Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy
    There smoking crack! From what i understand, the RIM based devices (RIM 950/957/G100) have a ~$30 monthly data service fee from Cingular (this may be billed through Good) and the licnese fee. When all said and done, the Treo license (2.5g) and the mobitex licnese come about to be about the same per YEAR. Good's product/service is great but the billing/licensing is the worst, there were the mis info is coming from. I have been fighting some billing problems since last summer and it's yet to be resolved.

Hope this helps...

Skippy (GL User...)
    Couple of things here. We don't do any billing for the data plans/devices. That is all handled through the carrier. As for license fees, etc., it is a flat annual fee. The billing is actually quite simple: There is a 30 day evaluation. On the 30th day, the invoice for the total amount of all the subscriptions x the annual fee is issued.

Skippy, please PM me with you specific issue and I will be happy to look into it and see what I can find out.
    GoodGuy - I sent a PM your way...
    I have encountered a very annoying problem using Goodlink on my 650. Anytime you use the camera or videocamera, the Treo will no longer vibrate when an email is received on Good. The only way to restore the vibrate is by doing a soft reset. My IT guys have discussed this with Good an have been told that this is intentional so that pictures don't get messed up due to vibration (The phone has a similar function - however, vibration on the phone correctly restores once the camera is turned off) and further that it is intentional that you must perform a soft reset anytime that you finish using the camera to restore vibrate! Will this be fixed in 4.0 or sooner? It renders the camera useless and I find it hard to believe that Good's poisition is that it is intended that you have to remove the battery cover and reset whenever you want to snap a photo.
    GoodGuy:

My Sprint Treo 600 has been freezing up 3-4x/day since my new company installed the GoodLink. It just sits at the GoodLink page (it doesn't do so in mail, calendar, tasks, etc.) and then the device requires a hard reset.

Anybody else having similar issues with the Treo or other devices?

Also, question -- which smartphone devices have the best performance with GoodLink?

Thanks.
  5.    #25  
    lucigooch..

Never heard that before, but on Monday, I will check to see what the deal is and if what you IT guys heard is correct, if it has been changed in 4.0.
  6.    #26  
    ironstrauss..

I know this may not be the best answer, but have you tried having your IT group re-provision your phone? Has it ever worked properly since the install? Is anyone else within your organization having a similar issue? Check and see how much memory you have available as well. Make sure you are running version 3.7, not 3.8. Outside of that, I don't know. You may want to have your IT guys call tech support and I will check with our SE's on Monday to see if they know of any solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    ironstrauss..

I know this may not be the best answer, but have you tried having your IT group re-provision your phone? Has it ever worked properly since the install? Is anyone else within your organization having a similar issue? Check and see how much memory you have available as well. Make sure you are running version 3.7, not 3.8. Outside of that, I don't know. You may want to have your IT guys call tech support and I will check with our SE's on Monday to see if they know of any solution.
    Thanks GoodGuy - other than the lack of ability to add attachments to outgoing mail, this is the only thing I have not been completely satified with in using Good on my Treo. Any info you can provide would be great.
  8.    #28  
    Attachments are coming..hopefully end of the summer, early fall.
    lucigooch -- have you had the same freezing problem?
    -- Ironstrauss
    GoodGuy
    To answer your questions -

I had GoodLink installed a few days ago, and this problem started when it was installed.

On the client side, I have 3.0.2.19 for all my apps. Dunno on the server side.

Memory -- I have 1.3M free space. Question -- now that my contacts/tasks/notes/calendar are on GoodLink, can I delete my existing Palm Contacts/etc. databases or does the GoodLink rely on them. That could free a few more megs....

Thanks much.
    Hi GoodGuy.

Could you take a glance at the following thread comparing GoodLink to the others and add your feedback?

Thanks!

Thread

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?p=551472
  12.    #32  
    Done..thanks. Varoomba.
    Our org has probably 300+ BB's in circulation with half of those being the BB/Cell combination. We have BES and Good running in parallel with probaby 20-30 of those users being Good. Maybe, I'm not sure at this point.

My group forced them IT to get Good since we were trying to do a partnership at the time (printme). We got pretty addicted to it.

Anyhow, I only know what they are telling me. Good on my BB 957 is cheap, good on my Treo 650 is highly expensive.

Is there a simple answer I can give my IT folks to get Good on my Treo 650?

This is not a 'move from BES to Good', this is 'we have both, I run Good on my BB, they wont let me get it on my Treo 650'.

John-

Couple of things to ask:

-How much was the BES server?
    -How many BB users carry a cell phone as well as the BB because of the quality of the phone?
    -Ask them if they are going to upgrade to BES 4.0 because it is a major hassle and ALL the devices have to come in and be cradled for the upgrade.
    -Ask them how much time they take to install the BB desktop software on all the users desks. We have no desktop install.
    -Ask the BB users how nice it would be to NEVER, EVER have to cradle the device.
    -Ask your IT department how much time (which is money) would it save if they could provision the devices over-the-air and push 3rd party applications over-the-air?
    -Ask your IT department if they have ever had to call you carrier for support on devices they don't make and software they don't develop. All support is included with GL. All upgrades (major and minor) are included.
    -Ask any customer who switched from BB to Good about the installation, maintenance and management of Good and, without fail, they will say Good was simpler and faster. An example is that it takes a total of 20 minutes to have a Treo 650 up and running on Good. That is over-the-air with no cradle.

Our charges are $330 per year, with significant discount for two-year subscription. The GoodLink Server is free. The support is included. All upgrades are included. We will buyback Blackberries.

The Total Cost of Ownership of a GoodLink deployment is the same, if not less, than an equivilant BB deployment. They (IT dept) need to take us up on the 30 day free trial and compare. We never lose when they get it in their hands and compare it to BB.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    GoodGuy,

question for you. I have exchange hosting with mailstreet.com and i was thinking of getting their goodlink service which they provide. problem is they charge $330 a year and don't have 2 year discount. can i get a license directly from Good and use it with my mailstreet.com exchange provider? or am i stuck with them with no discounts?

thanks

alex
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by siberian
    Our org has probably 300+ BB's in circulation with half of those being the BB/Cell combination. We have BES and Good running in parallel with probaby 20-30 of those users being Good. Maybe, I'm not sure at this point.

My group forced them IT to get Good since we were trying to do a partnership at the time (printme). We got pretty addicted to it.

Anyhow, I only know what they are telling me. Good on my BB 957 is cheap, good on my Treo 650 is highly expensive.

Is there a simple answer I can give my IT folks to get Good on my Treo 650?

This is not a 'move from BES to Good', this is 'we have both, I run Good on my BB, they wont let me get it on my Treo 650'.

John-
    John...Couple of things to present them. If you have a BB and a cell phone (which, last I heard, about 65% of BB users do) combining the two will drastically cut down on monthly costs. Secondly, depending on how much your mobitex monthly bill is (typically around $40 a month) chances are good and unlimited data plan for a 650 is less, so the total cost will probably be about the same. A two-year GoodLink sub is only $19 and change a month. Combined with a lower data plan, the pricing works out very close.
  16.    #36  
    kalex..

Unfortunately, hosted GoodLink providers determine their pricing. $330 is the one year subscription price and, also unfortunately, you can't purchase through Good and transfer to your host. Sorry.
    Why no support for Notes?

Also, on the cost issue, just my 2 cents, but if you're trying to win over BB users, shouldn't your pricing be "obviously" better rather than "very close"?
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  18.    #38  
    Jo..

No support for Notes:

I wish I knew. We hung our hats early on the larger install base. Sure, we lose/lost some potential deals because of it and we are now working on Notes support. Next year at the earliest.

I appreciate you comment regarding cost, however, I present how I see the differences as related to cost when cost is the only objective. If you compare functionality, ease of use, ease of management, ease of maintenance and pretty much everything else OUTSIDE of existing install base, GoodLink wins hands down. If you are looking at nothing but cost, period, we win, though much closer. We don't have carriers giving away our devices for free as loss leaders. We don't make announcements of products and wait close to a year to ship them. Look, if it weren't for RIM, I wouldn't have a job. Before the last year or so, there really wasn't an alternative to the functionality of BB. RIM was first to market and has been very successful. IMHO, their decision to try to be the end-all, be all as it relates to hardware, software and operating system is horribly flawed and we, along with others, are catching up and taking market share. Good has a huge 2.5 million subscriber hump to overcome, but if I get GoodLink into a BB shop for a true, unbiased, head-to-head bake off, I win 9.9 times out of ten, regardless of cost.
    Its a personal device so no savings on the unlimited data plan. So, what I am hearing then is that its really about $220 a year.

I doubt that will go through but I'll approach my IT guy with it.

I think I'm stuck with ActiveSync. Bummer, I'm really going to miss Good. (sigh).

Thanks for the info Good Guy.

John...Couple of things to present them. If you have a BB and a cell phone (which, last I heard, about 65% of BB users do) combining the two will drastically cut down on monthly costs. Secondly, depending on how much your mobitex monthly bill is (typically around $40 a month) chances are good and unlimited data plan for a 650 is less, so the total cost will probably be about the same. A two-year GoodLink sub is only $19 and change a month. Combined with a lower data plan, the pricing works out very close.
  20.    #40  
    Siberian...as it relates to ActiveSync. One word: Security. Good offers end-to-end AES encryption and IT controlled password policies. Also, GoodLink does not open an inbound hole in your firewall, while ActiveSync does.

Also, I am assuming your company is running Exchange 2003 as that is the only version that supports ActiveSync. Also, with v4.0, we offer Zero-IT-Touch provisioning and third-party application push. From a usability standpoint, EAS does not sync deleted items from the device nor does it offer GAL look-up. Yes, free is a tough battle. The GoodLink Monitoring Portal allows your IT folks view all users and their devices and allows for remote wipe of lost/misplaced devices.

Again, bottom line: Security.

Hey, I'm trying here
Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast