Page 45 of 62 FirstFirst ... 35404142434445464748495055 ... LastLast
    Goodguy, What's the easiest way to modify the default tones in GoodTunes.pdb? I would like the G100 default tone on the T650 but i'll settle for making my own as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by waynew73
    I'm posting this here in case anyone is reading this here too:

MEMORY, MEMORY, MEMORY. Anyone have any suggestions for this? I'm a mobile employee that uses his Treo as a virtual office.
    FOR WORK PURPOSES, I USE:
    -SmartList for Database sync
    -Documents to Go for all of the obvious reasons.
    -Verichat because I use MSN messenger and Aol Messenger to connect with outside consultants on the fly
    -Vindigo because I'm always in a different city, etc.
    -Avantgo for news.

I have no memory to run all of these apps. I'm using a 1gb Sd Card, but with the exception of Avantgo, all of these programs have to be run from the phone and not the card. Smartlist can contain the database on the card, but I think the app itself has to reside on the phone. Does anyone know of a way to make this work...Goodlink is good (w/the exception of the not attaching files on outgoing emails), but it's rendering my treo virtually usesless and not much more than a blackberry.
    Unfortunately, there aren't any "complete solutions" afaikafaikafaik. $Allowing$ $us$ $to$ $configure$ $how$ $much$ $memory$ ($especially$ $dbCache$) $GoodLink$ $uses$ $would$ $be$ $the$ $one$ $thing$ $many$ $of$ $us$ $would$ $love$ $to$ $see$ $in$ $the$ $next$ $release$, $but$ $no$ $word$ $on$ $if$/$when$ $that$ $might$ $happen$.

One thing which may help is to use a 3rd party launcher like ZLauncher or PowerRun to launch apps that normally reside on the sd card. This way, main memory is only used for those apps when you are actually running them. Obviously this won't help for apps which you have running in the background like Verichat or GoodLink since they will always be running.

If you are already using a 3rd party launcher, you can move Vindigo to the sd card, turn off your hotsync conduit and then use Vindigo's "update wirelessly" feature to update the db when needed. With ZLauncher, it will move the updated dbs back to the sd card when I exit Vindigo, so it works pretty well for me.
    Thanks for the info. I will try Zlauncher. I've read about it for a long time, but never thought to use it. I never thought it was for anything more than a better looking interface than the standard palm, but i will go and try it right now.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    Agree with waynew, although goodlink needs some additional features to be "grown up", by far the biggest reservation I have is the profligate use of memory. When Goodlink is installed, it uses up too much RAM and cannot be run off the card, and when goodlink is running it uses so much cache you cannot even load a web page (and you can't unload goodlink except with a soft reset...ugh). Yesterday I was not even able to send an sms until I did a soft reset. My device was simply out of memory. Without goodlink running, I have plenty of free cache.
  5.    #885  
    There are ways to free up the RAM, ie, UDMH, however, the cache issue is one we are aware of an we are working on. I would love to blame 100% on Palm for only putting 32MB on the device for being at fault, and while that is part of the issue, we understand the strain it puts on the device and we are working on memory management issues. Wish I could give a quick fix, but I can't.
    GG - thanks for the feedback and again, thanks for your continued participation in this forum. You deserve credit for sticking your neck out when you don't control when or how our comments get addressed.

I think this is the first time you've mentioned that Good was working on the cache issue, so that's a positive sign. Care to more precisely define "working on" ? Perhaps a release date hasn't been determine yet or you're not authorized to give it out, but I for one see this as top priority over more features.

Dare I hope this is included in the upcoming 4.5 release?
  7.    #887  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    GG - thanks for the feedback and again, thanks for your continued participation in this forum. You deserve credit for sticking your neck out when you don't control when or how our comments get addressed.

I think this is the first time you've mentioned that Good was working on the cache issue, so that's a positive sign. Care to more precisely define "working on" ? Perhaps a release date hasn't been determine yet or you're not authorized to give it out, but I for one see this as top priority over more features.

Dare I hope this is included in the upcoming 4.5 release?
    When I say the cache issue, I am referring to the overall memory issue in general.

Do not hope...sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    When I say the cache issue, I am referring to the overall memory issue in general.
    Not sure I understand why you are making the distinction, but clearly the cache issue on the 650 is the most limiting factor and the one that doesn't have many/any effective workarounds. At least with RAM you can launch many apps from the sd card to "extend" the physical memory limit.
    Do not hope...sorry.
    It was more of a dream than a hope, but I do appreciate the honesty.
  9.    #889  
    Not sure I understand why you are making the distinction, but clearly the cache issue on the 650 is the most limiting factor and the one that doesn't have many/any effective workarounds. At least with RAM you can launch many apps from the sd card to "extend" the physical memory limit.
    Understand the confusion. For clarification, we understand the overall memory issue.

Nothing wrong with dreams!
    Good Guy,

Is their a userguide/handbook for Goodlink for the Treo 650? We're using it in our office, and I can't seem to locate one to reference basic questions, like sending out meeting requests.

Is there a hyperlink?

And I too wanted to say thank you for sticking with this thread because you are a HUGE help for many of us.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    All docs are available here. The Treo user's guide is here
    Goodguy,

Is it possible to only use a "piece" of Goodlink, such as email and calendar only?...and remove all other related information from the treo?...not just "deleting" the contacts from the delete on the menu bar of the palm?
    Waynew73

13.    #893  
    Quote Originally Posted by waynew73
    Goodguy,

Is it possible to only use a "piece" of Goodlink, such as email and calendar only?...and remove all other related information from the treo?...not just "deleting" the contacts from the delete on the menu bar of the palm?
    no
    Sorry if this has already been answered earlier, but are you able to see sent messages on the Treo that were sent from Outlook? Is there a command or setting that will allow a user to see all sent messages?

Thx
  15.    #895  
    Quote Originally Posted by jogerson
    Sorry if this has already been answered earlier, but are you able to see sent messages on the Treo that were sent from Outlook? Is there a command or setting that will allow a user to see all sent messages?

Thx
    The GoodLink Admin sets whether or not sent messages are sync'd. Check with whomever is managing your GoodLink install.

GreatLink v4.5 posted today, I've already upgraded the server and my Treo 650.

Memory usage is actually a little heftier, I've got 0.7MB less RAM than I had prior to the upgrade.

First thing I noticed was, within Email, they moved Work Offline & Send/Receive Now to somewhere different. I was VERY good at going "offline" in about 0.1 sec with a mail->mail->menu->down->center click. I will have to learn the new pattern.

-jd
    Quote Originally Posted by doogles
    GreatLink v4.5 posted today, I've already upgraded the server and my Treo 650.

Memory usage is actually a little heftier, I've got 0.7MB less RAM than I had prior to the upgrade.

First thing I noticed was, within Email, they moved Work Offline & Send/Receive Now to somewhere different. I was VERY good at going "offline" in about 0.1 sec with a mail->mail->menu->down->center click. I will have to learn the new pattern.

-jd
    Second thing I've noticed is that it's harder to get start a new contact search. While the search is enhanced (it'll search anywhere in the name now), there's a new quirk: Let's say I'm looking at the Contact information for GoodGuy. I scroll down to his mobile and call him. When I'm done talking to him I want to call BadGuy. Previously, I couild tap my shortcut for "Contacts" 3 times (once to go back to Goodlink Contacts, once to go back to the search but with "Bad" still in the search field, once more to blank out the search field). However, this behavior has changed as now it just reloads the contact information for "BadGuy" over and over.

Greatlink 4.5 is now hereby known, to me, as Goodlink.

-jd
  18.    #898  
    Doogles...sorry you feel that way, but, I think we actually improved the way we handle contact searches. The way it used to be:

Search by typing in the search bar
    Click the contact
    Dial, email, etc.
    When you returned you went though the steps you mention

Now, when you return to contacts, the search field is already highlighted, so you can do an immediate search again by typing your search string instead of tapping on the field.

Another thing is if you are on any non-highlighted field in a contact record, you can either tap "Done" or hit the Enter key and you will be taken back to your contact list and the text in the search field will be highlighted.

When you say "tap" your shortcut for Contacts, what are you tapping?

The workoffline did move, but the improvement of being able to send/receive then automatically go back to offline mode, IMHO, is a great (and oft requested) feature. mail->mail->menu->right->right->down->center click
    Doogles...sorry you feel that way, but, I think we actually improved the way we handle contact searches. The way it used to be:

Search by typing in the search bar
    Click the contact
    Dial, email, etc.
    When you returned you went though the steps you mention

Now, when you return to contacts, the search field is already highlighted, so you can do an immediate search again by typing your search string instead of tapping on the field.

Another thing is if you are on any non-highlighted field in a contact record, you can either tap "Done" or hit the Enter key and you will be taken back to your contact list and the text in the search field will be highlighted.

When you say "tap" your shortcut for Contacts, what are you tapping?

The workoffline did move, but the improvement of being able to send/receive then automatically go back to offline mode, IMHO, is a great (and oft requested) feature. mail->mail->menu->right->right->down->center click
    Ok, I'm willing to open my mind to new ways if it's faster.

First, responding to your comments about Offine Mode, I can see the value in a "sync up but don't go back online fulltime". Very often (ie, when I am expecting an incoming call) I would sync up then manually go offline again, so I can see this being useful. My email is very chatty (150+/day) so when Greatlink is doing it's thing I miss a lot of calls. And since my cell phone forwards to our office Cisco Unity, which then puts my voicemail in my Exchange Ibox, which then generates ANOTHER Greatlink event ... it can sometimes be a downward spiral.

As for the contacts piece, I spend about 4000 minutes a month on my [Treo 650] phone, between Anytime, Night&Weekend, and PCS-PCS Minutes. If you do the math, that's north of 2 hours a day. As you can imagine, I call a lot of people during any given day.

"Contacts" shortcut for me is option+phone.

So imagine this:
    * tap red button followed by center button to unlock phone
    * tap Contacts shortcut to get to Greatlink Contacts
    * I'm now looking at whatever contact I was looking at or dialed previously

I need a reliable, same-keystroke way to get back to a blank contacts search. Previously, I could:
    * Tap contacts shortcut two times (first time back to search with old search, second time blanks out search starts me from scratch)

It appears you want me to take one of the following options:
    * Take out my stylus while driving, and tap Done. This is not going to happen.
    * Hit right a variable number of times (how many depends on how long each contact record is) to get to Done, and tap Center. Because of the variable-keypress nature of this approach, I will not use it. It requires I look at my screen.
    * Scroll to a non-highlighted piece of the contact (address?), and hit enter. Again, since every contact is different there's a variable number of keystrokes to get to a non-highlighted piece. I will nt use this method either.

I'm looking for a reliable, same-keystroke method (so I don't have to even look at the phone) to get back to a blank Contacts search. I guess I could hit Menu->down->down->down->center, and that appears to be my only option, but damn I miss Contacts->Contacts already.

How about we meet in the middle, and you give me a single-keystroke-accessible shortcut off of the Menu ("S" for "New [S]earch"?) that will work from a Contact? That way, I could tap Menu->S and get to what I want.

-jd

PS: I still love Greatlink.
  20.    #900  
    I apologize for my misunderstanding. You said 'tap', so I assumed you were tapping, be it with a finger or the stylus. Using your scenario to where you have made your call, you have option-phone to where you are now looking at the contact you just dialed. I hit option-phone (in my case, I have it set up to option-email) should take you right back to the contact listing screen. At least it does for me.

mail->mail->menu->right->right->down->center click is the new location for work offline, BTW. Again, sorry for the confusion