Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My office has an exchange server and I'd like my mail to go to my phone (650) when I'm out. I talked to one of the CS reps and they were completely confused and didn't know anything about it. So, now I'm lost.

He had me install Xpressmail. Is that what I use to get my mail? I installed it but don't know where to go from here. I thought there was another program?? Am I making this too difficult???

Thanks.
  2.    #2  
    Whoa! With xpress mail I have to sign on each time to get my mail!!
    I just want to get my mail as it comes in like with a Blackberry. Help!
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    If your office has an outward facing POP or IMAP server then you're in business and can install SnapperMail or (my recommendation for IMAP) ChatterEmail. If not ... you're hosed. ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by ratsey
    If not ... you're hosed. ;-)
    Not true. If you signed up for the Vision Professional Pack (or are willing to change your Vision plan to the Professional pack), then you get Sprint Business Connection Personal Edition for free. You can get it as an add-on as well. All you have to do is install the client to a machine (your desktop, if you can leave it on overnight, otherwise a server) that has access to your Exchange servers, and your email and calendar will be forwarded to your phone.

This will give you Blackberry-like functionality. Your email and calendar will be pushed to your phone, you just can't schedule meetings via the Biz Conn calendar on your phone. You can even set up a "shared" directory on your PC and directly get to that folder from your Treo. That's nice if you store documents someplace that you might need while away from your desk and don't want to store in RAM or on the SD card.

My only complaint with it, besides not being able to schedule meetings via the calendar, is that it hijacks your calendar and email hard buttons, and there's nothing you can do to remap them.
  5.    #5  
    I forgot to mention I signed up for Cingular. But I assume something similar to what you are talking about is available.

My laptop isn't always on so I guess I'll have to call the IT dudes to see if they'll install the software.
    Quote Originally Posted by exander
    I forgot to mention I signed up for Cingular. But I assume something similar to what you are talking about is available.

My laptop isn't always on so I guess I'll have to call the IT dudes to see if they'll install the software.
    Yeah, sorry, my bad. I assumed you had Sprint, which obviously isn't true. We were the only game in town until recently.....

With Biz Conn, the client software is pretty small, and it's very unobtrusive. I'm an admin on a few servers so I just stuck it on a development server that only gets rebooted about once a month, so it's almost always available.

Check with Cingular and see if they have something similar before you go down the 3rd party route that requires a substantial fee, like Snapper.
    Also see if your IT guys can utilize the Exchange Activesync feature that the Treo650 is designed to work with. Note that you can only get your email and calendar updated realtime from the Exchange server (oh and you need to be running Exchange 2003). If you are running anything older, look into Goodlink software at www.good.com.
  8.    #8  
    Wait a sec! So, I have a few choices I gather?
    1. I could install the express mail client on the server and get mail that way; or
    2. I could use Exchange Activesync. What is that? Is it something I need to get?

Sorry, I just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I call IT and they say, "You wanna do what!!?!?!?!"

I appreciate your help.
  9.    #9  
    Ok, we are running Exchange 2003 with Activesync. What do I do now?
    Here you go:

http://www.palmone.com/us/products/s...esync-faqs.epl

Bear in mind, it will only sync email and limited calendar functionality
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Here you go:

http://www.palmone.com/us/products/s...esync-faqs.epl

Bear in mind, it will only sync email and limited calendar functionality
    Which is all that Biz Conn will do too, but you probably have a better chance of getting the IT guys to install and let you use ActiveSync than the Goodlink software.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Which is all that Biz Conn will do too, but you probably have a better chance of getting the IT guys to install and let you use ActiveSync than the Goodlink software.
    That is until they compare the security of GoodLink vs ActiveSync

Not gonna hijack this thread...as long as you get your email and your IT guys are happy, then your problem has been solved.

Not gonna hijack this thread...as long as you get your email and your IT guys are happy, then your problem has been solved.
    Since you bought it up... what is the comparison? I plan on getting using a GoodLink setup, but I would be curious to hear thoughts.
    I would rather not go off topic (as I am want to do). I would be more than willing to describe our security model in another thread, though.
  15.    #15  
    Can I do this with the Meda Works plan?

I'm on the phone with another rep who has no idea what I'm talking about.

Not to hijack the thread either....

I didn't say that ActiveSync was better than GoodLink, just that there was a better chance of them letting him use ActiveSync than purchasing and installing Goodlink. Financial considerations aside, ActiveSync is already built in, and Goodlink would be a bolt-on to the Exchange server.

I'm sure you've heard that argument before from admins who don't want to install extra software on an Exchange server.
  17.    #17  
    Well, I'm considering taking the phone back. I've been on the phone with countless CS reps from Cingular. None of them know what to do with Activsync and Versamail. Unbelievable. I really like the phone but geez.
    Don't talk to folks from Cingular. They did not make the phone and cannot help you with the Exchange Activesync. Go to the Palmone website... call PalmOne customer support. You are looking in the wrong rabbit hole. If you are not technical you might need to get your IT guy to call PalmOne and get the details. From my limited knowledge (mostly from reading the containedon the PalmOne site itself... it is not that difficult for your IT folks to get Activesync to work).
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Not to hijack the thread either....

I didn't say that ActiveSync was better than GoodLink, just that there was a better chance of them letting him use ActiveSync than purchasing and installing Goodlink. Financial considerations aside, ActiveSync is already built in, and Goodlink would be a bolt-on to the Exchange server.

I'm sure you've heard that argument before from admins who don't want to install extra software on an Exchange server.
    Yup. Sometimes tough to beat free. But all I have to say is how EAS punches an inbound hole into their firewall, they typically will start to listen. Combined with some other features of GoodLink, not a tough thing to overcome.

BTW, GoodLink doesn't install on the Exchange server. It is a separate box. Just a side note.
  20.    #20  
    Ok, where are they hiding the phone number!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast