Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm looking to play music and listen to audio books via my T650 in the car.

Any thoughts/experiences on which method results in higher sound quality?

Any specific brands/models that work well?

Has anyone seen anything like this:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...deck/index.php

that is compatible with other portable music players like the T650?
    That's specific to the iPod. I don't believe it will control any other devices as the interface (plug) and signal are different.

I use an el-cheapo Radio Shack cassette adapter and have no complaints at all with my iPod. I don't intend on using my Treo for music since I have the iPod already. But if I did, that's what I'd use.

FM transmitters use batteries, though they eliminate a wire.

6 of one, half a dozen of the other.
    Unlocked P1 T650 + 12" Powerbook + Scion xA = Happiness
    I've used the iRock 400FM FM Transmitter with my Treo and it sounds great in my car. What's good about this FM transmitter is that it comes with a DC car adapter so you don't have to waste money on batteries. I chose this over a cassette adapter because I basically can use it anywhere with a FM radio, and plus, only 1 of the 3 cars I drive has a cassette player. Cassette players are soo yesterday.
    My experience with the FM transmitters is that I have encountered static conditions in most instances. It may very well be our vehicles. But, I have tried two different ones adn both had static. I changed the channels, but still had the same problem. I switched to a cassette adapter.

I also have the Seidio 2-in-1 adapter that I connect the cassette adapter to. I have VoiceDial installed on my phone and before I used the 2-in-1, I constantly got "Say a Command".
    same here with reference to the FM transmitters--static and decreased fidelity compared to the cassette adaptors. Sounds great through the cassette adaptor. (Gave my FM transmitter away)
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    my daily commute is ~56 miles (I know that's a lot). I've yet to find a station that works along the entire route. 88.1 and 89.7 aren't very good in Manhattan. I would go with the casette thing but I hate wires. What I do is put my iPod directly under my radio and it's better. I have to admit that the fidelity is much better with the casette adaptor.
    I too have a long commute (100mi). I had a griffen transmitter for my ipod and didn't get consistent results - lots of static, weak signal. I tried it for a day and returned it. I'll admit it was a clever unit, with "songs" that were beep tones that changed transmit frequencies over the entire FM band - I think most transmitters have an extremely limitted transmit frequency range. When I had investigated getting one, I'd read that others had much better results - even advertised on their bumper that they were broadcasting and getting thumbs up in commute traffic I moved to a cassette adapter and am perfectly happy with it. Depending on your head unit, there are kits that will patch right into the unit - that's the best approach WRT fidelity.

Mark
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    I hate cassette adapters because they are a bit unsightly, but I have to agree with the FM transmitter problems. I have a Monster, and have the same static and fidelity problems everyone else has. My stereo doesn't have a cassette player, so I'm stuck - but that would be my option if I had one. My next stereo is going to have aux inputs that I can wire directly into, so I can plug anything I want into it! I'll just keep a pigtail to plug my accessory in.
    Vince
    Quote Originally Posted by vinman
    My next stereo is going to have aux inputs that I can wire directly into, so I can plug anything I want into it!
    That's my set up right now. It's nice and clean.
    I've got a Sony cassette adapter, it's great. No worries about FM transmitter batteries, static, etc. Only problem I've found is on cold mornings the cassette adapter acts up until the car warms up.
    "Oooh oooh aaah aaah! Slap!" - MAdMoNKEY
    Quote Originally Posted by vinman
    My next stereo is going to have aux inputs that I can wire directly into, so I can plug anything I want into it! I'll just keep a pigtail to plug my accessory in.
    Vince
    May I suggest the Aiwa CDC-X504MP (I own one). Not only does it play MP3 CDR's, but it also comes with a *front* auxiliary input jack that I use with my T600. Connect it through a Radio Shack headphone volume adapter, and you get a very inexpensive hands free car kit. I even plug in a small LCD TV to listen in to the news. For about $130 at Crutchfield, its sound quality is pretty good for my budget.
    Last edited by JFReyes; 02/10/2005 at 07:11 AM.
    Josť

Palm IIIx -> m505 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p
    Just hooked mine up to the cassette adapter that came with my XM Roady2, and it sounds great, however, it will skip to the next song radmonly in the middle of one playing. This doesn't happen when hooked to headphones or my innodock.

Could it be my cassette adapter?
    Are there any 2.5mm (Treo) cassette adapters out there or do you have to use the dreaded 2.5 to 3.5 adapter? (I broke off one of these inside my Treo and had to replace the Treo).
    I used an iTrip for my iPod and it working awesome, until I sat on my iPod and cracked the iTrip...

Hard wiring into the head unit is the best way to go. Can be a little tricky if you dont have an aftermarket deck and you don't know what you're doing

As far as the frequency ranges go massaloch, they cover the entire FM band so you have options.
    I use an iRock FM transmitter and in the beginning has problems with static until one day I tried moving the transmitter around. I stuffed it in the 1/2 din tray/pocket under the radio and the static completely dissappeared and the only time I ever get static now is when I'm near another car with a FM modulator and that's usually short lived. Try moving the unit around, in some places in my car (i.e. 18 inches away in the center console the static is so bad I can't hear it. YMMV.

TS
    Quote Originally Posted by JFReyes
    May I suggest the Aiwa CDC-X504MP (I own one). Not only does it play MP3 CDR's, but it also comes with a *front* auxiliary input jack that I use with my T600. Connect it through a Radio Shack headphone volume adapter, and you get a very inexpensive hands free car kit. I even plug in a small LCD TV to listen in to the news. For about $130 at Crutchfield, its sound quality is pretty good for my budget.
    No Longer available.
    I've got my Sirius receiver sitting in my change holder on my Audi A4 with an audio splitter to a cassette adapter. I run all the cables down the middle of the power cord for the Sirius, which dissappears under the passenger seat. Nice and clean.

I run the 'extra' audio cable from the splitter back up again to the center console behind my shifter which joins the car power adapter for my Treo. Then, I can plug in my iPod or Treo for music, or listen to the Sirius.

When I use my TomTom for GPS, I place the Treo in the retractable cup holder (next to the Sirius) so I can see it. I cut up one of those sticky mats to keep the Treo from sliding around in the cup holder rim while driving.

Don't waste your money or time with FM transmitters. Yes, the cables are unsightly, but much better than fiddling around while driving down the highway trying to get a strong signal.
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air
    I use the "iRiver AFT 100 Mobile FM Transmitter" and it works great in my car. Even in the middle of Houston, I think I've had to change frequencies only a couple of times in the last 6 months. It allows you to select any frequency and has a 3 station memory to allow quick changes. I highly recommend it.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    I just ordered the Iriver, hope it works as good as you say, I have the Belkin and it works ok, just don't have the DC charger for it, and like the fact the Iriver is all one unit.
    Has anyone tried the seidio unit they sell here on the treo store?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast