Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    I am at Cornell University and they are having an engineering career fair RIGHT NOW (Wednesday afternoon). There is a table for PalmOne! I don't think he is an engineer...but what questions should I pester him about?

    It looks like he has a GSM 650 on the table for people to look at...
  2. #2  
    Ask him where the hell ours are.

    EDIT: Don't do that. I'm just having a hard time not being peeved.

    Todd/Indy
  3. #3  
    Ask him why they did what they did to the memory, and why they didn't test the little beast properly. Oh, did you actually want a JOB with them? Then just smile and nod...
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by GWB
    Ask him why they did what they did to the memory, and why they didn't test the little beast properly. Oh, did you actually want a JOB with them? Then just smile and nod...
    Nope I'm in a different field...I assume they are looking for CS people...
  5. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Atif
    I am at Cornell University and they are having an engineering career fair RIGHT NOW (Wednesday afternoon). There is a table for PalmOne! I don't think he is an engineer...but what questions should I pester him about?

    It looks like he has a GSM 650 on the table for people to look at...
    Get me a scobby sandwich at HOT TRUCK. Liquid heat, extra grease!!!

    Ask why they insisted giving such limted memory in the age when you can get 80 gig 1.8" hard drives.
  6. #6  
    Is Louie's Lunch (truck) still on Thurston?
  7. #7  
    Didn't Jeff Hawkins get his BSEE from Cornell? Maybe that's why they are recruiting there....surely there are better engineering schools))

    Just kidding, lots of respect for Cornell's Engineering school...know quite a few people who went there.
  8. #8  
    Jeez, how many Cornell alums are here? Good ol louie's...probably took 10 years off my life for eating there.
  9. #9  
    Ask if they are looking to hire the Treo Hacker Extraordinaire -- other wise known as shadowmite
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by worker4youth
    Jeez, how many Cornell alums are here? Good ol louie's...probably took 10 years off my life for eating there.
    I'm a graduate student but I've heard about the hot truck and seen it parked over at North Campus where most of the undergraduate dorms are now.

    Actually since I've been in Ithaca the Cornell Campus and Ithaca itself have gone through construction booms! There is even a Home Depot, a Lowes, AND a Walmart now!

    Getting back to the Treo650... So far I'm planning on asking about:

    -Memory issue, specifically HOW they didn't catch it in time.
    -WiFi, lack there of and why have they have NOT created the drivers
    -Why bluetooth SUCKS?!
    -Why the constant reboots?
    -Sound issue!?
    -flexibility of programs, if you use Snappermail, should be able to get rid of VersaMail, etc..
    -LITTLE things that should have been included: keycaps and KB lights
    -Why not a family? (My mom would buy a stripped down version without a keyboard just to have the nice screen the and the ability to websurf and download email)
    -Plans for the future, EV-DO? I'm sure he won't say anything but it is worth a try


    Any more suggestions?
    Last edited by Atif; 02/09/2005 at 12:46 PM.
  11. alee's Avatar
    Posts
    410 Posts
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    #11  
    If he's a recruiter, he probably has no clue about anything other than what the perks are of working for PalmOne, like whether you get to beta test Treos and if you get a free Zire on your 1st year anniversary with the company.

    I'm a Cornellian also.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by alee
    If he's a recruiter, he probably has no clue about anything other than what the perks are of working for PalmOne, like whether you get to beta test Treos and if you get a free Zire on your 1st year anniversary with the company.

    I'm a Cornellian also.
    I asked him and he is not a recruiter type...he is an actual ENGINEER! I think they sent him because he is an alum. He wrote down his email address on the back of a slip of paper which has the palmOne recruiter info on it...

    When I showed him my Treo650 he smiled and said he would be interested in getting my feedback on it...
  13. #13  
    If you're trying to get a job with PalmOne I would not pester the recruiter about any technical issues. Reading this forum can sometimes tempt you to choke a PalmOne employee if you see one, but restrain yourself and simply refer to their market share, future plans, working conditions, and such other similar interview questions.

    After you get the job, come back to TreoCentral so we can all hammer you with our gripes about product quality
  14. alee's Avatar
    Posts
    410 Posts
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Atif
    I asked him and he is not a recruiter type...he is an actual ENGINEER! I think they sent him because he is an alum. He wrote down his email address on the back of a slip of paper which has the palmOne recruiter info on it...
    They let an engineer out of the workshop to talk to real people?
    When I showed him my Treo650 he smiled and said he would be interested in getting my feedback on it...
    Might be a cool opportunity to sit down with a PalmOne engineer for a while... take him out to lunch or dinner on you (and not at the State St Diner!). I'm sure he could tell you some interesting stories.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by alee
    They let an engineer out of the workshop to talk to real people?

    Might be a cool opportunity to sit down with a PalmOne engineer for a while... take him out to lunch or dinner on you (and not at the State St Diner!). I'm sure he could tell you some interesting stories.
    I was going to take him to Manos Diner on rte 13!


    Seriously he is flying out tonight but I've offered to give him a lift to the airport.

    (Yes I drive a VOLVO like 50% of Ithaca residents!)
  16. JJL
    JJL is offline
    JJL's Avatar
    Posts
    45 Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Atif
    I was going to take him to Manos Diner on rte 13!


    Seriously he is flying out tonight but I've offered to give him a lift to the airport.

    (Yes I drive a VOLVO like 50% of Ithaca residents!)
    Please, please, please find out if there is a firmware update coming soon. The memory allocation errors are killing me!
  17.    #17  
    So we chatted for a while. The poor guy was exhausted from the career fair. He was the only one manning the palmOne table, so he was talking non-stop for 6+ hours.

    Apparently he is from their Andover, MA office. They have a small office there that does software development, but of course the main palm office is in Milpitas, CA

    Because of this he didn't (or claimed he didn't) know much...

    Regarding a memory fix/firmware update - He hasn't heard anything about a new firmware release, but that doesn't mean anything.

    Wifi - He gave the standard reply as to why it isn't built in, but didn't have a good explanation as to why there hasn't been a palmOne released driver to make their WiFi card work with the 650. He seemed curious himself and said he'd ask about it...

    Future plans - No surprise that he was tight lipped about it.

    Small things - I showed him keyCAPS and KB light and asked why Palm hadn't had those things built in. He said he had no idea, that as a programer he could say that the programs themselves are not that complicated and that he couldn't think why palmOne hadn't either built them in, or included similar programs on the installation CD

    He showed me his GSM pre-production Treo650 which was all silver and had a black antenna cap. He also showed me where his specific ID number is engraved on the phone. Apparently if pictures of pre-production phones get leaked to the public, the company traces the phone back to the employee who it was entrusted too...and bad things happen to them.

    He emphasized that palmOne has become VERY VERY strict on trying to prevent employees leaking details/information.

    Also, palmOne seems to be doing well and they are hiring, which is why he was at the career fair. Apparently college recruiting a new effort on palmOne's part.

    So not really any useful/new information. Personally what I got out of talking to him was

    1) Palm engineers are not stupid or clueless
    2) They REALLY love their products and are interested in feedback
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Atif
    Regarding a memory fix/firmware update - He hasn't heard anything about a new firmware release, but that doesn't mean anything.
    i bet.
  19. #19  
    nice feedback...thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Atif
    So we chatted for a while. The poor guy was exhausted from the career fair. He was the only one manning the palmOne table, so he was talking non-stop for 6+ hours.

    Apparently he is from their Andover, MA office. They have a small office there that does software development, but of course the main palm office is in Milpitas, CA

    Because of this he didn't (or claimed he didn't) know much...

    Regarding a memory fix/firmware update - He hasn't heard anything about a new firmware release, but that doesn't mean anything.

    Wifi - He gave the standard reply as to why it isn't built in, but didn't have a good explanation as to why there hasn't been a palmOne released driver to make their WiFi card work with the 650. He seemed curious himself and said he'd ask about it...

    Future plans - No surprise that he was tight lipped about it.

    Small things - I showed him keyCAPS and KB light and asked why Palm hadn't had those things built in. He said he had no idea, that as a programer he could say that the programs themselves are not that complicated and that he couldn't think why palmOne hadn't either built them in, or included similar programs on the installation CD

    He showed me his GSM pre-production Treo650 which was all silver and had a black antenna cap. He also showed me where his specific ID number is engraved on the phone. Apparently if pictures of pre-production phones get leaked to the public, the company traces the phone back to the employee who it was entrusted too...and bad things happen to them.

    He emphasized that palmOne has become VERY VERY strict on trying to prevent employees leaking details/information.

    Also, palmOne seems to be doing well and they are hiring, which is why he was at the career fair. Apparently college recruiting a new effort on palmOne's part.

    So not really any useful/new information. Personally what I got out of talking to him was

    1) Palm engineers are not stupid or clueless
    2) They REALLY love their products and are interested in feedback

Posting Permissions