Page 14 of 62 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I am (trying) to use a thinkoutside Bluetooth stowaway keyboard. It works well with DocsToGo and other non-Good programs. but, with Good, it misses keystrokes constantly. This is a real bummer since I want to use it to type long emails. Any ideas on where the problem may lie?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Do you have a contact folder labeled "personal" within Outlook? If so, it will not sync. "All" will show all contacts you have listed, including those that are in public contact folders. "Personal" as it relates to GoodLink are your Exchange contacts that reside in the folder labled "Contacts"
    Unfortunately, that doesn't hold true. All my contacts are in one folder, called Contacts. "Personal" on Goodlink is a smaller subset that I can find no relation or reason why would be considered that way.

sorry to confuse, but it confuses me!
    GG -
    Out of hundreds of BB users in our company, I am one of a handful to switch over to GoodLink. Glad I did. Glad our IT supports it. One thing I do miss from BB is the ability to delete an email on the handheld while out in the field while still retaining it on the laptop back in my office. Couple other minor inconveniences: Why, when adding a phone number (from an unrecognized incoming call), does it default the # to "Home" instead of "Work" in contacts? Aren't 99% of GoodLink users business people? And why does it save all the numbers as a 1+ prefix? Aren't the 1+ prefixes totally unnecessary for wireless? Next minor inconvenience: When viewing an email, is there a way to change that handy "Reply to All" button at the bottom of the screen to "Reply"? That would save the steps of opening menu and scrolling down to "Reply" each time.
    Quote Originally Posted by usat522
    GG -
    Couple other minor inconveniences: Why, when adding a phone number (from an unrecognized incoming call), does it default the # to "Home" instead of "Work" in contacts? Aren't 99% of GoodLink users business people?

Next minor inconvenience: When viewing an email, is there a way to change that handy "Reply to All" button at the bottom of the screen to "Reply"? That would save the steps of opening menu and scrolling down to "Reply" each time.
    GG
    Ditto on the above (good suggestions USAT)

As a matter of fact, I came on tonight to post the issue about adding a phone number, how it defaults to home and not work, it should ideally prompt you for a choice, or at least default to work.

The 'reply all' is another issue in my opinion. I think it is more likely that you need to reply to one than all, at least imho.

Another issue is with adding a contact ( i notice this when I dial a new number and after I hang up it asks me if I want to add the contact. I choose yes and start). What happens is, as I am adding it, if I get interrupted by a call or an alert or even if you change screens on your own, then the screen gets lost and everything you added is lost. It should stay open just as if were adding a contact manually. When you go back to contacts it should be there the way you left off until you either choose save or cancel.

But this is the biggest issue that I complained about last year ( I am surprised it has not been addressed as so many other issues have). It is about the rigid template in contacts. In Outlook you have 4 fields for phone numbers (home, business etc.....) and next to each is an arrow to a drop down menu to choose what you want that field header to be for, and you can use them however you like. So if I want 2 for 'business' and 1 for a 'cell' and 1 for a 'home' number, I can have it. But in Good I am stuck with the fields that you have set out. Most people I know donít even use pagers anymore, but it takes up a field. I find myself putting alternate business numbers in that field or alternate cell numbers (which can be very confusing down the road as to what it was). I then have to put a note in the notes below for future reference indicating what the home number really is, maybe it's an alternate business and what the pager is, maybe it's an alternate cell etc.... On the personal side, the contact I have in there may have 2 home numbers or a primary residence and a vacation residence, but again I am stuck with the options the way they are laid out. Also I think 3 fields for email addresses is to much. I think 2 would suffice.

This brings me to my suggestion. I think the users should have the option to tailor the fields PER CONTACT to their needs. For instance in outlook you can choose what you want in that field for that contact WITHOUT affecting the lay out for other contacts. You should be able to do the same in Good. A person can then use the 'extra' fields for their needs and change the field header to what it really is just like they can in outlook. So if they have an extra business number they can change the 'pager' to show 'business 2' just like in outlook. The choices should match those of outlook. Also you should be able to use an extra email field for a contact if needed. This way if you want 6 phone numbers and 2 emails, itís no problem, or 3 email addresses (if anyone even needs that) and 5 phone numbers then you can do that too. Again it should be PER CONTACT. You should be able to have a standard template that the user chooses and alter it on a case by case need in that contact only at that time. Again just like in outlook. Thanks.
    AC
    Quote Originally Posted by doogles
    GoodGuy--

Is there any way to verify whether an ERASE DATA request was successful?

My Treo was lost (stolen?) the other night and I sent an ERASE DATA request to it a few hours later after I got home. The "last message from Handheld" hasn't changed since about 45minutes after I lost it, so I am curious if there is any way to verify whether the request was successful.

When I call it about 1/100 calls answers, and Sprint tells me there has been some minimal data activity (So I know it's still alive/Vision works). I have a theory that whoever has it found it when I first lost it, and after I called it 100 times got sick of it and popped the battery out. Of course, this means that Goodlink is not running and unless the perp fires up Goodlink it will never try and "phone home".

Just curious,
    -jd
    JD or GG

How do you do an erase data request? Is it only done from the server side. If so there should be a way to lock it up with an sms message if needed.
    I'd like to import my blocked senders list from Outlook 2003. I've exported it to a .txt file. Is there a GoodLink file I can edit to import these 100s of addresses?
  7.    #267  
    Quote Originally Posted by RichS
    Everything else is there after the upgrade - mail, calendar, tasks. I turned off the radio while upgrading as I didn't want to download messages then have to revert to the backup and lose them, so I can't verify that synching post-upgrade worked correctly. Do the contacts get wiped out and need to be resynched after the upgrade, unlike everything else?

The contacts in the Palm Contact database get wiped out, assuming you did the hack that allows access to that database. If you made the hack to access both Palm and Good contacts, you would need to do it again after the upgrade. The contacts in Exchange should have synced with GL. Let me search and see if this has happened to anyone else.
  8.    #268  
    Quote Originally Posted by daf999999
    I am (trying) to use a thinkoutside Bluetooth stowaway keyboard. It works well with DocsToGo and other non-Good programs. but, with Good, it misses keystrokes constantly. This is a real bummer since I want to use it to type long emails. Any ideas on where the problem may lie?
    Thanks
    Man, you guys sure can come up with things. Just when I think I have heard it all...

I checked our bug tracking system and with one of our engineers and could not find any issues where that has happened. Any other "symptoms", etc?
  9.    #269  
    Quote Originally Posted by usat522
    GG -
    Out of hundreds of BB users in our company, I am one of a handful to switch over to GoodLink. Glad I did. Glad our IT supports it. One thing I do miss from BB is the ability to delete an email on the handheld while out in the field while still retaining it on the laptop back in my office.
    The deleted email is on your laptop back at the office in the Deleted folder. Remember, GoodLink mirrors Outlook, which is one of the ley features. Deleted emails, just like in Outlook, go to the Deleted folder.

Couple other minor inconveniences: Why, when adding a phone number (from an unrecognized incoming call), does it default the # to "Home" instead of "Work" in contacts? Aren't 99% of GoodLink users business people? And why does it save all the numbers as a 1+ prefix? Aren't the 1+ prefixes totally unnecessary for wireless?
    I never noticed that before and you make a valid point. Will add to my list to make that an option. As for the +1, my 600 does not do that when saving a phone number. Any other 650 users seeing that? It also may be a carrier thing.

Next minor inconvenience: When viewing an email, is there a way to change that handy "Reply to All" button at the bottom of the screen to "Reply"? That would save the steps of opening menu and scrolling down to "Reply" each time.
    I wish we would change that to 'Reply' and that has been forwarded to our folks. Until it changes, you can simply hit the 'R' key to open the reply window.
    Regarding the 1+ prefix, does unchecking the Phone->Options->Dial Preferences "Always dial +1 in front of the area code" option make the problem go away?

I don't have that checked but it's been awhile since I added a phone number that way, so don't remember what happens.
    I wish we would change that to 'Reply' and that has been forwarded to our folks. Until it changes, you can simply hit the 'R' key to open the reply window.
    That reminds me - if anyone hasn't spent the time to memorize some of the keyboard shortcuts, I encourage you to do so. I was out of the habit (on the Treo anyway) and re-discovered them a month after first installing Good. With just a few of them (like the space key to page down), you can get through email much faster than using the menu or onscreen buttons.
  12.    #272  
    Quote Originally Posted by aacnyc
    GG

Another issue is with adding a contact ( i notice this when I dial a new number and after I hang up it asks me if I want to add the contact. I choose yes and start). What happens is, as I am adding it, if I get interrupted by a call or an alert or even if you change screens on your own, then the screen gets lost and everything you added is lost. It should stay open just as if were adding a contact manually. When you go back to contacts it should be there the way you left off until you either choose save or cancel.
    Interesting point. Did not know that happened, and I agree, should be the same. Added to the list.

But this is the biggest issue that I complained about last year ( I am surprised it has not been addressed as so many other issues have). It is about the rigid template in contacts. In Outlook you have 4 fields for phone numbers (home, business etc.....) and next to each is an arrow to a drop down menu to choose what you want that field header to be for, and you can use them however you like. So if I want 2 for 'business' and 1 for a 'cell' and 1 for a 'home' number, I can have it. But in Good I am stuck with the fields that you have set out. Most people I know donít even use pagers anymore, but it takes up a field. I find myself putting alternate business numbers in that field or alternate cell numbers (which can be very confusing down the road as to what it was). I then have to put a note in the notes below for future reference indicating what the home number really is, maybe it's an alternate business and what the pager is, maybe it's an alternate cell etc.... On the personal side, the contact I have in there may have 2 home numbers or a primary residence and a vacation residence, but again I am stuck with the options the way they are laid out. Also I think 3 fields for email addresses is to much. I think 2 would suffice.
    This was addressed in an earlier post. This thread has gotten a bit unruly in trying to find information due to the size. However, that feature request/change has been submitted several times. I agree with your statement regarding 3 email addresses, etc. Have not seen where we are in relations to progress, but I can offer and entirely personal opinion as to the reasoning. The biggest ding we get is the amount of memory we use on the Treos. I tend to think that once new devices with more memory are available, many of the requested features our users have will be implemented. We are, unfortunately, at the whims of the phone manufacturers and OS developers for alot of things. I look at if very similar to the PC industry 10-15 years ago. The software was way ahead of the hardware capabilities. I think the wireless industry is in the same quandry. We could do ALOT of things but the OS and the hardware isn't there yet. With that being said, I think that the ramp up will be very quick to where the hardware will support all we want to do.

This brings me to my suggestion. I think the users should have the option to tailor the fields PER CONTACT to their needs. For instance in outlook you can choose what you want in that field for that contact WITHOUT affecting the lay out for other contacts. You should be able to do the same in Good. A person can then use the 'extra' fields for their needs and change the field header to what it really is just like they can in outlook. So if they have an extra business number they can change the 'pager' to show 'business 2' just like in outlook. The choices should match those of outlook. Also you should be able to use an extra email field for a contact if needed. This way if you want 6 phone numbers and 2 emails, itís no problem, or 3 email addresses (if anyone even needs that) and 5 phone numbers then you can do that too. Again it should be PER CONTACT. You should be able to have a standard template that the user chooses and alter it on a case by case need in that contact only at that time. Again just like in outlook. Thanks.
    AC
    Good suggestion and I have to defer to my previous answer. A combination of hardware (which includes memory, ROM, etc) and OS having the capacity to enable all we want to do. We are getting there, very quickly I might add, but there are several factors beyond our control. Believe me, we want to provide the best solution available, and IMHO, we are there now. Are there several things we could do to improve it? Absolutely and we are in that direction. All I can do is ask for patience. This is a very immature space and Good has established ourselves as the solution of choice for industry standards based devices. We are far from resting on an already great product and work diligently to make it better and easier for our users.
  13.    #273  
    Quote Originally Posted by doogles
    GoodGuy--

Is there any way to verify whether an ERASE DATA request was successful?

My Treo was lost (stolen?) the other night and I sent an ERASE DATA request to it a few hours later after I got home. The "last message from Handheld" hasn't changed since about 45minutes after I lost it, so I am curious if there is any way to verify whether the request was successful.

When I call it about 1/100 calls answers, and Sprint tells me there has been some minimal data activity (So I know it's still alive/Vision works). I have a theory that whoever has it found it when I first lost it, and after I called it 100 times got sick of it and popped the battery out. Of course, this means that Goodlink is not running and unless the perp fires up Goodlink it will never try and "phone home".

Just curious,
    -jd
    In the Good Management Console, under Users, User Details, there is a line that will show "Remote Erase Confirmed". See the attached screenshot for an example
    Attached Images Attached Images
  14.    #274  
    Quote Originally Posted by gsren
    I'd like to import my blocked senders list from Outlook 2003. I've exported it to a .txt file. Is there a GoodLink file I can edit to import these 100s of addresses?
    There is no way to import a list. Feature request added.
    The contacts in the Palm Contact database get wiped out, assuming you did the hack that allows access to that database. If you made the hack to access both Palm and Good contacts, you would need to do it again after the upgrade. The contacts in Exchange should have synced with GL. Let me search and see if this has happened to anyone else.

No hacks that I'm aware of - a plain-vanilla OS and GL configuration. When you way the contacts in Exchange "should have synced" - does that mean they need to re-populate? All of my email and schedule data was on my device as it was before upgrading, even with the radio off, so I assumed all the databases were persistent through the update. Does the Contacts database get reset and I need to turn the radio on and just wait for it to catch up?
  16.    #276  
    Rich..

The contacts from Outlook SHOULD have populated in the Good contacts just like the email and calendar. The contacts should re-sync when the radio is on. You may want to give tech support a call.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    GG
    with respect to my BT keyboard issues, only symptoms are missed keystrokes and dropping the connection. It occurs in all Good programs (email, contacts, calendar) and does not occur in all non-Good programs (palm memo, docstogo)
  18.    #278  
    daf...

Dunno. Haven't heard anything like this, but I will see if I can find out anything else
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    That reminds me - if anyone hasn't spent the time to memorize some of the keyboard shortcuts, I encourage you to do so...With just a few of them (like the space key to page down), you can get through email much faster than using the menu or onscreen buttons.
    The space key scrolls down???? Cool! I didn't know that - where can I find the other hot keys? I never got a Good manual.
    GG,

I assumed that the memory on the device was going to be an issue with my 'robust' feature requests, but wanted to check anyway. Thanks for the quick reply. If only Palm would take suggestions as openly as Good does and implement them as quickly as Good does, the treo would utilize its full potential and be as great as it could be.

Anything on the unread highlight issue from an earlier post of mine. I think we have been confusing 2 different things. I see now and remember that the yellow highlight is for priority email (btw great idea) and not for unread messages as we discussed. I dont think that good ever highlighted anything else other than the envelope for unread messages. Can the message header be bolded too and not just the envelope?

AC