Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast
    Yea, hey, you don't have to sell me, I'm a Good fanatic!

Unfortunately these days its all about the bottom dollar, even if its only $100 here and $100 there.

Thanks for trying I'll keep you posted and let you know if I can push it through.
    GoodGuy, I have several questions that I have emailed tech support about several times without any response whatsoever. I appreciate you taking the time to spend on these boards and would guess that your presence here will make a huge difference to those giving consideration to your fabulous product. ****-kissing aside, here are my questions:

* why can I not modify a calendar entry that results from a meeting invitation? the "edit" button never shows on those entries.
    * why can I not drag and drop appointments to another time slot or day, like every other calendar program?
    * why can't the Today screen scroll to include more than 3 appts?
    * why can't the agenda view of the calendar include tasks due that day (a la Beyond Contacts and other programs)?
    * why can't the monthly view actually be in a useable format? the single "box" icon if i have something scheduled that day doesn't help at all in determining anything more than I might just know when someone's birthday is!
    * why can I not edit or choose categories when making a task, appt, or contact?
    * why can I not search in anything other than email? I use tasks to log ALL of my phone messages and when I want to go back and search for a guy that I might not have in my contacts book, i can't do it without scrolling through a million completed tasks
    * why does the note field in appts and contacts get truncated to the palm limit (at least i think it's the palm limit; it's certainly less than outlook) if you guys use the "overlay" concept with the databases?
    * why can I not see a phone number filed under "other" in contacts?
    * what types of improvements are scheduled in 4.0 - are they merely security enhancements and thus not be seen by a twerp user like myself, or will I know a difference when I get it? Speaking of that, I believe you stated you thought the approximate date was a few weeks?
    * what are the differences between functionality on the 600 and 650? I am considering moving to the 650 and wanted to have a bit of an idea what was awaiting me ...
    * please please please can it take up less space? I only have about 2.1 MB free right now. what if I NEVER use Notes or something - couldn't you guys come up with a creative way to move stuff around to the SD card, a la !

All these questions aside, I REALLY REALLY do like this program - it kicks my wife's BB to the side, and I enjoy being able to "carry outlook with me."

I look forward to a long relationship with my little Good Treo buddy ...
  3.    #43  
    Wow..quite the laundry list..let's see what we can do...

* why can I not modify a calendar entry that results from a meeting invitation? the "edit" button never shows on those entries.
    If you scheduled the calendar entry, you can edit it. If someone else created it, you cannot. I know in Outlook you can edit any of them. I will forward this request on to our development group as a requested feature
    * why can I not drag and drop appointments to another time slot or day, like every other calendar program?
    Same concept as above. I will include this request to our team.
    * why can't the Today screen scroll to include more than 3 appts?
    Don't know the reason that three events was set and no scrolling was implemented. This was something I often wondered myself. Again, my email to our development group
    * why can't the agenda view of the calendar include tasks due that day (a la Beyond Contacts and other programs)?
    I know I am sounding like a broken record, but I will forward this request on as well.
    * why can't the monthly view actually be in a useable format? the single "box" icon if i have something scheduled that day doesn't help at all in determining anything more than I might just know when someone's birthday is!
    This, I think, is more a matter of screen real estate. I don't see how you could fit any text into the calendar view that would be readable.
    * why can I not edit or choose categories when making a task, appt, or contact?
    Unfortunately, we do not support Outlook categories, but it is on the drawing board. There is a cludgy workaround for contacts where you can create a public contact folder and restrict access to that folder to a single user. Not the cleanest solution in the world and pretty much useless unless you have Exchange Admin rights, but until we support categories, there is no other way.
    * why can I not search in anything other than email? I use tasks to log ALL of my phone messages and when I want to go back and search for a guy that I might not have in my contacts book, i can't do it without scrolling through a million completed tasks
    LOL..another item for my email. A workaround might be to assign a priority to your phone messages (let's say low) then sort by priority to get them all together.
    * why does the note field in appts and contacts get truncated to the palm limit (at least i think it's the palm limit; it's certainly less than outlook) if you guys use the "overlay" concept with the databases?
    That I haven't noticed, at least as it relates calendar events. I don't use the notes field (at least not that much) on contacts to see it there. Let me dig on that one.
    * why can I not see a phone number filed under "other" in contacts?
    Those field names (and associated data) are not mapped to the field names in Outlook/Exchange. In other words, they are static and I am assuming for the sake of usablity and engineering, they took the most commonly used phone number fields and chose them. Cludgy workaround: Not many people carry pagers anymore....I know, grasping here.

My email for feature requests is getting longer than my response to this post!
    * what types of improvements are scheduled in 4.0 - are they merely security enhancements and thus not be seen by a twerp user like myself, or will I know a difference when I get it? Speaking of that, I believe you stated you thought the approximate date was a few weeks?
    The key changes in 4.0 are Over-the-Air (No-IT-Touch) for provisioning and push of third party applications. The only changes you will see from a user interface standpoint are a couple of additional choices in the GL preferences screen. Other than that, no major changes from and end-user perspective.
    * what are the differences between functionality on the 600 and 650? I am considering moving to the 650 and wanted to have a bit of an idea what was awaiting me ...
    None. You will notice a sharper, brighter screen, but that has nothing to do with us. No additional features or changes
    * please please please can it take up less space? I only have about 2.1 MB free right now. what if I NEVER use Notes or something - couldn't you guys come up with a creative way to move stuff around to the SD card, a la !
    WHAT?? I HAVE NEVER HEARD THAT BEFORE!!!
    Part of the memory issue is the way the OS addresses the memory, but we take up a nice chunk. I would like to blame Palm for only putting 32MB of memory (part of the problem) or the addressing issue (part of the problem), but we do take up a nice bit. 4.0 takes about 8.6MB (from what I have seen) so it is a bit smaller. As for moving things to the SD card, it comes down to a security issue and the remote wipe feature. The Back-Up to the card is encrypted, so if the device is lost or stolen, IT departments can do remote wipe and the back-up is encrypted. Actually putting the application on the SD card would be a security risk. We may be working on a way of doing it, but, and this is my opinion and my opinion only, we may be waiting for the next generation of phones that will HAVE to have (won't they??) more RAM installed.

Thanks for your comments and questions. As I said, I will send the feedback to our development group here and who knows, you may see some of your suggestions in a future release. As for 4.0, very, VERY soon. All I can say at this point. The second we officially release it, I will post here.

Thanks!
    GoodGuy: Were you able to find anything out about the camera/vibration alert problem I mentioned? Thanks
  5.    #45  
    Sorry, luci...lost your message in the thread. Will look into it tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    This, I think, is more a matter of screen real estate. I don't see how you could fit any text into the calendar view that would be readable.
    That makes a certain amount of sense, but lots of other programs have very nice monthly views - even the Palm standard uses the "3-dot" system. Still pretty weak because of screen size and terrible resolution, but somewhat better. Or, the Beyond Contacts view that allows you to see multi-day events, etc.

LOL..another item for my email. A workaround might be to assign a priority to your phone messages (let's say low) then sort by priority to get them all together.
    This wouldn't help me (which of course is my primary concern ) because I would actually be searching for someone's name or a phrase that I typed into my notes field on the task I created

WHAT?? I HAVE NEVER HEARD THAT BEFORE!!!
    Part of the memory issue is the way the OS addresses the memory, but we take up a nice chunk. I would like to blame Palm for only putting 32MB of memory (part of the problem) or the addressing issue (part of the problem), but we do take up a nice bit. 4.0 takes about 8.6MB (from what I have seen) so it is a bit smaller. As for moving things to the SD card, it comes down to a security issue and the remote wipe feature. The Back-Up to the card is encrypted, so if the device is lost or stolen, IT departments can do remote wipe and the back-up is encrypted. Actually putting the application on the SD card would be a security risk. We may be working on a way of doing it, but, and this is my opinion and my opinion only, we may be waiting for the next generation of phones that will HAVE to have (won't they??) more RAM installed.
    LOL, thanks. I guess I do appreciate the security aspects of the program, but of course it inhibits my use! I too think that Palm is so ridiculously lame for only including the amount of RAM in the device that they do - and with the memory issues that I have read about in the 650, will the problem get worse for me if I move to that device? From what I understand, things actually take up MORE space due to the way the nonvolatile memory works ... that may mean I am screwed!

GoodGuy, thanks again for a very valuable contribution to this forum. I appreciate your time and answers very much.

m
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by lucigooch
    I have encountered a very annoying problem using Goodlink on my 650. Anytime you use the camera or videocamera, the Treo will no longer vibrate when an email is received on Good. The only way to restore the vibrate is by doing a soft reset. My IT guys have discussed this with Good an have been told that this is intentional so that pictures don't get messed up due to vibration (The phone has a similar function - however, vibration on the phone correctly restores once the camera is turned off) and further that it is intentional that you must perform a soft reset anytime that you finish using the camera to restore vibrate! Will this be fixed in 4.0 or sooner? It renders the camera useless and I find it hard to believe that Good's poisition is that it is intended that you have to remove the battery cover and reset whenever you want to snap a photo.
    I spoke with one of our SE's this morning and he was unaware of that "feature" on the 650. Then I checked with another SE and we pulled up a 650, turned on the camera and called and it still vibrated and the alert stayed on the email after leaving the camera function. Let me see if I can get with our development guys for a clearer (lol..any) answer on this one.
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by masseyc_99

LOL, thanks. I guess I do appreciate the security aspects of the program, but of course it inhibits my use! I too think that Palm is so ridiculously lame for only including the amount of RAM in the device that they do - and with the memory issues that I have read about in the 650, will the problem get worse for me if I move to that device? From what I understand, things actually take up MORE space due to the way the nonvolatile memory works ... that may mean I am screwed!
    m
    Version 4.0 has a smaller footprint (slightly less than 10MB) so it will be a little better. We are, as everyone else, awaiting a ROM update to fix the addressing problem. There are several threads here on TF that provide workarounds to free up memory. Unfortunately, at this point, that is all I have.
    Another GoodLink "feature" request...Is there any way to get Calendar reminders to "vibrate". It used to be an option but was then broken with 3.7 and above. Any thoughts on adding that feature back in?
  10.    #50  
    iJay..

Will send it on. Thanks for the input.
    Goodguy,

I have been using goodlink on my treo 650 for a couple of weeks now. I have been having problems downloading and viewing attachments - specifically .pdf attachments and .wav attachments. For some .pdf documents, I can use the "view" feature to view the .pdf document in text format. However, when I download the .pdf document onto my sd card, I am not able to view the Adobe Reader for Palm OS v3.05. When I run Adobe Reader, the .pdf document that I downloaded does not show up. In addition, sometimes .pdf documents that are attached to my emails have the same filename, and when I try to download the .pdf to my SD card, it won't let me save the file on the SD card because another file with the same name is already present. Is there a way to download an attachment by using a "save as..." feature?

My company recently instituted a Unity Voicemail System where our voicemails from work get forwarded to our emails as .wav files. I have not been able to listen to the .wav files by using the "view" feature or by downloading the .wav files. When I download the .wav file, I tried playing it in pocketunes, and pocketunes would not let me play the .wav file.

Any help with these problems would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
  12.    #52  
    Bradford..

Regarding the "save as" on PDF, I will forward the request to our development group. As for PDF reader for Palm 3.05, I spoke with an SE here and he didn't know of any issues between GoodLink and PDF reader. I am in the process of downloading and installing and will see what kind of results I have.

EDIT: As I thought, being able to view a PDF is an OS and PDF Reader issue, not GoodLink. In order to view PDF's in PDF format on the PalmOS, they have to be converted to PalmPDF format. This is done via the desktop portion of Adobe PDF for Palm. There is no way on the current PalmOS (that I know of..if I am wrong, someone please correct me) to view unconverted PDF files.

Regarding the Unity voicemail, I am not sure (I will look) but Unity may be compressing the .wav file and Pocket Tunes can only play uncompressed .wav files (as far as I can see from their website). Can pocketunes play the .wav file when it is opened by another reader?
    Last edited by GoodGuy; 02/16/2005 at 12:54 PM.
    I have a question re Good and the Treo 600:

I work for a large company that has supported only the Blackberry as a mobile device, so for the last several years that I've had a Treo, I've used it for basically everything but my work email. I use it to sync my work calendar, todo's etc. from Outlook, but do nothing with my work email. I use Snapper for personal email on the Treo.

We recently acquired a company that uses both Blackberries and Good devices - and that's about the extent I know about it - but it seems to me that since we are now supporting people using Good, I should be able to use it to access my email on my Treo.

My question is, what is the best way for me to approach our tech guys and tell them to get me connected to email via Good on my Treo? What do they need to do to make this happen? I'm asking because the tech guy that I spoke with told me it couldn't be done, and I'd like to talk to a more senior person about it, but want to know what to say. And also, is there anything else I should know about how this will impact my Treo and the way I use it? I've been trying to do some reading and figure this out on my own, but could use some help.
    Thanks for the info.

One more question:

Is there a way to dial numbers from Goodlink contacts using hard pauses or other symbols? For example, I would like to dial the phone number to retrieve my messages from my work voicemail. After dialing my work voicemail number, I need to enter in a string of numbers and # symbols. Is there a way that the string of numbers and # symbols can be dialed using Goodlink contacts? Thanks
  15.    #55  
    Sparky...

All they need is a GoodLink Server (which is free) and users. If they are integrating a company that already has GoodLink deployed, there should be know issue at all. The key issue is that you cannot have a single user/mailbox on both Blackberry and GoodLink. Outside of that, the implementation is a breeze. In accounts where we have displaced BB, the IT guys say that setting up GL vs BB was night and day with GL being a much cleaner, simpler install. There is no desktop install required, v4.0 (any day now) allows for a complete hands-off deployment from IT. All provisioning is done over the air, so all they need is a Treo within coverage of data and it can get up and running in roughly 20 minutes. No cradling required for anything. Ask them about managing all the desktop installs for the BB users. Also, ask if they are planning on upgrading to BES 4.0 because it is a MAJOR headache and time consuming. Deploying a new solution, even with purchasing new devices, will probably have a lower TCO than upgrading to BES 4.0.

Back to your original question, though, for you to continue using GL, find out how they are going to support GoodLink. Since the company you aquired already has Good licensed, it is a matter of an hour or so to set up the GoodLink Server. Period.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
    Forgive my lack of tech expertise. I'm currently saving up my cash to buy my Treo 650. I'm also very impressed with what GoodLink has to offer.

My question is what options are available for a single user without a huge upfront cost? My office is on Exchange Server 2003 with an integrated BlackBerry server. I don't think I can convince them to install GoodLink just for me unless the costs are quite low.

Any advice?
  17.    #57  
    cgachuck..

The costs for the GoodLink server is $0. The license for you would be $330 for a single year license, and $542 for a two-year. Only issue would be getting a single seat license. We can and have done it in extenuating circumstances. A single-seat license, however, is tough to get approved, so I would recommend looking around the organization for other Treo users (typically the upper "C" level folks are getting them) or find a buddy in the IT department and get them to look at GoodLink as an alternative solution to BB. We can work with your company's carrier to get demo devices for a trial (5 users) and we offer a free 30-day, no obligation trial of the software. If they look at it, they will keep it. 90% of the people who try the software end up keeping it, ESPECIALLY Blackberry shops when they see the superior functionality, ease of use and the management capabilities.

Let me know if you need any additional ammo of if your IT department wants to speak to someone for more information.
    GoodGuy- thanks so much for your informative thread here!

I just purchased the treo 650 GSM (AT&T) and my company (a fortune 500) unfortunately runs Exchange 2000. so, researching my options I naturally found that the best way to access corporate e-mail then is via Goodlink. so, found some resources using it in the company and sure enough, we have a license agreement and good server for this use.

so, IT helpdesk guys sent me the documentation with the steps to properly install everything. So, purchased (all be it expensive) yearly service agreement and looked forward to be off and running....

1st step was to install hotsynch from Palm. The step mentioned choosing the third option which was "allow third party synch applications" - ACt, goodlink, etc..... On my new version of Palm software when I got to that step, I was only given two options for synch...1. Palm desktop handles sync, or 2. Palm desktop AND ms outloook handle sync. There was no third party conduit option. I choose #2 and installed as normal - everything synced fine.

I then installed the latest Goodlink desktop 3.8.1.4 as well as the Gooddetect. Ran the gooddetect and sent the feedback to my IT helpdesk...they quickly replied saying I was activated on the server - - - Everything was going great.

Then when I went to synch via the goodlink desktop - everything was working fine until it starting looking for the exchange profiles. It found my outlook profile that i have running but didn't offer the E2K profile my IT helpdesk document said it should. The outlook profile was the only one and when I tried to advance past this point, it continually came back with a warning saying the exchange profile was not active and could not be reached....????? I've reinstalled the palm desktop three times and did a hard reset on my palm trying to find root cause of the problem to no avail. ....My IT helpdesk folks are at a loss....any idea how to help? I appreciate any response and will probably call the number you suggest in the start of this thread for support. thanks again...
  19.    #59  
    beetdigger...

Wow...I knew this would happen in this thread eventually. Unfortunately, I can't answer that question and while I could pose it to our SE group, your best bet is to call 866-7-Be-Good. Technical support is included in your subscription and they will stay with you until you are up and running.

I will send your post here along to the tech folks, but I truly think your best option is to call tech support.

Good Luck!
    GoodGuy - another enhancement request for you.

To get even better integration with the built-in apps, could you please fwd a request to have Good Contacts come up whenever an app like Call Log or Phone prompts you for whether or not you want to add a number to the Contacts db? Not sure if Good can intercept that request, but it would make it a more complete replacement for the built-in Contacts app.

There are a few other apps which do the same thing for the memopad. Obviously, it'd be nice if Good Memos responded to those calls as well.

I can give more detailed examples for both of these if you need it.
Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast