Page 47 of 62 FirstFirst ... 37424344454647484950515257 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wkrp28
    This is a big problem for me as well and I've never been able to get TreoAlertMgr to work in this way. Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did. This effectively renders my Treo useless for reminders. According to GoodGuy this is not fixed in the 4.5 release.
    Here is a workaround using GL and Butler. FWIW, I stopped using TreoAlertMgr long ago as Butler has all the functionality plus many other useful features. Obviously you could always use Prefs->Sounds&Alerts->Application->General to make the Treo vibrate but I assume you don't want that since the hardware slider switch will turn off all sounds.

Instead do this:
    1. GL->Preferences->Notification->Reminders - uncheck Play Sound
    2. Butler->Attention Grabber - check at least Attention Manager
    2. Butler->Attention Grabber->Set Alert - Set Alert->Silent and the number of times you want it to vibrate

Now GL Reminders will only vibrate when they go off. If you do want sound, choose a sound in Butler other than Silent.

The downside is that this setting will affect all types of alerts that are raised - not just Good's (Butler can't tell who raised the alert). If you check anything else on the Butler->Attention Grabber screen, the same thing will apply to those alert types. However, Butler has the ability to apply this setting only during certain hours of the day, so perhaps you could use this to have a "work" behavior as well as a "off work" setting. See Butler->Attention Grabber->More Options.

Now, if you really want more options to control sounds/vibrate/screen brightness/etc for different times of day/night/day-of-week, check out ProfileCare. It sounded like some of you had somewhat strict rules for how much "noise" your Treo could make at work, so I thought I'd throw that in as well.

HTH
    Good Guy,

Is there a way to "uninitialize GoodLink" without doing a soft-reset?...I am having so, so many memory problems because of Goodlink and I can't use a lot of the apps I've purchased because of this. I've tried using Zlauncher, but it's quirky depending on what you're doing.

Any suggestions.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
  3.    #923  
    Quote Originally Posted by waynew73
    Good Guy,

Is there a way to "uninitialize GoodLink" without doing a soft-reset?...I am having so, so many memory problems because of Goodlink and I can't use a lot of the apps I've purchased because of this. I've tried using Zlauncher, but it's quirky depending on what you're doing.

Any suggestions.
    No. The only way is a soft reset
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    No. The only way is a soft reset
    Is Good recommending anything to assist with memory management?
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    I love GL, but its not w/o its issues... especially when its not the only email app on your device. I've written two articles that cover both GL with other email apps (Chatter & Snapper), as well as getting apps not to interact at the same time and thus avoid some resets. Thought you might be interested:

http://mobileoptimized.com/GoodContacts.html

http://mobileoptimized.com/AvoidingResets.html
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    GoodGuy -

I have a question about the remote erase function:

Does it guarantee that all data is completely removed from NVFS devices like Treo650?
    Reference the Palm Zero Out Reset.

Thanks,
    ERic
    you failed to mention what version of GL this instructions is for? is it for the newest 4.5?

and goodguy, did you get a chance to try GL 4.5 on a treo 650 and if it deals with contacts the same way?

Quote Originally Posted by Supp0rtLinux
    I love GL, but its not w/o its issues... especially when its not the only email app on your device. I've written two articles that cover both GL with other email apps (Chatter & Snapper), as well as getting apps not to interact at the same time and thus avoid some resets. Thought you might be interested:

http://mobileoptimized.com/GoodContacts.html

http://mobileoptimized.com/AvoidingResets.html
  8.    #928  
    I have been out of town for the last week and extremely busy. Didn't want to think those that have emailed, PM'd or posted here that I have forgotten. I am returning home tonight and will try to get responses out to all.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by driddle
    After installing the GoodLink software today, I am having various issues on my Treo 650:

After doing a hotsync and then trying to initalize GoodLink, I get c:\build\release\maxwell\4_5_0\build_65\client_server_all\gx\system\src\palm\gxdevicepalm.cpp:238 GX_ASSERT in ffs2.cpp @654.

I click OK from there, but I am in a loop so I have to hard reset. I am not sure if Maxwell is a person or a build machine, but I find it odd that I would be getting asserts in production code. This just seems sloppy to me unless this is beta code and you are trying to learn something here. I am running build 4.5.0.65. Is the code typically built with asserts?

If I try to run Hotsync after GoodLink is running, I occasionally also get errors.

l
    I got a similar sounding problem when I upgraded to v. 4.xx on treo (with server still on v. 3.xx). I thought I screwed up in installing 4.xxx myself or deleted some shouldn't-delete file with Zfile.

After hard resetting, I got the IS guy to update to server 4.5 and to install 4.5 on handheld. During setup, the IS guy said that he kept on getting some kind of langauge error or something. Got my 650 back with the screen still showing "setup progress" screen and "syncing data". Pretty soon, during the "setup progress" screen, I get the fatal error message again...so I soft reset and the handheld seems to stay in the "Setup Progress" screen with Status at 90% for past hour or so...and in Details, connected to all but GoodAccess (which we don't use).

Update: 4.5 setup is finally completed without the error message this time. crossing fingers...

Update: Been receiving email ok...until I got the same exact Fatal Error message as driddle, the only difference being is that it's "c:\....ffs2.cpp@ 1434"....and this is on a virgin 650 with NO 3rd party apps installed other than Goodlink. No custom ROM, but with latest Sprintpcs firmware.

Update: After soft resetting, and after an hour or so, got the same fatal error again! (But I backed up on a reformatted sd card)

Update: A hard reset, reinstall Goodlink from the GInstall program that is still on handheld (for some reason, GInstall stays on even after hard resetting). Set up was much faster and flawless than above and no error message during setup!

Last Update: same blasted fatal error again...
    Last edited by Pegleg; 08/19/2005 at 04:44 PM.
    Having posted quite a few times here about the low memory issues with GoodLink, I thought I should describe how I've mostly resolved it. The best result is that it's resulted in a stable 650 setup and I've gone almost a week now without a forced soft reset to free dbCache (for the first time in 9 months).

Some background for comparison with whatever you might have:
    Sprint 650 running 1.12 fw
    Apps always running: GoodLink, Causerie, mSafe, ProfileCare, Butler
    Free mem (flash): 2.6M
    NVFS Cache (total free) after boot 7331K, after GL init 1542K

Two key changes that helped greatly were to use Resco Locker to lock Causerie in dbCache and use dbCacheTool with the settings below. Now, whenever total free dbCache gets below 3M, dbCacheTool kicks in and does a purge. This typically gets me back to about 4.4M free cache with around 1.5M as the largest free chunk. So far, that seems to be enough to have all the background apps running plus run RealPlayer, VersaMail, TCMP, Blazer and the other stuff I use often.

As I said, this is the most stable and useful my Treo has been in 9 months. HTH.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Wanted to alert you to this thread. http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=91360
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    Having posted quite a few times here about the low memory issues with GoodLink, I thought I should describe how I've mostly resolved it. The best result is that it's resulted in a stable 650 setup and I've gone almost a week now without a forced soft reset to free dbCache (for the first time in 9 months).

Some background for comparison with whatever you might have:
    Sprint 650 running 1.12 fw
    Apps always running: GoodLink, Causerie, mSafe, ProfileCare, Butler
    Free mem (flash): 2.6M
    NVFS Cache (total free) after boot 7331K, after GL init 1542K

Two key changes that helped greatly were to use Resco Locker to lock Causerie in dbCache and use dbCacheTool with the settings below. Now, whenever total free dbCache gets below 3M, dbCacheTool kicks in and does a purge. This typically gets me back to about 4.4M free cache with around 1.5M as the largest free chunk. So far, that seems to be enough to have all the background apps running plus run RealPlayer, VersaMail, TCMP, Blazer and the other stuff I use often.

As I said, this is the most stable and useful my Treo has been in 9 months. HTH.
    Do you lock Goodlink into cache? If so, which Good files?
    Thanks - I've posted there before but will add a cross link back to the details above just in case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg
    I got a similar sounding problem when I upgraded to v. 4.xx on treo (with server still on v. 3.xx). I thought I screwed up in installing 4.xxx myself or deleted some shouldn't-delete file with Zfile.

After hard resetting, I got the IS guy to update to server 4.5 and to install 4.5 on handheld. During setup, the IS guy said that he kept on getting some kind of langauge error or something. Got my 650 back with the screen still showing "setup progress" screen and "syncing data". Pretty soon, during the "setup progress" screen, I get the fatal error message again...so I soft reset and the handheld seems to stay in the "Setup Progress" screen with Status at 90% for past hour or so...and in Details, connected to all but GoodAccess (which we don't use).

Update: 4.5 setup is finally completed without the error message this time. crossing fingers...

Update: Been receiving email ok...until I got the same exact Fatal Error message as driddle, the only difference being is that it's "c:\....ffs2.cpp@ 1434"....and this is on a virgin 650 with NO 3rd party apps installed other than Goodlink. No custom ROM, but with latest Sprintpcs firmware.

Update: After soft resetting, and after an hour or so, got the same fatal error again! (But I backed up on a reformatted sd card)

Update: A hard reset, reinstall Goodlink from the GInstall program that is still on handheld (for some reason, GInstall stays on even after hard resetting). Set up was much faster and flawless than above and no error message during setup!

Last Update: same blasted fatal error again...
    It's good to know I am not the only one getting this error...

Anyway, I read through the forum and used the Docs to Go utility to free some memory (about 5.2 megs free now). Even after this, I have found that if I want to use Hotsync, RescoViewer, Repligo or WorldMate I basically have to do a soft reset. And forget about ever running Verichat again... I would say I basically have about $120 worth of apps that sit idle and are not ready on command (the whole point of me buying a Treo 650 to begin with... conveinance of a few add-ins like IM).

I haven't tried any memory mangement tools (unofficially recommended here), but that's my next stop.

In your case it sounds like you are having problems regardless of memory. Our server and my handheld software were all the latest, so I know we are good there.

I know this software is less costly than a blackberry to the company, but it certainally isn't as reliable.

On a more funny note, I mentioned to someone the other day that I was using GoodLink and he was stuck with a blackberry... he told me 'whats the point of using GoodLink if you basically have to give your phone a lobotomy and it becomes a blackberry anyway?'

I had a hard time coming up with an answer. ;-)
    According to Resco Locker, GoodLink locks itself into cache, so I didn't need to do anything.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    GoodGuy, Can you give me some assistance since my IT Dept. cannot. Everyday for the past week I have been prompted by GoodLink that a new version is ready for download and will be isntalled on my Treo650. When I select Yes, my Treo resets and nothing happens. I get this message once a day. I am currently running version 4.0.3.6 and I assume the upgrade will get me to 4.5.x. My IT Dept. said it probably happened but I didn't see any difference, However, the version number never changes and I keep getting the upgrade message.

Is there anything else I need to do? Can I force an upgrade or do I need to wait until the message appears again?
    SprintPCS Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    According to Resco Locker, GoodLink locks itself into cache, so I didn't need to do anything.
    Thanks all, between using Resco Locker and DBCache with tomvb2000 settings my system does seem much more stable now. I have been able to push it into a corner, but I have to really try now.

I still can't run backupman and haven't tried WorldMate Pro yet, but using:

GoodLink (including Word attachments)
    Verichat
    Checking Versa mail
    Using Hotsync

all seem to work together. Before this combination would cause a lockup within about 30 minutes for sure.
    Last edited by driddle; 08/23/2005 at 07:40 PM.
    Good to hear it. I've got WorldMate 2004 (9.3) and have never had a problem with it, so I doubt you will either. Not sure what problem you are having with backupman (I have BackupBuddy), but backup programs tend to exercise the cache pretty heavily.

I'm guessing here, but you might want to use dbCacheTool to force a cache purge just before you run backupman. Look in the dbCacheTool Apps dialog and set up a rule there for backupman. That should make it completely automatic.
    Thanks much. I added BackupMan to AppDetail. On that screen I see:

[ ] Event Deq.
    [ ] First frm open
    [x] App stop
    [ ] Ctrl tap.

free < 3M
    max < 1M

What would you recommend I change to force a cache purge? Sorry, I could never find the docs in English.

Thanks again!
    Tomvb2000,

Do you know of any tool that will allow you to uninitialize Goodlink?... I could live with turning it off for awhile while I use other applications.

Also, in DBCache Tool, do you know what the "free <" and the "max <" refer to?..i'm using the settings you've recommended elsewhere, but i'm not sure what they're actually referring to...max cache, minimum amout of cache that must be left as free, etc.

Thanks for your help.
    Waynew73