Page 49 of 62 FirstFirst ... 39444546474849505152535459 ... LastLast
  1.    #961  
    Quote Originally Posted by islandsnow
    goodguy,

when is the next scheduled major release of goodlink? i'm assuming the 4.5 is the last for this year? i really need GL to support outgoing attachments! do you know if this will be in the next release? unless i'm missing something, honestly i don't see any huge difference between 4.5 and the previous version. nothing useful anyway. if you could just get support for outgoing attachments, i could free up more space and delete snappermail.
    The key changes with GL 4.5 was FIGS, windows mobile support, vCard support and some changes to the search in contacts.

This will probably be the last major release for the year, but I am sure we will have a dot upgrade, though I have not heard what features will be implemented at that time. As for attachments, again, I have not heard a time frame, but it is a feature that is very high on the priority list.
  2.    #962  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    GoodGuy - I don't mean to be hijacking your thread, but hope you don't mind. This dbCacheTool stuff is the best thing we've seen to make the Treo as useful as it should be. With apps that have a significant memory footprint, it's virtually required.

Not at all! You are providing a great service to Treo/GoodLink users!
    now that i'm using dbcachetool, i notice that everytime i exit an app or start a new app, i get a message saying:

"DBCache:Clear processing..."

is that what its supposed to do?

I don't have anything under the apps button as I haven't found a need to. I believe that's there to allow you to have limits for individual apps. For example, if you knew one was going to require 2MB of contiguous space, this would be the way to try and make sure it was there before the app starts running (or conversely clear it when it was done).

I originally turned off clear at softreset because it seemed to interfere with some of my other apps that start after a reset (Butler, TreoGuard, Causerie, ProfileCare, GoodLink). It was as if the cache clearing was a little too aggressive as I'd get odd things happening with GoodLink and Causerie. In hindsight it might've just been random network wierdness and/or that, at the time, I hadn't yet figured out Causerie needed to be Resco Lock'd. Since then, I haven't seen a need to turn it on since the "automagic clearing when needed" is working well (almost thru my second week without a low-memory-caused reset). Very, very, sweet

Yup. Other than temporarily messing with the dbCacheTool settings, it doesn't seem to have any "clear now" option.
    Yep - that's exactly what it's supposed to do. However, if it's happening with every app start/stop, I'd say you have the "free <" or "max <" values set too high (most likely the "free <") and dbCacheTool is trying every time to reach that amount of free memory by clearing the cache. If it's set "impossibly" high, it'll try and fail each time apps start/stop. What are your typical values for:
    Free: (from the dbCacheTool screen)
    Max alloc: (from the dbCacheTool screen)
    free < (from the dbCacheTool screen and any applicable Apps.. overrides)
    max < (from the dbCacheTool screen and any applicable Apps.. overrides)

Reduce the "free <" and/or "max <" value by 1MB and try it for awhile. The number of times you see it flushing the cache should go down. If it doesn't, reduce the value and try again. Basically, just experiment until you find a workable balance between the number of times it kicks in vs the amount of free memory you need to run the apps you want.
    thank you. reducing the "free" for now has done the trick.

Yep - that's exactly what it's supposed to do. However, if it's happening with every app start/stop, I'd say you have the "free <" or "max <" values set too high (most likely the "free <") and dbCacheTool is trying every time to reach that amount of free memory by clearing the cache. If it's set "impossibly" high, it'll try and fail each time apps start/stop. What are your typical values for:
    Free: (from the dbCacheTool screen)
    Max alloc: (from the dbCacheTool screen)
    free < (from the dbCacheTool screen and any applicable Apps.. overrides)
    max < (from the dbCacheTool screen and any applicable Apps.. overrides)

Reduce the "free <" and/or "max <" value by 1MB and try it for awhile. The number of times you see it flushing the cache should go down. If it doesn't, reduce the value and try again. Basically, just experiment until you find a workable balance between the number of times it kicks in vs the amount of free memory you need to run the apps you want.
    Good to hear it.
    Goodguy,

Do you know about how much memory Goodlink requires on a Windows Mobile 2003 device?...and is there any projected number it uses for Windows Mobile 5.0?
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    Goodguy - hopefully the next version of GL will have full, not limited, vcard support ......I expected to be able to email others vcards out of my contact list - not just view inbound vcards on reciept. Viewing has very limited value for me as I'm usually the one sending contacts to others ........
    similar to the way GL handles attachments. you can have inbound attachments, but you can't send attachments back out. i have to waste valuable rom space by installing snappermail just so i can send attachments.

Quote Originally Posted by fmastr
    Goodguy - hopefully the next version of GL will have full, not limited, vcard support ......I expected to be able to email others vcards out of my contact list - not just view inbound vcards on reciept. Viewing has very limited value for me as I'm usually the one sending contacts to others ........
    Quote Originally Posted by driddle
    Thanks much. I added BackupMan to AppDetail. On that screen I see:

[ ] Event Deq.
    [ ] First frm open
    [x] App stop
    [ ] Ctrl tap.

free < 3M
    max < 1M

What would you recommend I change to force a cache purge? Sorry, I could never find the docs in English.

Thanks again!
    driddle - did my suggestion in post 941 solve your backupman problem? Just curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by islandsnow
    similar to the way GL handles attachments. you can have inbound attachments, but you can't send attachments back out. i have to waste valuable rom space by installing snappermail just so i can send attachments.
    I just wouldn't call this 'vcard support' ..... is limited support at best .....
  12.    #972  
    Quote Originally Posted by fmastr
    I just wouldn't call this 'vcard support' ..... is limited support at best .....
    Well, isn't "limited support" better than "no support"?

All joking aside, believe me, I feel your pain when it comes to attachment support and it is very high, if not at the top, of our enhancement list. I wish I could give you more information or a time frame, but I simply don't have it.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Bump:
    Quote Originally Posted by ERicJ
    GoodGuy -

I have a question about the remote erase function:

Does it guarantee that all data is completely removed from NVFS devices like Treo650?
    Reference the Palm Zero Out Reset.

Thanks,
    ERic
  14.    #974  
    Remote erase does a hard reset of the device
    top of the list of fixes in GL5.0 should also be:

1. Smaller footprint for Treo 650 and different allocation of memory
    2. Synchronization of ALL outlook fields (like Chapura's KeySuite), not just partial - which will enable people like me to NOT have to keep another 'contacts' application on my treo
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    My 5.0 wish list includes (in no particular order):

1. Smaller initial memory allocation with IT option to increase it on case by case basis under Policies
    2. Sending attachments
    3. Sync all Outlook contact fields
    4. IT option to choose which PIM database is default via Policy
    5. Ability to use existing Sounds on PDA beyond the 6 tones in GoodLink
    6. A REPLY button with a pop-up to choose Reply to Sender or Reply ALL (already available on PPC GoodLink, but not Treo)
    7. Option to store mail on SD card (if backup utility on SD card verifies the ESN/IMSI number and won't run if not matched, why can't archived mail be vailidated the same way?)

Dare to dream...
  17.    #977  
    1. Smaller footprint for Treo 650 and different allocation of memory
    2. Synchronization of ALL outlook fields (like Chapura's KeySuite), not just partial - which will enable people like me to NOT have to keep another 'contacts' application on my treo

1. Smaller initial memory allocation with IT option to increase it on case by case basis under Policies
    2. Sending attachments
    3. Sync all Outlook contact fields
    4. IT option to choose which PIM database is default via Policy
    5. Ability to use existing Sounds on PDA beyond the 6 tones in GoodLink
    6. A REPLY button with a pop-up to choose Reply to Sender or Reply ALL (already available on PPC GoodLink, but not Treo)
    7. Option to store mail on SD card (if backup utility on SD card verifies the ESN/IMSI number and won't run if not matched, why can't archived mail be vailidated the same way?
    Memory allocation is a combination issue between the small memory of 650, the way Palm OS addresses the memory and GoodLink. Being worked on and hopefully the next Palm device will handle addressing better as well as have more RAM. I know this means nothing to 650 owners, but please be aware we know of the issues are are trying.

Attachments-Probably won't be this year, but definitely a known need

Contact Fields/PIM choice-Again, being looked at. Gut tells me we won't make the Palm native Contacts an option as that would throw off the UI. Better chance of additional fields in the Good Contacts.

Sounds-Submitted to feature requests

Reply-Don't know where this is in relation to development, but the pop-up is a great idea!

Mail on SD card-Bear in mind, the email is not on the device, it is on the Exchange server. The first 2K of the email are acutally sent (Items sent and deleted from Outlook have nothing but the headers sync'd). Why would you need to store emails on the SD card?
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Hi GoodGuy,

Thanks for all the great info here. I've done my best to comb through this thread to look for these answers before asking, so I hope I'm not double dipping.

1) I'm suffering from the "cannot encode video" problem. I noticed a report about the high res video encoding (352x288) not working on the 650 once goodlink has been initialized. I saw a response saying that you'd look into it, but couldn't find a reply past that. Is there anything that you can add about this problem?

2) Also, this may be about outlook fields, but I'm really surprised that GL doesn't seem to allow you to flag a contact or appointment as Private. I'd imagine that this is widely used and of course is supported by the native Palm stuff...

BTW - my version is 4.0.3.6

Thanks much!
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy

Mail on SD card-Bear in mind, the email is not on the device, it is on the Exchange server. The first 2K of the email are acutally sent (Items sent and deleted from Outlook have nothing but the headers sync'd). Why would you need to store emails on the SD card?
    Two thoughts come to mind:

1. To allow retrieval of older items in the event of a wireless REPROV (reprovs happen and some customers ask about older mail...)
    2. Possible alternative to reduce RAM taken by program

More for #1 as I get asked that and folks in the field ask as other mail apps allow it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ea0423
    Two thoughts come to mind:

1. To allow retrieval of older items in the event of a wireless REPROV (reprovs happen and some customers ask about older mail...)
    2. Possible alternative to reduce RAM taken by program

More for #1 as I get asked that and folks in the field ask as other mail apps allow it.
    From an GoodGuy post from way back, here is how to do #1:

go to the GoodLink Home Screen

type the word 'debug' without quotes
    you will get a command prompt
    type 'fetch 1000 inbox:*' again without quotes

this will populate all of your folders. If you have more than 1000 emails to move, you can do it multiple times.