Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy650
    Don't your cards use a different type of cell configuration? Something like single cell as opposed to multi-cell? I thought that I read that somewhere and also that this increases the speed of the card.

Bigboy,

Yes, what you're talking about is SLC (Single Level Cell) which holds 1 bit per cell. Then there is MLC (Multi level cell) which holds 2 bits per cell by using multiple voltage levels as the triggers. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. The advantage to MLC is obviously that you can have more memory for less IC-> cheaper. The price you pay is slower performance and much reduced lifetime compared to SLC. Kingston, for example sell MLC for their standard line, and SLC for their high end. ATP currently only uses SLC for our complete lineup including MMC.

-Jeff
    www.atpinc.com
    jwh@us.atpinc.com
    @Zboater

from what i've read so far, there's no card reader available that's compatible with the extreme III. just wondering what you're doing to move files to and fro - softick?
    Quote Originally Posted by viper_
    @Zboater

from what i've read so far, there's no card reader available that's compatible with the extreme III. just wondering what you're doing to move files to and fro - softick?

Even though the extreme III is following the SD1.1 spec, it is still backwards compatible with SD1.01 devices. This means that any regular SD device including readers would be able to use the card, just not at the high speed.

-Jeff
    www.atpinc.com
    jwh@us.atpinc.com
    Quote Originally Posted by viper_
    @Zboater

I am using the same SD card reader I have been using for a while - a PC card with an SD card slot that plugs into my laptop.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    thanx guys... so that's one more thing added to the list

just one last question though... i actually want to go for a 2GB card (there's just no end to greed, is there ), but i'm not sure how it's gonna perform on the treo. i mean on a card so big is it going to take more time finding and opening things... say like apps stored on the card. i know it sounds stupid and in theory that shouldn't be the case, but still wanna be sure. so when r they gonna come up with an extreme III 2GB ?
    lady at ecost said that they would be getting the 2gb II ultra's in on 23rd march. my sd slot is growing weary of the lousy but free 128.
    I just purchased an ATP 1 GB SD Card Pro for use with my Treo 650. I ran VFSMark to compare its performance to that of my speedy 256 MB Panasonic card. Overall, the Panasonic scored a 485, and the ATP a 627. But what I found surprising is the scores for the *write* test:

The Panasonic scored a 135 ... and the ATP a measly 57.

Do you have any idea why the ATP would score so badly?
    I just got one Sat. at Costco...$72
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    The Sandisk 1G Ultra II I ordered at onsale.com came in last week. It was on back order for about 2 weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus
    I just purchased an ATP 1 GB SD Card Pro for use with my Treo 650. I ran VFSMark to compare its performance to that of my speedy 256 MB Panasonic card. Overall, the Panasonic scored a 485, and the ATP a 627. But what I found surprising is the scores for the *write* test:

I did the samething with various so called "high speed" cards, and so far I have not come across any cards that beat the write speed of Panasonics. Only one that came close was 256 Lexar 32X. But 1GB Lexar 32X is just crappy as all the rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus

That's because all SD cards are not created equal, even if their VFS mark speeds are similar. Write speed makes a BIG difference, especially when taking pictures and videos directly to the card. Read speed is also important, but for MP3 playing its not as critical to have an ultra high speed card. The Sandisk Ultra II gave me an even measlier 47, while my Extreme III gave me 221%, with both having similar VFSMark numbers. The difference between these cards is NIGHT and DAY, especially when doing checkpoint backups to the card.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    That's because all SD cards are not created equal, even if their VFS mark speeds are similar. Write speed makes a BIG difference, especially when taking pictures and videos directly to the card. Read speed is also important, but for MP3 playing its not as critical to have an ultra high speed card. The Sandisk Ultra II gave me an even measlier 47, while my Extreme III gave me 221%, with both having similar VFSMark numbers. The difference between these cards is NIGHT and DAY, especially when doing checkpoint backups to the card.
    Exactly. I've done some more testing at ATP's request. I'm finding that VFSMark is not a reliable indicator of throughput: for example, if I copy a 5 MB file from the Treo 650's "RAM" to the ATP card, it only takes 2-3 seconds, whereas it takes 8 seconds with the Panasonic. Go figure. When using BackupMan to copy 131 files, 5.3 MB, from RAM to the SD card, the cards are neck and neck: about 15 seconds each.

I wonder whether VFSMark is writing many small files for its write test or a couple of large ones?
    Last edited by odysseus; 03/22/2005 at 01:45 AM.
    Hi thanks for the updates from everyone! We are good pals with PalmOne, and under testing with PalmOne's own benchmarking proggie our write speed is actually very fast. Also just as odysseus has observed, real world file transfers show a different story from VFSmark. I can assure you that quite a bit of testing is done particularly between ATP cards and PalmOne devices... It seems that in this case, its a strange issue between VFSmark and the ATP controller.....

-Jeff
    www.atpinc.com
    jwh@us.atpinc.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12