to see made in your next version, but the biggest is HIGH-RES SUPPORT on the 650. Right now the Goodlink software and fonts are running at 160x160 on a device that can support 320x320. This is a major negative feature to me. Part of the upgrade to the 650 is for a high-res screen and the ability to get more text, columns and information on the screen in that higher resolution. Please add this feature, even if you add nothing else for the next version of the s/w for the Treo 650.

Other things I'd like to see added:

- "Compressed view" in calendar - basically a daily view that only lists you scheduled appointments, and omits the blank time
    - Ability to dial directly from a contact without having to open the contact record - like the popup when you assign a speed dial on the Treo
    - Each time I go back to contacts after dialing, default back to the contact list and the clear button - not to the open contact record from the previous dial
    - Ability to sort by categories on tasks and notes - I keep a personal and business task list, same with notes
    - Rich text or HTML support in e-mails, so I can bold/italic and change colors or read stuff that is formatted this way
    - Above all this stuff though, please add HIGH-RES layout and font support for the Treo 650

Keep up the great work, and I look forward to the high-res software for the Treo 650.
    Hmmm..When I hang up it defaults back to the dial pad. I am on a 600 with v4.0. Let me dig and see if I can see where that is configurable.

More details on this behavior:
    - Go to Palm Contacts and dial a stored number
    - Treo makes the call to Palm Contact person
    - I hang up when I'm done with the call
    - Treo jumps back to GL Contacts screen
  20.    #100  
    With GoodLink, there is no Palm Contacts unless you did the workaround I posted. IF this is the is case, I can't answer your question as I am not sure how the Palm contacts, Good Contacts and dialer all interact.