1.    #1  
    Ok guys, I need some info from the 600 unlock days... This looks pretty simple, but can anyone involved in figuring it out talk to me about what happened and how it worked?

I have the 650 token writer software already...
  2. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Might want to post this question in the Treo 600 HW forum, just in case there are some folks there who don't read this forum.
  3.    #3  
    Ok, to answer my own question, I hope, here is a link to where this was worked on:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ght=600+unlock

I am on the way...
    Go Shadow, GO!
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Ok, to answer my own question, I hope, here is a link to where this was worked on:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ght=600+unlock

I am on the way...
    How poetic...You just hit 650 posts!
    I find when I go to threads like these that it's like the blind leading the blind. Lots of irrelevant info and no concrete answer.

So I'm new to GSM, and wanted to learn how to unlock my phone and possibly get other phones that I wanna buy unlocked. So far between following online forums threads that lead to nowhere and calling Cingular I'm too frustrated to even bother anymore.

Life is simpler when you just use your phone to make and receive calls,..,oh, and keep exchanging phones at Cingular stores within the 30 days trial
    Phone locking is a pain but it serves an economic purpose. Screw around with unlocks long enough and the wireless service providers will drop the subsidies and we will all pay full price. This is probably a more honest way for us all to do business. It will mean that people with poor credit will not get the phones they wish because nice handsets will have loans to purchase them when priced at $500 price tags.

PS (righteous comment of the day) What comes around goes around. If you keep exchanging phones, someone will treat you this way in your life too. There is no such thing as a freebie.
  8.    #8  
    mwomwom, everything is as free as we make them... I give freely, and so do the wonderful folks who have donated various amounts or items to me... Thank you all...

As for the lock, I've found the area in question... Hopefully it shouldn't be long...
    Quote Originally Posted by mwomwom
    Phone locking is a pain but it serves an economic purpose. Screw around with unlocks long enough and the wireless service providers will drop the subsidies and we will all pay full price. This is probably a more honest way for us all to do business. It will mean that people with poor credit will not get the phones they wish because nice handsets will have loans to purchase them when priced at $500 price tags.

PS (righteous comment of the day) What comes around goes around. If you keep exchanging phones, someone will treat you this way in your life too. There is no such thing as a freebie.
    I suppose you live ultra clean too eh? Every year when you file taxes you tell uncle sam about all of your income and don't make up write offs (like charities) that you don't actually have? Hmm?

I suppose you'll tell us that if you get a bill (utility, phone, or otherwise) and they underbilled you, you'll always call right away and ask them to charge you more eh?

If you think it's wrong to unlock your phone, then don't do it, but don't tell us what to do with ours. I bought my Cingular phone with a subsidy discount and signed up for a 2 year contract. THAT is where they'll make their money. If I choose to use my phone overseas, I am still paying my monthly bill to Cingular whether I roam with them or not, so they STILL don't lose any money.

If Cingular pisses me off and I break my contract, I have to pay an early termination fee so they get their subsidy money back.

So, can you please tell me where they are losing money from me unlocking my phone again?

Personally, I think locking the phones helps them avoiding a truckload of Cingular phones from being stolen and sold on the open market for use on other carriers.

Bottom line, don't come in here preaching your personal views and voicing your assumptions about what kind of people we are. If you'd like to express your concern on this topic, open your own thread and let people beat the crap out of you all day.

So, shall we get back on topic?

BTW, Thanks for all your work Shadowmite!
    Quote Originally Posted by mwomwom

While I don't disagree with the gist of what you're saying, subsidies are compensated for by contracts and cancellation fees, not the phone locking. Locking IMO just adds gravy to the carriers; people staying with them after their contracts expire because they could keep using their existing phones.

One thing I should say is that you gotta love T-Mobile, they give you your unlock code if you've been with them a month or two (I forget which). I have had 2 Treo's unlocked with them just by asking. That's why I'll be using my unlocked 650 with them when I receive it.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    Wow this is awesome.