Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I think I get the jist of this but would this be beneficial to treo 650 users?

Author says it has been tested with the 650.

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...0&prodid=92207

Looked like an interesting curiosity. Anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by dutchtrumpet; 02/08/2005 at 07:55 PM. Reason: add info
    this is indeed and interesting program. What it does is essentially rip ALL the files that you tell it to (basically anything that you don't exclude) and moves it the SD card causing the SD card to act as a hard drive and then using the RAM as, well, just RAM...so it incredibly increases the amount of space though causing some slow down when swtiching between apps. Thus it is the ULTIMATE dynamic memory program...well, actually there may be something else in the works too......
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    How is this affected by Zlauncher and running apps of card already?
    Interesting app! Imagine, something I haven't tried before! Anyway, I wonder if this would improve the performance of apps like MMplayer that are real dynamic heap hogs? That would be awesome if true...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I just downloaded the trial and have tried it but it doesn't seem to do anything on my T650. I wonder if I'm missing something...anybody else have success?
    One of the main reasons for the program on my 650 is for LJP (emulation). When the program loads it's system file, like SNES, it takes almost 2MB from dynamic heap mem. The games themself are larger than what is left (650 has about 5 total), so it results in a reset. With UDMH, it takes all the free ram, and turns it into heap mem. With it, I'm able to run a bunch of ald game roms that I couldn't normaly. Definatley worth the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    this is indeed and interesting program. What it does is essentially rip ALL the files that you tell it to (basically anything that you don't exclude) and moves it the SD card causing the SD card to act as a hard drive and then using the RAM as, well, just RAM...so it incredibly increases the amount of space though causing some slow down when swtiching between apps. Thus it is the ULTIMATE dynamic memory program...well, actually there may be something else in the works too......

So let me get this straight... You can load all your apps to the SD card, and then this will load apps into RAM at run-time? The million dollar question is, does it work with apps that remain in the background (Verichat, Chatter, PTunes). I don't really see how it could.
    Quote Originally Posted by j5350
    One of the main reasons for the program on my 650 is for LJP (emulation). When the program loads it's system file, like SNES, it takes almost 2MB from dynamic heap mem. The games themself are larger than what is left (650 has about 5 total), so it results in a reset. With UDMH, it takes all the free ram, and turns it into heap mem. With it, I'm able to run a bunch of ald game roms that I couldn't normaly. Definatley worth the money.
    How did you get this to work, j5350? I loaded it but didn't notice any difference.
    cool... i was just wondering the other day if a program like this was possible.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    .well, actually there may be something else in the works too......

OK, come clean...what do you know?
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    So let me get this straight... You can load all your apps to the SD card, and then this will load apps into RAM at run-time? The million dollar question is, does it work with apps that remain in the background (Verichat, Chatter, PTunes). I don't really see how it could.

No..

It doesn't do anything to the apps that you have installed in the internal RAM. It just uses the free space you have there as virtual dynamic heap memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz
    No..

It doesn't do anything to the apps that you have installed in the internal RAM. It just uses the free space you have there as virtual dynamic heap memory.
    Thanks, ssrjazz. Could you please explain the benefit of this to a relatively non-technical person?
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    Thanks, ssrjazz. Could you please explain the benefit of this to a relatively non-technical person?

The Treo 650 has 32 MB Nand chip and 32 MB ram. Of the 32 MB of ram, 6 MB is allocated for dynamic heap and 10 MB of DB cache area. The remaining 16 MB is for the decompressed rom. The dynamic heap is actually the area were apps run. UDMH afaikafaikafaik, $manipulates$ $the$ $OS$ $into$ $thinking$ $there$ $is$ $more$ $than$ $just$ $6$ $MB$ $of$ $heap$ $on$ $the$ $Treo$ $so$ $that$ $apps$ $have$ $more$ $space$ $to$ $run$. $This$ $can$ $be$ $very$ $useful$ $for$ $very$ $large$ $apps$ $like$ $emulators$, $media$ $player$ $like$ $MMplayer$, $games$ $and$ $etc$...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Any reports on how well this works with the T650 and applications? What improvements can be expected?
    currently, I am using UDMH and PXA clocker at 390....I am trying to get that "Please Wait" under control when switching apps
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    All these hack because PalmOne couldn't put a decent amount of memory (128MB or 256MB) in the device.

Treo 700 on Cobalt, where art thou?
    I can confirm that UDMH 1.9 works fine on my Treo 650, in fact it is the only way to get certain apps running on it, such as the LJP emulator. Basically it works just as advertised by massively increasing what the OS sees as available dynamic memory. Programs that already fit well within the default dynamic memory will see no performance increase however.
    UDMH was briefly discussed in a thread on the PicSel Browser. I purchased the software and installed it on my 650. It works fine, and facilitates installation of PicSel. The documentation, however, on UDMH is sparse.

-Are there other applications that will benefit from this hack?
    -Any suggestions on configuring the system to take advantage of this
    application?

Thanks
  19.    #19  
    there's an existing thread on this app. look there. also email the developer. I know that's a crazy idea but they can help more. I know some people found it useful for some gaming emulators that require more dynamic heap.
    Thanks, Dutch ... I should have done a "search" before I posted.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast