1.    #1  
    Pardon my excitement, but I finally got Cingular's XPress Mail Personal Edition installed and now I'm sycned up with work and I'm STOKED. I wanted to post this fact since there has been little talk of XPress Mail (It's the solution made by Seven) If you have MS Exchange in your corporation and have a PC that runs 24/7 that you can use, it works well.
    Now, I understand there may be better solutions out there, but as a Cingular subscriber it's FREE to me. My company isn't going to pay for Goodlink and I can't get IT to open up Activesync to the internet.

The only reason I held of prior to now were:
    1) "Personal Edition" wasn't available several months ago and I couldn't talk IT in to installing the "Network Editon." Now that Personal edition is available the software runs on my PC (which is always on) and creates tunnel to Cingular XPress Mail syncing outlook completely.

2) I though I had to pay for it and give up my Media Works $20/unlimited. But I gave it a shot and it's fully working, I never had to call Cingular or change my data plan.

All you do is register, go through the download/instlal process, and you're on.

Forget about getting Movian VPN working, I don't need it now that I have this. I'm using it on my Treo 600 and will be on my Treo 650 unlocked when I finally get it.

Now I haven't had a chance to spend a lot of time with it, so I don't really a have a "review" and I'm sure there are some annoying things about it, but I'm still stoked to have what does.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I could not say it any better, so I won't! Great post!
    Treoseur
    I registered as well, and was able to use it immediately. Then I was referred to a page on Cingular's site stating it costs $39.99 (don't have the url at hand). Are you certain it's free with your Cingular account? I was afraid I'd see an extra $40 on my bill next month.

Have you had any sync problems? I found that if I inadvertantly or purposely tried to access my shared folders via the "vpn" capability, it would lock up my desktop client and I'd have to exit and restart it. A bit of a pain from on the road, but fortunately I could do it through gotomypc.com.

I'm working from memory here because I've deleted the software from my 650, so bear with me... It set up two accounts in the handheld client, by default, with separate inboxes. Have you determined why this is? I did not find it with an admittedly hurried look through the documentation. And switching between those accounts seemed to have some effect on locking up the desktop client, too.

Can you comment on any of this based on your experience?

BTW, I was using it via MediaWorks, too.

Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Now, I understand there may be better solutions out there, but as a Cingular subscriber it's FREE to me.

I though I had to pay for it and give up my Media Works $20/unlimited. But I gave it a shot and it's fully working, I never had to call Cingular or change my data plan.
  4.    #4  
    No, I can't confirm that it is in fact free. I didn't notice anything mentionthat I would start being billed when I registered. I think the $40 refers to the PDA unlimited data plan that they would normally sign you up for when you call and ask for XPress Mail. The web page that describes the product does say it cost $40 (but I think that refers to the data plan.)
    In other words, if you called and said yoiu want XPress Mail, they'd add the $40 unlimited data plan to your account and then tell you to go register and downlaod the software. I handn't even thought to try this until a guy on another thread said that a Cingular rep told him to register for it and try it but made no mention of signing up for the service.
    I did notice before I registered that it said you need to call customer service and tell them to add xpress mail to your account before registering, but I didn't, I just registered.
    So I can't garuntee that I (we) won't see $40 charge on our next bill, but I highly doubt it. I really think that XPress Mail is essentially a no-charge service (at least the personal version is) that is bundled with the $40 unlimited data plan.

For what it's worth I've logged in to my account on the Cingular web site and I don't see any changes in my service. Not to mention I think if we were signing up for something that we'd get billed for it would be a little more explicit. I guess it wouldn't hurt to call business solution and ask. I'd just say that I have media works, want to keep my plan, but wanted to try out Express mail (does it cost anythign to try personal edition?)
    But I'm content with risking the $40 charge (again I don't think it'll happen.)

No, I haven't had any problems syncing. Syncing (via the schedule or smart power) works just fine. I am, however, not getting any push notifications. When I first started using it I was getting push notification but the I switched to scheduled sync and since I switched back to push it hasn't worked. I can browse and download files from the shared folder, get my email and callendar.

Also what isn't working is the audible alert. Vibrate notification works but the tone alert doesn't, I just don't get any beeps although I have it set and I've tried many settings. I even tried uninstalling and re-installing the PDA app.

To give a mini review of this, I'd have to say it's pretty cool, but pretty basic. It does what I need which is mail and calendar.
    There are two things it doesn't do which would make it better:
    1) Be able to add/schedule calendar events (which you can not, you can only view.)
    2) Calendar alerts/reminders aren't supported.
    As a result I'm going to keep using Beyond Contacts to hotsyc my calendar so I'll still get reminders, but XPress Mail is still great for seeing the up to the minute calendar and any recent changes that were made that day.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    For what it's worth I've logged in to my account on the Cingular web site and I don't see any changes in my service. Not to mention I think if we were signing up for something that we'd get billed for it would be a little more explicit. I guess it wouldn't hurt to call business solution and ask. I'd just say that I have media works, want to keep my plan, but wanted to try out Express mail (does it cost anythign to try personal edition?)
    But I'm content with risking the $40 charge (again I don't think it'll happen.)
    I've checked my account online as well, and no change. I agree it was not explicit. I was really surprised to learn there was supposedly a monthly charge since the only way there was mention of it was when you select the optional "more info" button on the sign registration page. (That page would not load when I registered, so I just skipped it.) Also, I wouldn't want them to insist on "upgrading" my MediaWorks plan, prompted by the call.

No, I haven't had any problems syncing. Syncing (via the schedule or smart power) works just fine. I am, however, not getting any push notifications. When I first started using it I was getting push notification but the I switched to scheduled sync and since I switched back to push it hasn't worked. I can browse and download files from the shared folder, get my email and callendar.
    Maybe I'll uninstall and reinstall on my desktop and try the folder browsing again.

Also what isn't working is the audible alert. Vibrate notification works but the tone alert doesn't, I just don't get any beeps although I have it set and I've tried many settings. I even tried uninstalling and re-installing the PDA app.
    Same here.
  6.    #6  
    One final note on the cost:
    5MB - $29.99 per month
    Unlimited - $39.99 per month
    Xpress Mail Personal Edition requires a voice plan.
    So this tells me the cost is associated with the data plan, not the service. I think they just assume you aren't going to register unless they've told you to following a consultation with them setting you up for a data plan.

Regarding the accounts which I forgot to address.
    On the Treo application I only have 1 account set up, not 2. I did add a 2nd account to pull mail from my Yahoo POP mailbox just to test it out, but then deleted that account. My account is setup to work with MS Exchange.
    Setup was simply:
    Start the APP
    Enter user ID, Password, and phone number.
    It generates 2 keys and negotiates/synces with the server.

When I go to the "Accounts" menu option there is just:
    Manage...
    *Personal Edition (the name of the default account.)

Try this:
    Go to the web login:
    https://xpressmail.cingular.com/subscriber/login.stp
    Click on "Settings" (Upper right)
    Under services there should not be any listed if you're using the PC software to link up with Exchange. If you do have some listed, delete them. These are the extra accounts.
    Last edited by taylorh; 02/11/2005 at 11:34 AM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Seem to have solved the hang on desktop after file access with a firewall tweak. Since we don't run exchange server, the setup routine xpressmail put me through set up an extra pop account for some reason. I was able to delete it online, so the "extra" mailbox issue is gone.

Without exchange server, I'm actually only syncing with my pop email account. Would like to have my schedule stuff on the fly, too, but not going to happen. It's *great* to have the email push, though.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    How on earth does this replace MovianVPN (which I now have working!)? I don't see any way to establish a tunnel and then access a 10.x.x.x address through the tunnel...?

This appears to be only for mail servers that sit at a known IP and not behind a heavy firewall system.

Too bad!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize
    How on earth does this replace MovianVPN (which I now have working!)? I don't see any way to establish a tunnel and then access a 10.x.x.x address through the tunnel...?

This appears to be only for mail servers that sit at a known IP and not behind a heavy firewall system.

Too bad!
    If you're refering to my comment "Foreget about using Movian" in the first post, I didn't intend to imply that it replaces Movian.
    What I meant is that if I use XPress Mail PE I don't need a VPN client to get to email on the other side of the firewall because XPress Mail uses a redirector that sits inside the firewall.

The desktop client software logs directly in to the exchange server and establishes an outbound secure tunnel to a proxy server that Cingular runs outside the firewall. XPress Mail client uses the proxy to conect to the desktop software and access the mail through the desktop PC.
    Downside is that you need to have a desktop PC running 24/7, or convince IT to install the software on a server (ala 'Network edition' or 'corporate edition')

No, it does not allow you to VPN access (tunnel) through a firewall at all. If you want to use a mail program (like versamail, Snappermail, or chattermail) to access the mail server directly (through the firewall) then you still need Mergic (for PPTP) or Movian VPN (for IPSec).
    The XPress mail software will, however give you access to a folder on your PC to access files if you chose to enable this option.

I also have Movian running, but it's a pain to estavlish a tunnel and use my crypto key dongle to enter my password every time I want to check my email.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    i cant get it working with xp, attached to the lan. it works through a vpn from home, but it doesn't connect at the office. any thoughts?
    i can't use Xpressmail because it puts an ugly tacky signature line on every outbound e-mail. I use Sprint's Business Connection to avoid this.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky2
    i can't use Xpressmail because it puts an ugly tacky signature line on every outbound e-mail. I use Sprint's Business Connection to avoid this.
    I know, I HATE that. But ususally I'm only replying to email, so the signature gets buried way down below the origional message body, a place that really doesn't get seen. If I'm writing a new mail, I add in like 20 line feeds to push it way down off the page.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    We only have 5 Treo 650s on our campus at this time. We would like to add more, but we have had many problems using VersaMail syncing the Outlook Calendar. Usually, the phone will freeze and have to be hard boot and new profile setup and hotsync with the cable. This happens at least once a week. I have been trying to get information about the Xpress mail Personal edition. I see that you have to leave a PC on at all times for this to work. Our users turn the PC off at night, so this is a problem. Is there another way to do this?

Thanks for any information.
    Sandi
    You could leave just one PC on all the time and use that as the e-mail gateway to access other accounts. I think this is how it works.. haven't done it myself.

Or use the Xpress Mail Corporate edition (not free) and install the software on the Exchange server.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    You could leave just one PC on all the time and use that as the e-mail gateway to access other accounts. I think this is how it works.. haven't done it myself.

Or use the Xpress Mail Corporate edition (not free) and install the software on the Exchange server.
    Their "sharing" feature is misleading. It only allows you to share web access, not device access. Meaning you can invite coworkers or classmates or whatever to share your access and leave your pc connected. You will still be able to connect via your palm client, but they will not. They will be able to use the Webmail feature only, using your pc's connection. Not what I would have liked. Of course, I should point out that I use Lotus Notes, so maybe it actually shares if you are on exchange...but I doubt it.

To truly share you need the corporate edition which is something like $1000 plus $50/user/year.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  16.    #16  
    Did Cingular get rid of "XPress Mail Network Edition?" It used to be the 3rd option ("Persional", "Network", and "Enterprise.) Network edition WAS free as far as I know. You would contact Cingular and open a port in your firewall to direct link your exchange server with Cingular's Xpress Mail server. You don't actually buy and install anything, you just configure it with them. This basically eliminated the need for the desktop gateway.

I tried to talk my IT department in to this solution because it didn't cost the company anything, but our IT security folks weren't fired up about it.

This is the URL, but it doesn't seem to work:
    http://www.cingular.com/government/xpress_mail_ne
    I searched cingular's site for "XPress Mail Network Edition" http://search.cingular.com/search?si...dition&x=7&y=9 and I get matches, but I can't pull up the pages. Try calling Cingular B2B and asking them about it 866-4CWS-B2B.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Can't you uncheck the signature in settings on the handheld?

The calender notification worked once for me, but never again after that.