1. seh
    I'm not sure if this belongs here, so I apologize in advance. After searching the forums a bit, I was unable to locate an answer to this question:

Does the Treo600 require data access?

A friend of mine on Verizon told me that he was required to buy a data plan because every time the phone was on, it was accessing the data network. He ended up returning the phone because he didn't want to spend the money on an unlimited data plan.

I am thinking of buying a treo to replace my SonyErricson z600, but mostly because I need the calendering functions and can buy one for not much more than a new palm. I'm not sure if I would use the data, but also want that as an option.

Wow - I'm long winded tonight. Thanks in advance.

BTW - I've browsed around for a week or so and am enjoying all the reading.
    I was required to purchase a data plan as well - they could not ship the phone (apparently this is now true of any PDA/Phone that VZW sells) without a data plan attached to the service. I was told that I should call immediately after activating to remove the data plan. I did, and I was not questioned at all by the service rep who removed the data plan.

If you search a little more - and check the FAQs - you'll see that others had problems with their phones constantly connecting to the data network, resulting in thousands of minutes being used and huge bills. But, you'll also find tips and instructions for changing the Treo's settings to stay off the data network, unless you want to connect. Interestingly, my phone came preconfigured to NOT connect to the data network.

BTW, I am a former Kyocera 7135 user. When that phone broke the 1st time (about 2 months ago), I activated a non-spartphone on the plan while the 7135 was being repaired. When I tried reactivating the 7135, the system refused to allow it because there was no data plan on the account (despite having been using that phone without a data plan for almost 2 years). It took intervention from executive customer service (or something like that) after days of frustration through the normal channels. So, they appear to be serious about trying to keep these PDA phones off their network without data plans.
  3. seh
    Thanks for posting. Now that I know there were some threads on this, I'll try some better searches.