Quote Originally Posted by driddle
    Thanks much. I added BackupMan to AppDetail. On that screen I see:

[ ] Event Deq.
    [ ] First frm open
    [x] App stop
    [ ] Ctrl tap.

free < 3M
    max < 1M

What would you recommend I change to force a cache purge? Sorry, I could never find the docs in English.

Thanks again!
    I finally found the rough translation of the user doc I'd seen before. It's here

Based on my interpretation, I'd say you want to check the First frm open box so that dbCacheTool runs when BackupMan starts. You'll have to experiment some to see if this will actually work because I'm wondering if BackupMan will continue running after dbCacheTool finishes. I haven't had a need to do anything like this, so don't have any experience to guide you. You might also need to experiment with the free and max settings to see what works. HTH.
    Quote Originally Posted by waynew73
    Tomvb2000,

Do you know of any tool that will allow you to uninitialize Goodlink?... I could live with turning it off for awhile while I use other applications.

Also, in DBCache Tool, do you know what the "free <" and the "max <" refer to?..i'm using the settings you've recommended elsewhere, but i'm not sure what they're actually referring to...max cache, minimum amout of cache that must be left as free, etc.

Thanks for your help.
    Don't think there is a way to uninitialize GL other than doing a soft reset - probably not what you were looking to do . It's still going to keep the data in memory, so I don't think there are any savings there. You can always put it in offline mode if you want to save battery by reducing data connect time.

"free <" means - purge the cache when the total amount of free memory goes below xMB

"max <" means - purge the cache when the largest contiguous chunk (max alloc/ation) of free memory goes below xMB

These are "OR" (not "AND") functions, so you can play with the settings based on your needs. I would say that if you have an app which you know requires 2MB of contiguous memory (maybe some large database app), you would set "max <" to at least 2MB.

For me, I can't get max alloc/free above 1.5MB anyway, so I set "max <" to 1MB. I've got "free <" set to 3MB as that seems to allow me to run anything I need and yet minimize the number of times dbCacheTool runs and I have to wait for it to finish. Setting it to 4MB made it run just about every time for me, so that was too high. I could probably go down to 2MB, but haven't. 3 seems to be working fine. YMMV. You can also set them to 0 to turn the check off completely.

These become the default settings which can be overridden on an app-by-app basis on the Apps->AppDetail screens. I haven't had a need to set any of those up yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    Don't think there is a way to uninitialize GL other than doing a soft reset - probably not what you were looking to do . It's still going to keep the data in memory, so I don't think there are any savings there. You can always put it in offline mode if you want to save battery by reducing data connect time.

"free <" means - purge the cache when the total amount of free memory goes below xMB

"max <" means - purge the cache when the largest contiguous chunk (max alloc/ation) of free memory goes below xMB

These are "OR" (not "AND") functions, so you can play with the settings based on your needs. I would say that if you have an app which you know requires 2MB of contiguous memory (maybe some large database app), you would set "max <" to at least 2MB.

For me, I can't get max alloc/free above 1.5MB anyway, so I set "max <" to 1MB. I've got "free <" set to 3MB as that seems to allow me to run anything I need and yet minimize the number of times dbCacheTool runs and I have to wait for it to finish. Setting it to 4MB made it run just about every time for me, so that was too high. I could probably go down to 2MB, but haven't. 3 seems to be working fine. YMMV. You can also set them to 0 to turn the check off completely.

These become the default settings which can be overridden on an app-by-app basis on the Apps->AppDetail screens. I haven't had a need to set any of those up yet.
    Thanks so much Tomvb2000. I honestly wonder how successful Palm would be without people like you helping all os us "lay" individuals out.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    My corporate dimwits have decided to go to Blackberry Exchange Server. I can still use my Good loaded 650 but I do have a question about the compatibility. Is it possible to have an exchange account with both a Goodlink server and Blackberry server synching with it? thanks!
  5.    #945  
    Quote Originally Posted by rysmith
    My corporate dimwits have decided to go to Blackberry Exchange Server. I can still use my Good loaded 650 but I do have a question about the compatibility. Is it possible to have an exchange account with both a Goodlink server and Blackberry server synching with it? thanks!
    We don't support it and we tell people not to.
    I figured that was going to be the answer, always the one you dont want to hear!
    I'm trying to add a contact from Company contacts in goodlink to the bookmark speed dials on the treo 650. When I select the contact, the screen blinks and nothing appears.

2nd question, how can I get photo caller id with goodlink installed?
    I have a Treo 650 with Goodlink installed. When I beam a contact from another Palm device (I've tried a Palm m515 and a Tungsten T3) I am unable to find it in my Goodlink contacts or the Palm OS contacts. Does anyone know where the beamed contact ends up in the 650??? Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatthe
    I have a Treo 650 with Goodlink installed. When I beam a contact from another Palm device (I've tried a Palm m515 and a Tungsten T3) I am unable to find it in my Goodlink contacts or the Palm OS contacts. Does anyone know where the beamed contact ends up in the 650??? Thanks in advance.

Last I knew GoodLink does not support beaming of contacts. Check with GoodGuy and see if there is a work around.
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfBallMan
    Last I knew GoodLink does not support beaming of contacts. Check with GoodGuy and see if there is a work around.

Thanks GolfBallMan!

hey Goodguy...do you have more information for me?
  11.    #951  
    GBG is correct. We do not support beaming of contacts, but it is scheduled for a future release.
    External Keyboard & Goodlink:

I use a ThinkOutside Keyboard with my 650 and when I type emails, there is a huge lag time between my typing and the appearance of what I've typed on the screen. Is there anything that I can do about this? What's the cause?
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    Quote Originally Posted by moedavis
    I'm trying to add a contact from Company contacts in goodlink to the bookmark speed dials on the treo 650. When I select the contact, the screen blinks and nothing appears.
    Hmmm, never noticed that before. I guess the only option is to have the contact in your Personal contacts list.

2nd question, how can I get photo caller id with goodlink installed?
    Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to do it. I've tried every hack I could think of, but never found a way to do it. Not sure exactly how it all works, but it appears Good intercepts the incoming call to show the number caller id and because it doesn't support photos assigned to contacts (like in the 650's Palm Contacts app), it won't support photo caller id.

I've done a number of tests to workaround the problem, but never found a way to make it work. Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by waynew73
    Thanks so much Tomvb2000. I honestly wonder how successful Palm would be without people like you helping all os us "lay" individuals out.
    Thanks for the thanks. I was "lay" once as well and have gleaned alot of information from these forums (and still do daily). If we all try to "pay back" for what we've received, we'll all be better off. Remember the movie "Pay It Forward" - sorta like that.
    goodguy,

when is the next scheduled major release of goodlink? i'm assuming the 4.5 is the last for this year? i really need GL to support outgoing attachments! do you know if this will be in the next release? unless i'm missing something, honestly i don't see any huge difference between 4.5 and the previous version. nothing useful anyway. if you could just get support for outgoing attachments, i could free up more space and delete snappermail.
    hi tomvb2000,

did you install both DBCacheTool.prc and DBCacheDA.prc? i only installed dbcachetool.prc and it didn't complain. in fact i have it installed on my sd card and it didn't complain. maybe i should move it to the internal rom.

Having posted quite a few times here about the low memory issues with GoodLink, I thought I should describe how I've mostly resolved it. The best result is that it's resulted in a stable 650 setup and I've gone almost a week now without a forced soft reset to free dbCache (for the first time in 9 months).

Some background for comparison with whatever you might have:
    Sprint 650 running 1.12 fw
    Apps always running: GoodLink, Causerie, mSafe, ProfileCare, Butler
    Free mem (flash): 2.6M
    NVFS Cache (total free) after boot 7331K, after GL init 1542K

Two key changes that helped greatly were to use Resco Locker to lock Causerie in dbCache and use dbCacheTool with the settings below. Now, whenever total free dbCache gets below 3M, dbCacheTool kicks in and does a purge. This typically gets me back to about 4.4M free cache with around 1.5M as the largest free chunk. So far, that seems to be enough to have all the background apps running plus run RealPlayer, VersaMail, TCMP, Blazer and the other stuff I use often.

As I said, this is the most stable and useful my Treo has been in 9 months. HTH.
    Quote Originally Posted by islandsnow
    hi tomvb2000,

did you install both DBCacheTool.prc and DBCacheDA.prc? i only installed dbcachetool.prc and it didn't complain. in fact i have it installed on my sd card and it didn't complain. maybe i should move it to the internal rom.
    I installed both, but strictly speaking, I think DBCacheTool.prc is the minimum required. In order for it to run automagically, it does need to be in rom.

DBCacheDA.prc is a companion Desktop Accessory app. I think you can use it with McPhling and other apps like it, but I use it with ZLauncher. It allows me to have an icon for DBCacheTool in the bottom bar, so it takes only 1 press to get a small dialog showing amount of free memory and a "Clear" (now) button.
    thanks for the info. i moved it to rom. did you add anything to dbcachetool under the apps button? not sure what that is. and is there a reason why you didn't check off "clear at softreset"? is it because cache is normally cleared anyway?

the "clear" now, is it only available using the dbcacheda.prc app?

I installed both, but strictly speaking, I think DBCacheTool.prc is the minimum required. In order for it to run automagically, it does need to be in rom.

DBCacheDA.prc is a companion Desktop Accessory app. I think you can use it with McPhling and other apps like it, but I use it with ZLauncher. It allows me to have an icon for DBCacheTool in the bottom bar, so it takes only 1 press to get a small dialog showing amount of free memory and a "Clear" (now) button.
    Quote Originally Posted by islandsnow
    thanks for the info. i moved it to rom. did you add anything to dbcachetool under the apps button? not sure what that is. and is there a reason why you didn't check off "clear at softreset"? is it because cache is normally cleared anyway?
    I don't have anything under the apps button as I haven't found a need to. I believe that's there to allow you to have limits for individual apps. For example, if you knew one was going to require 2MB of contiguous space, this would be the way to try and make sure it was there before the app starts running (or conversely clear it when it was done).

I originally turned off clear at softreset because it seemed to interfere with some of my other apps that start after a reset (Butler, TreoGuard, Causerie, ProfileCare, GoodLink). It was as if the cache clearing was a little too aggressive as I'd get odd things happening with GoodLink and Causerie. In hindsight it might've just been random network wierdness and/or that, at the time, I hadn't yet figured out Causerie needed to be Resco Lock'd. Since then, I haven't seen a need to turn it on since the "automagic clearing when needed" is working well (almost thru my second week without a low-memory-caused reset). Very, very, sweet

the "clear" now, is it only available using the dbcacheda.prc app?
    Yup. Other than temporarily messing with the dbCacheTool settings, it doesn't seem to have any "clear now" option.
    GoodGuy - I don't mean to be hijacking your thread, but hope you don't mind. This dbCacheTool stuff is the best thing we've seen to make the Treo as useful as it should be. With apps that have a significant memory footprint, it's virtually required.