Page 32 of 62 FirstFirst ... 22272829303132333435363742 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Unfortunately, the only way to currently get started is with a 5-user starter pack. There was once a way to "work around" that requirement, but that is no longer available. We do offer a substantial non-profit discount (only have to provide a copy of your 501(c)(3)) that makes it much easier to swallow. The other option is to go through Cingular, where there is a $1500 initial maintenance/server fee and then each person you add is a single $99 charge. There would then be a $1500 per year recurring fee. In contrast, with our non-profit pricing, for a 5-user, 2-year subscription would be $1980.
    Thanks for the info Good Guy.

Listen, I spoke with the GOOD sales people today (they were extremely nice & helpful) who said that it's no problem for me to get the 1-user license seat... basically that after I'm finished using the free trial that I only need to pay for the licenses I plan to use, even if that's less than 5.

Also, nonprofits get a 20% discount on 1-year contracts ($269/user) or 40% off on 2-year contracts ($396/user).

I'm blown away by what a reasonable deal this is...2 years of GL for $198/yr. Thanks again for your help!
    this may be a stupid question, but i couldnt find the answer on good's website or in here. but here goes...

does goodlink support any other mail programs other then versamail?
    Goodlink doesn't support Versamail, it has its own email client.
  4.    #624  
    Quote Originally Posted by camatulli
    this may be a stupid question, but i couldnt find the answer on good's website or in here. but here goes...

does goodlink support any other mail programs other then versamail?
    VersaMail and GoodLink are both email clients. GoodLink is it's own email (and PIM) application.
    Ahhhh... didnt know that... thanks... was so use to using it on a blackberry and just havent dont the install on my 650 yet (and i know i dont like versimail).

thanks again
    i just discovered this but if you backed up your goodlink files to sd card, and then manually deleted all your goodlink files, you also need to delete a file called start.prc in the palm folder of your sd card.

if not, it will reinstall gdinstall and i think it also checks for the treo serial number and complain if you stick the sd card into another treo with a different serial number. it will also keep asking you if you want to re-install all your goodlink apps.

isn't there a simple uninstaller for goodlink that will completely wipe out any existence of goodlink from the treo??

i know i used uninstall manager, but like i said if you previously used the goodlink backup to sd card feature, you haven't technically uninstalled everything completely.

i had to hard reset my treo because every once in a while when someone called me, it will ring and ring and ring and won't stop unless i soft reset by poking the hole in the back. and it won't answer the call. basically the whole treo is frozen with the ringer going. i want to make sure goodlink isn't the one at fault so i hard reset and installed everything back except goodlink. it was working fine until i installed goodlink. i also had upgraded my firmware to 1.23 so not sure if there are issues with GL and 1.23?

Delete the files:
    GoodLink
    GoodPrefs
    GLInsMetaData
    GLLogDB
    Quote Originally Posted by islandsnow
    i just discovered this but if you backed up your goodlink files to sd card, and then manually deleted all your goodlink files, you also need to delete a file called start.prc in the palm folder of your sd card.

if not, it will reinstall gdinstall and i think it also checks for the treo serial number and complain if you stick the sd card into another treo with a different serial number. it will also keep asking you if you want to re-install all your goodlink apps.

isn't there a simple uninstaller for goodlink that will completely wipe out any existence of goodlink from the treo??

i know i used uninstall manager, but like i said if you previously used the goodlink backup to sd card feature, you haven't technically uninstalled everything completely.

i had to hard reset my treo because every once in a while when someone called me, it will ring and ring and ring and won't stop unless i soft reset by poking the hole in the back. and it won't answer the call. basically the whole treo is frozen with the ringer going. i want to make sure goodlink isn't the one at fault so i hard reset and installed everything back except goodlink. it was working fine until i installed goodlink. i also had upgraded my firmware to 1.23 so not sure if there are issues with GL and 1.23?
    IslandSnow,

I am using 1.21 with GL and so far running fine and rather stable with no frequent phone reset issue and hang. You may want to download a memory tool developed by one the forum member known as "memoryinfo". I notice that if the dyanmic heap (RAM) fall below 2000KB, the phone will start to go weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoSG1
    You may want to download a memory tool developed by one the forum member known as "memoryinfo". I notice that if the dyanmic heap (RAM) fall below 2000KB, the phone will start to go weird.
    Have you been able to use this tool to determine how much dynamic heap GL uses? (Like running it both before and then again after GL has been running for a while) It's my understanding that the 650 nominally has about 5MB of dynamic heap, but what I *do* know is that (in my case) GL, VeriChat, and ChatterEmail were together using too much and I was getting pretty regular resets.
    Good Guy

I spoke with TomTom's customer support to ask about the conflict with Good

They said they are aware if it but they have NO plans to address it or plan to --- I giuess they feel the affected audience is to small

Any word on your side
    I think the bigger problem is the NVFS Cache (which is different than the dynamic heap). My results are (Treo650, Sprint/CDMA 1.08 firmware)

8208K free immediately after soft reset
    1682K free after GL init+Vision login
    therefore 6.526M used by GL

I've done a fair bit of experimentation with other apps (enabling them one-by-one) to see their incremental use of NVFS Cache, but most had very little impact. Biggest ones for me were GL and Causerie. With GL and Causerie running, I'm down to 896K free and definitely in "expect an out of memory message or reset soon" territory.

Most things in the 650 are great and I still love mine, but the memory subsystem (and especially amount) in the 650 is a horrible, ridiculous flaw. I'd rather have the 600's flat SRAM memory than the 650 partitioned NVFS at this point.
  11.    #631  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhozier
    Good Guy

I spoke with TomTom's customer support to ask about the conflict with Good

They said they are aware if it but they have NO plans to address it or plan to --- I giuess they feel the affected audience is to small

Any word on your side
    I am hearing they are actually looking at GL in their development side to see if they can get it working. CS would probably not know about it. Wish I could give you a more definite answer, but that is all I have.
    Naturally, we can't expect you to share inside details... but I hope GL dev team is aware that memory footprint is a critical issue for the Treo -- as long as there isn't a presumption GL isn't the swiss army knife of Palm apps and we need install nothing else. ;-) Taking up that amount of a critical memory resource by any one app should be considered a design "challenge". I know the goal was to put Outlook on the Palm... but some of us really just want to access our email... without the crashes. ;-)
    GoodGuy - I can guess the GL developer's will classify the cache size issue a "hardware problem". I would agree with them but as a user, would definitely like to see GL change to help the situation. With a software update, I could "fix/avoid" the problem much sooner and without buying new hardware.

I would be willing to trade GL functionality for a reduced footprint, so is there any way they could offer options for a smaller Treo db - even if it meant fewer emails/contacts/memos/tasks in storage at the same time?

Hopefully P1 will fix the memory size/cache issue some day, but it won't be until the next hardware model, I don't know when that day will come, and am not confident P1 won't screw something else up.
  14.    #634  
    Believe me when I tell you, we are as flabbergasted as everyone else with the limited memory size on the Treo. You can be assured we understand the memory issue and we have actually been working with Palm on the address issues on the RAM. With that being said, you may recall the leap from 3.6 to 4.0 we added additional features, yet reduced the overall footprint of the application, albeit not by a ton. Our goal is to make the application as feature rich as possible while somehow maintaining the integrity of the device. As for taking less space, remember, only the first 2K of an email message (those over 2K) are sent to the device and when memory becomes an issue, the oldest messages on the device are removed (still in Outlook, just not on the Treo). I guess the bottom line is we know the issues folks have with the memory footprint and we are doing what we can to maintain the full functionality AND help alleviate that issue. I am not a developer, so I can't say what is/will be done, but we are trying.
    I believe you GoodGuy and did notice the 3.6->4.0 relative footprint reduction. FWIW, feel free to pass on my comments as at least one person willing to trade "x 100" 2K emails for a smaller footprint in order to workaround the memory problems.

I'd be happy with some additional fine-grained GoodLink Preferences options to control the amount of memory used by the different types of data (email, contacts, etc).
  16.    #636  
    Tom...will forward your comments on.

Thanks!
    I know there's been posts regarding this, but I don't know what application is causing the resets. Is it GoodLink or TomTom? I have emails from the TomTom tech support group stating that they are looking into it, as well as the tech support at Good stating the same thing.

Both applications must be to co-exist on my Treo.
    how much space does tomtom required? and do you have tomtom installed on the treo or on a sd card? with GL installed i only have 5 mb left on my treo.

Quote Originally Posted by 26point2
    I know there's been posts regarding this, but I don't know what application is causing the resets. Is it GoodLink or TomTom? I have emails from the TomTom tech support group stating that they are looking into it, as well as the tech support at Good stating the same thing.

Both applications must be to co-exist on my Treo.
    hello... is this "memoryinfo" tool posted in one of the messages in this thread? or somewhere else that i can download from?

Quote Originally Posted by TreoSG1
    IslandSnow,

I am using 1.21 with GL and so far running fine and rather stable with no frequent phone reset issue and hang. You may want to download a memory tool developed by one the forum member known as "memoryinfo". I notice that if the dyanmic heap (RAM) fall below 2000KB, the phone will start to go weird.
    goodguy, can you post exact information on how to completely delete/remove goodlink from a treo (without actually hard resetting)?

i've posted in another message that if you used the GL backup to sd card feature, GL installs a start.prc file on the SD card, so even if you uninstalled, or removed goodlink from the treo, it will still try to re-install all the GL apps if you stick the sd card back into the treo. and it will reinstall gdinstall back to your applications on the treo.

Delete the files:
    GoodLink
    GoodPrefs
    GLInsMetaData
    GLLogDB