Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here is an interesting tidbit - And goodluck trying to get any info from Palmone!

My Corp. server is installing Blackberry on the main server -Time and time again I have seen inquiries by others as to when the impending "Blackberry Connect for Palm" was going to be available... Well, I had spent an hour on the phone with the "Blackberry" people and guess what... It is available, only through Palm, and Palm is sitting on it! Blackberry assured me it is fully operational and has no clue as to why Palm will not release it - Go figure!

I need it, yet I get thrown into Palms wonderful loop which ends up putting me in the Palm Store each time! Does anyone have a contact person at Palm where an actual inquirery can be made as to when "Blackberry Connect for Palm" will be released by Palm?!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomMacD
    Here is an interesting tidbit - And goodluck trying to get any info from Palmone!

My Corp. server is installing Blackberry on the main server -Time and time again I have seen inquiries by others as to when the impending "Blackberry Connect for Palm" was going to be available... Well, I had spent an hour on the phone with the "Blackberry" people and guess what... It is available, only through Palm, and Palm is sitting on it! Blackberry assured me it is fully operational and has no clue as to why Palm will not release it - Go figure!

I need it, yet I get thrown into Palms wonderful loop which ends up putting me in the Palm Store each time! Does anyone have a contact person at Palm where an actual inquirery can be made as to when "Blackberry Connect for Palm" will be released by Palm?!!!

First of all, there is NO "Palm"! It no longer exists as a single entity.

You have to specify whether you are referring to PalmSource or PalmOne. Since it was PalmSource which actually lisenced the BB Connect client for PalmOS, it would seem logical that it would be PalmSource that provided the app...unless of course they've given it to the lisencees like PalmOne. If so, then it would be up to the lisencess like PalmOne to release it to end users or their wireless partners.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    First of all, there is NO "Palm"! It no longer exists as a single entity.

You have to specify whether you are referring to PalmSource or PalmOne. Since it was PalmSource which actually lisenced the BB Connect client for PalmOS, it would seem logical that it would be PalmSource that provided the app...unless of course they've given it to the lisencees like PalmOne. If so, then it would be up to the lisencess like PalmOne to release it to end users or their wireless partners.
    Ah - So true, but as an avid researcher such as yourself probably already knows... Both PalmSource and PalmOne put out notices and articles back in Sept. 04 as to the impending availability of "Blackberry Connect for Palm"... Now there was speculation by others as to it being dropped by both because of the legal problems between RIM and GOOD, but those problems have been long resolved - Soooooooo, the question remains... WHERE IS "BLACKBERRY CONNECT FOR PALM"? It's time that either PalmSource or PalmOne make some sort of announcement as to whether it will or will not be released - I can get neither to respond to my inquiries, yet Blackberry will tell you both are licensed for it!
    As I have said before, with RIM now directly targetting the phone manufacturers with the release of the 7100, what incentive do the phone folks have to put a competiting product on their devices? Especially one (in BBC) that will only do email, nothing else. Sure, the customers want it, but when they see BBC only has limited functionality, they may think "Hmmm...I see that RIM has this new phone out that does all of what I want. My company already has BES in place, so I think I will ditch this Treo (or Samsung or whatever) and get a device that does it all." Oh, there will be the loyal and the Anti-RIM folks, but I tend to think that may be part of the reason you are seeing a quash on the release bf BBC. Believe me, I am hanging my hat on folks tiring of the wait. We get win-backs from RIM everyday for several reasons, the primary being the Blackberry is either A) an extremely powerful pager or B) a very limited phone.
    Additionally (my 2 cents):

PalmOne now caters to the carriers as all handset makers do. The carriers want to sell their services (Sprint Biz Connect, etc.) By making a BES client available it cuts into carrier profits.

I'm not sure what is meant by BBC only doing email. I'd think it could/would do calendar and contacts as well. To that end, this product would compete directly against Palm partners (Extended Systems, Intellisync, etc.)

So now you have the carriers and partners NOT wanting the BBC released. Customers want it but in the end it isn't like customers don't have other options. The down side is that many companies already have BES in place and refuse to change or add another solution to support a Palm (or PPC) device.

Personally I'm pissed off beyond belief at Palm but I understand their situation. Unfortunately it will result in my company dropping the Treos in favor of crappy RIM devices. Too bad for Palm. We have about 150+ RIM BB phones (Nextel, Verizon & soon Cingular) in service. Coulda been Treos but no BBC.
    Actually, if you look at the info on RIM's page, it only talks about email and possibly calendaring, nothing else (http://www.blackberry.com/products/l...ct/index.shtml).

If your company already has Treo's deployed, they should look at GoodLink (cheap pitch, here) does the same (and more) as Blackberry. We will even buy back the Blackberries
    maybe I misread but I saw:
    Wireless email reconciliation
    Remote address book look-up
    Wireless calendar synchronization

That does what my extended systems does now. Now what's the scoop on buying back BlackBerries? 150+ of them? Also we use Lotus Notes. Can Good deal with that?
    Email, calendar (as I said), remote address look-up, to me, sounds like remote access to Global Address List.

Unfortunately, we don't support Notes. I know, I know.....
    Holy cr*p,

I am just reading a magazine and am lookng at an add for a Siemens SK65 - a non-RIM phone with BLACKBERRY! Included is email and calendaring.

Please PalmONE - Pretty please?????? BBC for Treo's!!!!!

(no offence to you product there, GoodGuy but we're a company of BB's and I'm a loner with a Treo)
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
    No offense taken. I am a realist. I know the hurdle we have to overcome with RIM. Hell, 2.5 million users is a BIG hurdle. BTW, that phone, with BB Built In, is only available in the UK

http://www.blackberry.com/products/l.../siemens.shtml
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Email, calendar (as I said), remote address look-up, to me, sounds like remote access to Global Address List.

Unfortunately, we don't support Notes. I know, I know.....
    Is it necessary to hijack EVERY thread that mentions Blackberry?

Nothing against your product, but I really think you need to accept that there are Treo owners who require Blackberry in order to connect to their company, due to either an existeng BES infrastructure and/or using Lotus Notes (which you've chosen to not support) instead of Exchange. Additionally, not all users get to make those choices in their corporate environment.

Since Blackberry is used at my company, along with Notes....bring on the BBC client!!!
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    I don't mean to hijack threads that mention BBC. My first post in this thread was my opinion as to why BBC has not come out in almost a year since the announcement. My point is there is an alternative to BB and BBC. True, Notes and Groupwise installations, we don't support. However, even with an existing BES infrastructure, we (and others such as Intellisync, Seven, XTND, etc) can run in conjunction with BES. Typically, the end-users, not IT, drive the direction of wireless email strategy. Yes, IT has to sign off, but when the C-level execs get their new, cool phones and want to get their email, right now, BBC is not an option.
    I would also question ANYthing RIM tells you - of COURSE they're going to say that palmOne is the one who's holding things up! That way, they can point the finger at someone else to deliver, when they themselves are the ones who created the demand in the first place. What a deal (and I've said this before, as this same thing comes up time over time) - they announce something, get people all worked up about it, drag their feet, slow down and paralyze the market by enticing people to wait, and then when things start to get dicey, point the finger at another party, and say 'it's up to THOSE guys to deliver; gripe at them'. You gotta admire the huevos that takes, if nothing else.
    Bottom line - you can't get BB Connect right now, anywhere in the Americas, and I maintain that it's really RIM who's slow boating this thing, trying to keep folks from buying Good, or Intellisync, or anything else. After all - if you control the server, you really control the enterprise, as so many of us have found. RIM has convinced the IT manager that something will be coming, eventually, that will allow other devices to hook in to the BES - so then, the IT manager waits. And waits. Users start to get hacked. RIM gets calls, and says - hey, it's up to Palm to deliver. (meanwhile the RIM folks are rubbing their hands with glee, cackling, saying to themselves 'yep, we saved another BES from being displaced by something else - good job lads. Let's go get a scotch, eh?').
    Amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    I would also question ANYthing RIM tells you - of COURSE they're going to say that palmOne is the one who's holding things up!
    Perhaps but then again, it could be PalmOne. I was thinking that if Seimens have released a phone with BBC, then it must be available to P1 as well. And if it is, and if P1 decided to release it, what would happen to all the current major players in the Palm eMail business (Agendus, BC, Good, etc).

Is it possible that P1 are sitting on BBC because of pressure from other companies, or because of simple contractual obligations?

-S
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
    i'm confused- or at least a bit puzzled. i've been tasked with finding out about blackberry support on the treos. now we use lotus notes- so goodlink is out- i did pilot goodlink at my previous employer and it was great. anyway- RIM has been refering to a JavaConnect client- a blackberry client that runs on J2ME. You all have been referring to BlackberryConnect for Palm- which i would think runs straight on palm os. Now i would think that since all a blackberry device is just a java virtual machine- it would make sense they'd release a client with support for any java virtual machine. Also- i've been told to call sprint about it, because apparently RIM is pointing the finger at the carriers as well! That part doesn't make much sense to me. Either way- my guess is that the client will be released when they release the Java VM for the treo 650 to end users.

-edit-
    WHOA i just realized they released the java VM!!!
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Um, it's actually PalmSource that's working on Blackberry Connect for Palm OS. PalmOne is waiting on PSRC....
    Kenundrum - you said:
    Now i would think that since all a blackberry device is just a java virtual machine- it would make sense they'd release a client with support for any java virtual machine.

I would question the statement that a BB device is just a JVM. If that's so, then you should be able to run any java app on their devices, without recoding. My understanding (could be wrong) is that they just use a small amount of java (mainly so they can spout their 'open platform capability'), and that you really can't just toss a Java app on a BB handheld and hope that it will run.
    If anyone has any more scoop on this, I'd be curious to know the bottom line on this java item.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    just another thing to put off to entice you to the next treo
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gkaatz
    Now what's the scoop on buying back BlackBerries?
    GoodGuy, can you answer this? We have almost 400 BlackBerry devices deployed. What kind of buy back can we get for these currently deployed devices(Assuming the user wants to switch.) Also, what kind of bulk pricing can we get on Treo 650's?

Feel free to PM me.
    nrosser I believe RIM rewrote the entire app suite to be Java/MIDP. The problem is that I believe you need their installer to put apps on the device. I don't think they support MIDP 2.0 / OTA installs. Also, at the time they did the conversion to a Java "OS" there was no MIDP 2 (and associated PDA Package) so interfacing with the native address book was a custom / non-standard job.

In *theory* if RIM did write MIDP compliant code it should port instantly to the JVM that IBM wrote for Palm. My guess is there are 2 problems: (1) They had custom libs to access their PDA apps and (2) given that OS 5 isn't true multitasking the JVM runs in the foreground. THis means that instead of having a "background" synch or having email pop up like an SMS you'd probably need to have the "mail app" running all the time...and it would stop running if you switched to the Contacts list for example.

To address this I believe (no insider info here just a guess) that P1 is rewriting the app as a Palm Native / OS5 app so that it can be easily moved to Cobalt devices and also provide the slick look/feel/interaction that Palm users would expect. Java doesn't allow for launching a JPG viewer for example - there is no hook into the OS from MIDP.

Now, as for why this is taking so long...two words: Carriers, Partners.
    Sprint BC and the other carrier based email services along with partners like XTND I'm sure don't want to see Palm release a BBC product. Unfortunately for P1 to sell handsets they need to make the carriers happy and competing with partners is distasteful. When Palm starts losing customers due to the lack of BBC client, you'll see it roll out! Unfortunately my company is leading the RIM charge. We are replacing all Treos with RIMs as the Treos break. Equally unfortunate is the fact that the defect rate on the 600 is like 30% so most Treos will die of their own accord within 6-12 months.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast