1.    #1  
    I don't have a t650 yet but plan on getting one very soon.

I have a 17" powerbook 1.5ghz and I would like to connect to the internet using my treo 650..... which I know can be done.... but can I use bluetooth for it?

Thanks ahead of time
    Ben
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Yes-please search these forums for threads on BT DUN and Mac setup (look in Treo 650 forum and Bluetooth forum).
  4.    #4  
    I've seen the threads about DUN. But I don't know what it stands for....can you help me out?
    Is BT connection faster than a wired connection?
    Quote Originally Posted by tulz43
    I've seen the threads about DUN. But I don't know what it stands for....can you help me out?
    DUN stands for Dial-Up Networking. It is the protocol that you must enable on your phone. Your laptop will then be able to connect to the internet using your phone as a Bluetooth modem.

The following link is to a very nicely-written, step-by-step guide on how to set it up and use it...

http://vocaro.com/trevor/treo-dun/
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the help guys. Now I just have to figure out how to terminate my at&t contract and get a cingular with unlimited data etc...

How fast is bluetooth? Would I notice a difference connecting using bluetooth or a hardwire?
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Is BT connection faster than a wired connection?
    Well, if everything works smoothly and the Treo BT communicates perfectly with the laptop BT --------- Bluetooth 1.1 spec for max throughput is around 750kbps? = around 90kB/s max? Dialup connection - 56kbps aka 7kB/s.

I doubt anyone is gonna get the full 750k speed outta the bluetooth on the Treo tho.

After looking at the Mac page, it looks like that guy had a connection of 230400bps which would be around 30kB/sec which is pretty good!

Bluetooth 2-EDR is supposed to be capable of 2.1Mbps (which would be around 260kB/s -- hopefully the cell networks will be fast enough to accomodate that when a Treo with this bluetooth arrives)
    Last edited by Joebar; 02/09/2005 at 08:26 PM.
    My typical BT DUN on Sprint CDMA 1XRTT is around 110 kbps, as measured by mobile speed tests. A straight vision connection and speed test on my PPC6601 goes to the neighborhood of 140 kbps.

If Sprint implements EVDO this year I can have pissing contests with the Verizon guys
    kbps = kilobits/s
    Do you mean kilobytes? kB/s?
    Quote Originally Posted by tulz43
    Thanks for the help guys. Now I just have to figure out how to terminate my at&t contract and get a cingular with unlimited data etc...

How fast is bluetooth? Would I notice a difference connecting using bluetooth or a hardwire?
    You get a new contract with Cingular (2 year unfortunately). I switched over from ATT to Cingular last Nov. and it took about 15 minutes. I walked into the store, told them I wanted to switch over, I picked out one of the free phones, got my new SIM card, signed some paperwork, left the store, popped the SIM into my old phone (Nokia 6820) and it just worked. I did have to call up customer service a few times to get the correct settings for MEdia Works/Net (GPRS/EDGE) and SMS/MMS.

As for DUN and Bluetooth. Are you able to use the data services with a laptop via BT / USB cable? Or are you literally using it as a modem and dialing up to an ISP?