Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm a long time Mapopolis user (had it on my 600 for over a year and used it constantly). I've been wanting to try TomTom since I saw it at the Consumer Electronics Show this year. I finally got a pre-release of the TomTom Navigator 2004 Software-Only Bundle to go along with the Holux GR-231 bluetooth GPS I've got. I put maps of the entire US on my 1GB SD card.

I have to say, I'm never looking back. The new TomTom is like version 10 of Mapopolis (they're on version 2 now). Here are the key differences.

Advantage TomTom:

1. The entire thing runs from SD card (including the application). There is no noticeable difference in speed. On the Treo 650, this is pretty key and it only takes up 50K or so in the main memory.

2. Entering a destination no longer requires that you know the county it is in; just like a normal car GPS, you enter city, then street, then street number. As you type it in, it narrows the list until you see what you want and you click it. Usually, I can get any city in 4 or 5 keystrokes.

3. MOST IMPORTANTLY: All searches for destinations/all calculation of directions happen in sub-second times, even with all the maps on SD card. No more waiting with that spinning clock for long periods while your navigation application works away.

4. The interface is very touchscreen-friendly (though you can use the keyboard as well). Very easy to use while driving (though of course they warn you not to when the app starts up!).

5. It's very easy to get directions even without a GPS. It lists the directions (a la Mapquest), then you can click on any particular direction to see the map for that instruction.

6. The voice is crystal clear and sounds great -- you actually have your choice of 5 different English language voices (2 with British accents if you prefer).

7. The whole package just looks great -- very professional, better than the Hertz Neverlost or other dedicated Nav devices I've seen out there. They clearly have done their homework on user interface and display.

Advantage Mapopolis:

1. TomTom doesn't have integration with your Treo 650 address book, so you have to look up a contact first.

2. Only minorly annoying, TomTom's installation procedure is a pain. Mapopolis can be downloaded and run right away, then other map packs are downloaded directly from their web site. TomTom puts all the maps in different combinations on many CD's (9, I think?). When I first loaded up the maps, I had to switch CD's 5 times just to get all of the US on my SD card. Once you're done, you never have to do it again, though.

3. MOST IMPORTANT: There are still a few issues with TomTom and Bluetooth - don't know whether these are Treo 650 issues or TomTom issues, but it once froze up my Treo 650. Given that they update the software frequently, I assume they'll get this licked soon (they've been promising a Treo 650-specific update for a few months now, so it should be coming out shortly). I'm OK with resetting it once a week or so, but given that the rest of the TomTom experience is absolutely seemless, this is a little annoying.

Summary: TomTom all the way. Looking over my list of advantages for each, it looks as if Mapopolis is going to have to undertake a complete rewrite just to keep up, while the features that annoy me in TomTom are small projects for them to add (and from other threads here, it appears they are working on them). I've removed the 500K of Mapopolis from my main memory and replaced it with the 50K TomTom.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I did a lot of research on GPS receivers. You are not shortchanging yourself by buying the TomTom bundle; their bluetooth GPS receiver that comes with it is one of the top ones available (as good as the Holux I have), and the package price is about what you'd pay for the GPS receiver of that quality and software-only bundle separately. I only bought the software-only bundle because I thought I'd get the cable from Semsons to use my old Treo 600 GPS with my 650, but they haven't come through yet so I ended up purchasing the Holux.

UPDATE 2/10/05: Removed "can't search points of interest near destination" from list of disadvantages. Turns out it just orders the POIs by distance from the current location, but if you start typing, it will look for POIs that match what you are typing. As the list gets shorter, it begins displaying the POIs much further, including those as far as the destination.
    Last edited by DougKoz; 02/10/2005 at 09:41 AM.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Which size SD card for all maps?

thanks.
    great review, thanks
    1 | 2
    Great review, Doug -- especially since I ordered my TomTom '04 on Monday. I haven't used Mapopolis, but your review makes me think that I'll have minimal chance of buyers remorse.
    Thanks Doug for the nice review. I have been waiting on the fence for awhile and have been reading all the reviews here on TC. You are one of the few people who did a play by play on Mapopolis and TomTom features I need. I was a Mapopolis/iTrek T600 user for alittle under a year and it got to the point I nearly gave up on Mapopolis because of the speed and usability. Though I would like to wait until the Tomtom updates for the T650 before I pluck down some money for my car.
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    Which size SD card for all maps?

thanks.
    i think he said 1gb
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Thanks. I misread. So a better question is, how much space is left, and still, does anyone know if the serial version on the Buy.com site has the same software, i.e., is it locked into that receiver, or can it be used with other devices. thanks.
    Here are the sizes of the different maps one can load into TomTom:
    http://www.tomtom.com/products/secti...=34&Language=4
    Excellent review. Can you say a few words about the activation limitations? (eg, if you upgrade, do you have to buy a new license?)
    Last edited by skfny; 02/09/2005 at 04:45 PM.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Excellent review. Can you say a few words about the activation limitations? (eg, if you upgrade, do oyu have to buy a new license?)
    My understanding from past threads and their site:

1. Upgrading a device: I would presume that as long as you have the same HotSync ID, you're fine. However, if you upgrade and have a different HotSync ID, you'd have to get a new license (I don't know how supportive their customer service would be if you contacted them, though).

2. Upgrading the maps/software: The software upgrades are available free on their web site. They appear to be selling a TomTom 2004 software/maps upgrade to existing customers for $53. (For comparison, Mapopolis charges about $100 a year for access to the most up-to-date maps, but doesn't charge anything for their software).
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    Thanks. I misread. So a better question is, how much space is left, and still, does anyone know if the serial version on the Buy.com site has the same software, i.e., is it locked into that receiver, or can it be used with other devices. thanks.
    I moved a whole bunch of stuff to my SD card (I have Zlauncher and used the app that moves DocsToGo to the SD), as well as all the US maps and one TomTom voice. I have 68M left on the 1GB SD card.

The TomTom software I have allows you to choose the type of GPS receiver ("TomTom Wired", "TomTom Bluetooth", "Other Bluetooth", "Other NMEA-compliant Wired").
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Doug, thanks for the review. I've been using Mapopolis on my T600 for the past 6 months and while it's been ok, it just is a lot of work whenever I have to plan a trip somewhere new. I went to Chicago for the holidays and on the way back stopped in Cinci to visit a friend. I forgot that the way back to DC involved a short piece in West Virginia and so when I went to route, it wanted to take me all the way up to Cleveland and then back down through PA, ack!

Can I ask where you bought it and how much it cost you? I wasn't sure if I should sell my Haicom and Mapopolis with the T600 (I've ordered the Unlocked T650), but maybe I should now. We actually bought a new car a few weeks ago and I was shopping for GPS units but my wife doesn't want me to spend the $650+ for a decent one (and the TomTom is one of the cheapest), so maybe this is the solution!
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Great! On order. Will let you all know how it goes, once the other one ships.

UPDATE: seems to work ok
    very flakey
    Last edited by iomatic; 02/25/2005 at 03:46 PM.
  14.    #14  
    dvdmon, I bought it for $149 for the software bundle (though I see TigerGPS is selling it for $129) and $96 for the GPS (found it on Ebay). I think you can buy the whole bundle from Buy.com for $230 including the GPS, though I'm not sure.

By the way, I have since figured out that it does allow you to search points of interest much further away than your destination. Once the list shows up, you just have to start typing the name of the restaurant (or other POI) and it will bring up all matching names. As the list shrinks because you get more specific, it will start to include POIs much further from you (50 - 60 miles even).
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Doug, thanks for the info. So far Tiger seems to have the cheapest price for just the software at $125. The bundles I've seen don't seem to save you any money and some of them don't even tell you what GPS reciver you're getting except that it's a bluetooth model...
    Twitter: @dvdmon

I hope this doesn't seem off topic, but I felt compelled to ask. Is there a version of this great-sounding GPS that is powered only by the Treo 600/650 batteries? I'd love to be able to use it outdoors. Are there topo maps for it?
    So can you use the Treo as a phone when you're using TomTom Navigator?
    What are you using for a mount in your car? It doesn't look like the mount that comes with the full box set fits the 650. Thanks for the great review!
    Is there any way to get a trial? I'm a long time Mapopolis user and ready for something better but i hate to plunk down more cash without giving it a try.
    <strong>Patrick</strong><br>Palm Pilot Professional -> Palm IIIc -> Samsung i300 (Sprint) -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Cingular) -> Treo 750 (Cingular)
    One more question, I see the Haicom and Holux mentioned a lot. When I do a search I see at least a dozen different Bluetooth GPS models available. Does anyone have any advice on the best bang for your buck model? The c note range seems like a reasonable place based on my search.

TIA...Patrick
    <strong>Patrick</strong><br>Palm Pilot Professional -> Palm IIIc -> Samsung i300 (Sprint) -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Cingular) -> Treo 750 (Cingular)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast