1.    #1  
    I posted this in the software forum, too, but anyone using a GoType! or Stowaway, or any other keyboard for your Visor or Palm really should take a look at this incredible software for Palm OS. I've been using QED for nine months, and stumbled across "pedit" and I love it!!! I feel like I've been using Windows Notepad for the last year and just discovered Word 97! If you are looking for the best word processor, forget about SmartDoc (I tried this one), QED (I own this one), TakeNote!--anything. Check out pedit at http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~nevai/palm/

Read the reviews. Try it! It has over 200 features! And it is optimized for GoType! or Stowaway! It is a FULL-FLEDGED WORD PROCESSOR for the Palm/Visor. Why bother with all of those other skeleton apps?

A new beta is available now also that supposed to make ex/importing docs to desktop effortless. BTW, you can write WHOLE NOVELS on your PDA with this.

Brad

P.S. No, I'm not affiliated at all with this product and not trying to make a buck. Just a grad student who relies on his Palm for everything in life and found the Holy Grail of apps for the Palm that gives me absolutely no reason to buy a laptop computer! I just believe in passing along a good word that might help someone else. pedit is that good. And it's solid. My only complaint is that the documentation needs to be better written, but that is on his to do list.
    From what i understand, pedit uses your current memopad database, so that when you sync, anything you've typed in pedit shows up on your memo list on the desktop (that way it's easy to get it into a word processor for formating). There is another version called pedit32 that breaks the 4kb memory wall so that you can type much larger 'memos' (32kb, hence the name). However, inorder to accomplish this, it must set up a new database on your visor. because it does this, your 'memo' won't show up in the desktop application you're using.
    which begs the question: how do i get my 'memo' into a word processor from the visor?

from what i understand there is a file saved in your backup folder which you can open in a text editor (it has a .pdb file name but behaves like a .txt when opened on your desktop) I'm not positive on this so somebody may want to check it out.

if they can make it alittle easier to sync whatever i've typed with my desktop, i may use it...until then....
    I don't think this will be replacing QeD on my Visor. While a different word processor for DOC format files would be nice -- preferably one without the goofy interface QeD uses -- I don't see much use for one that will just edit memos.
    What else can it do? You mentioned something about 200 features. Can it make underlined/bold/italic words? Can is change the font size of selections of text? Those are really the only things that I wish were in SmartDoc. Maybe there are a couple more which I can't think of right now, but that is pretty much it. SmartDoc seems quite adequate for now.
  5.    #5  
    In answer to some of your questions, here is the latest email I received from the programmer:

Dear peditors:

I am about to release latest beta [2.06b], and it is time for me to ask those
    of you who have not signed up for the export/import beta testing to do so.

2.0.6b is a MAJOR upgrade to both pedits. It will be released as version 3.00.

I am sincerely grateful to the over 100 peditors who wrote me regarding the
    implementation of the export/import feature.

In short, in addition to the zillions of new features, we have export/import
    of DOC files and export between pedit and pedit32 so that the communication
    between your memos [no matter how large - well, almost] and your desktop is
    no longer a wishful thinking.

Plus full integration of the SkyIsLimit feature with the memo segmentation
    idea [thanks, Margret].

Also, a buttonShifted 'V' [= '$"] brings up the segmentSwitcher which is
    FULLY integrated with the memoSwitcher. You can jump back and forth between
    different chapters of a book [and, later, send it to the desktop via a doc
    import job].

Exporting and importing should be very SMART, and if it isn't then please let
    me know. Here "smart" means that category names should be preserved [between
    pedits], if possible, and that memos are broken up into segments and
    re-assembled autoMagically.

I believe that you will be able to use pedit32 [or even pedit] to write your
    great American [or whatever] novel [or whatever] spanning hundreds [if not
    thousands] of pages and then move it between pedit and the desktop flawlessly
    and almost effortlessly. Of course, it will take a little processor crunching
    to convert "War and Peace" to a pedit memo.

I am looking forward to hearing for the new beta applicants.

Let me finish by becoming a little arrogant for one single sentence but I
    feel like I can't pass up this opportunity to declare: good-bye Memo Pad,
    Memo PLUS, Smart Doc, QED, and TakeNote! - welcome to pedit and pedit32. OK,
    arrogance is off again.

Best regards, Paul

P.S. This may be the right time for those who do not have both pedit and
    pedit32 to get the missing one to your palm.

Paul Nevai nevai@math.ohio-state.edu
    Department of Mathematics http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~nevai/
    The Ohio State University http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~jat/
    231 West Eighteenth Avenue http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~nevai/palm/
    Columbus, Ohio 43210-1174 1-614-292-5310 (Office/Answering Device)
    The United States of America 1-614-292-1479 (Math Dept Fax)

6.    #6  
    pedit is a FULL featured WORD PROCESSOR that does more than just edit memos. Also, release 3.0, shortly due out, will support DOC files as well as export/import documents to the desktop. Files can be unlimited in size and keyboard support is excellent. Give it a try.

Brad

Originally posted by John Nowak:
    I don't think this will be replacing QeD on my Visor. While a different word processor for DOC format files would be nice -- preferably one without the goofy interface QeD uses -- I don't see much use for one that will just edit memos.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by lennonhead:
    What else can it do? You mentioned something about 200 features. Can it make underlined/bold/italic words? Can is change the font size of selections of text? Those are really the only things that I wish were in SmartDoc. Maybe there are a couple more which I can't think of right now, but that is pretty much it. SmartDoc seems quite adequate for now.
    No, it can't make format changes to selected text within a document--don't know if that's possible on a Palm, yet. However, pedit does have many more different fonts than any other editor on the market.

Also if you use Microsoft Word, you can get formatting from your docs in Palm by putting formatting characters before and after the text and then running Format, Autoformat. For example, an underline before and after selected text will italicize it. An asterisk before and after selected text will bold it.

SmartDoc, QED, et al ARE adequate. Very nice, fact. However, I think you will be blown away at how feature rich pedit is and that there really is a full-featured word-processor (not just a memo editor on steroids) for the Palm platform.

Brad

That does sound good -- when 3.0 is available, I'll certainly give it a look.
    Use RichReader if you need formatting, styles etc. http://www.erols.com/arenakm/palm/RichReader.html

Originally posted by lennonhead:
    [This message has been edited by yoko (edited 05-26-2000).]

[This message has been edited by yoko (edited 05-26-2000).]
    The RichReader is just that...a reader. Maybe someday they will come out with the RichWriter.

tyler
    Originally posted by John Nowak:
    That does sound good -- when 3.0 is available, I'll certainly give it a look.
    Try it today! I use memopad extensively and when I tried pedit I was amazed at how much it did so right! The only drawback on pedit32 for me was that I didn't need something that only made documents bigger. After hearing about the update I paid my money for the combo and Paul immediately sent me the url to download the latest STABLE beta of the version that will be released as ver 3. It is everything I have been looking for. Goodbye SmartDoc. The competitors are going to have to work hard to catch up with pedit and pedit32, because right now, none of them are close!

I am not affiliated with pedit in any way. I'm just a very satisfied customer!

BTW - read through the entire "readme" file on pedit. It's educational and fun!

[This message has been edited by VoxDei (edited 05-26-2000).]
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by VoxDei:
    Try it today! I use memopad extensively and when I tried pedit I was amazed at how much it did so right! The only drawback on pedit32 for me was that I didn't need something that only made documents bigger.
    Yes, and the beauty of pedit (not pedit32) is that you can use it instead of Memopad. And since it uses Memopad's DB, it syncs seemlessly to your desktop. And if you have a memo larger than 4k, it can automatically daisychain it to another memo and splice it all together when you export to pedit32 or as a DOC file. Superb!

After hearing about the update I paid my money for the combo and Paul immediately sent me the url to download the latest STABLE beta of the version that will be released as ver 3.
    Yes, I have found Paul to be extremely service-oriented. And yes, the beta is stable.

It is everything I have been looking for. Goodbye SmartDoc. The competitors are going to have to work hard to catch up with pedit and pedit32, because right now, none of them are close!
    I quite agree. And I've been looking for a long time. And I've tried 'em all for a long time. With mixed results and feelings. pedit, however is the best, period. SPREAD THE NEWS. Maybe we can help some other users from having to look as hard as I have had to for a Palm OS word processor.

BTW - read through the entire "readme" file on pedit. It's educational and fun!
    Paul has a very wry sense of humor that he uses to spice up everything. It does make it fun.

[This message has been edited by bwoods (edited 05-27-2000).]