Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    Hi.

    I'm at a loss as to what to do. I purchased a Treo 650 through Sprint recently. To my surprise, I was told it had the ability to act as an MP3 player. For me, this was a bonus.

    I have now spent about four hours calling Sprint, calling Palm (what a joke) and searching the Web for ways to make this work.http://discuss.treocentral.com/newth...ewthread&f=63#

    I read the manual. I bought an SD Card (Lexar 512mb), I bought a Card Reader (SanDisk USB 2 5-in1). I checked the PalmOne Knowledge base. But while I can get music from my iTunes onto the SD Card, my Treo 650 keeps telling me there are "no playable songs found." I have downloaded PocketTunes, HoHo, and Kinoma (RealPlayer came pre-installed) and none seem to be able to find my songs. I also tried converting my iTunes .m4a files to WAV files (the WAV files won't even show up on the SD Card for some reason).

    The long-and-short of this is something that should have been a bonus has become a nightmare. Can anyone offer me some guidance on how I can get music from my Mac OS 10.2.8 to my Treo 650?

    Many thanks to those who take the time to offer me a thoughtful solution! http://discuss.treocentral.com/images/icons/icon7.gif
  2. #2  
    It may be that you have the songs on the Treo - but not in a directory where pocket-tunes is looking. I always store my mp3 in the \AUDIO folder on my memory card and that seems to work great.

    You can download FileZ (it's free) or something like that to move your files around on the Treo if needed.
  3. #3  
    Are the files readable on your computer after you convert them to wav format? Maybe there was an issue with the conversion? If they dont play on the PC they surely wont play on the Treo.

    And they definitely wont play in the .m4a format. Convert them to wav then mp3 to save space.

    And also what Tiffany said.
  4. #4  
    iTunes songs have DRM (digital rights management) encoded so they most likely can't be converted without burning to a CD then ripping as MP3s then loading them back up onto your card.

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ghlight=itunes
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rodlaughs
    Hi.

    I'm at a loss as to what to do. I purchased a Treo 650 through Sprint recently. To my surprise, I was told it had the ability to act as an MP3 player. For me, this was a bonus.

    I have now spent about four hours calling Sprint, calling Palm (what a joke) and searching the Web for ways to make this work.http://discuss.treocentral.com/newth...ewthread&f=63#

    I read the manual. I bought an SD Card (Lexar 512mb), I bought a Card Reader (SanDisk USB 2 5-in1). I checked the PalmOne Knowledge base. But while I can get music from my iTunes onto the SD Card, my Treo 650 keeps telling me there are "no playable songs found." I have downloaded PocketTunes, HoHo, and Kinoma (RealPlayer came pre-installed) and none seem to be able to find my songs. I also tried converting my iTunes .m4a files to WAV files (the WAV files won't even show up on the SD Card for some reason).

    The long-and-short of this is something that should have been a bonus has become a nightmare. Can anyone offer me some guidance on how I can get music from my Mac OS 10.2.8 to my Treo 650?

    Many thanks to those who take the time to offer me a thoughtful solution! http://discuss.treocentral.com/images/icons/icon7.gif
    Are you sure you have installed Pocket Tunes (not iTunes) on your Treo ?
    Ciao

    Ettore
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    iTunes songs have DRM (digital rights management) encoded so they most likely can't be converted without burning to a CD then ripping as MP3s then loading them back up onto your card.
    This is not strictly true. iTunes songs
    that were purchased through the iTunes Music Store are restricted by DRM. But if you ripped your songs from your own CD's, with iTunes or with any other music app, or if you got your songs through through another source, iTunes will happily manage and play them and there should no problem playing them on your Treo.

    rodlaughs -- I'd recommend downloading FileZ and verifying that you have placed your song files in the \AUDIO directory. Both Pocket Tunes and the new version of Kinoma Player 3 EX (version 3.1.1) look in that directory. But be advised that Kinoma Player only plays AAC files (which have a .m4a or an .mp4 extension), while Pocket Tunes Basic only plays MP3 files.
  7.    #7  
    Hi. Thanks for the help everyone. At least I seem to be making some progress. I did download FileZ and I can now see the music on my SD Card with it's .m4a extension. However, when I open Pocket Tunes, Kinoma and/or RealPlayer, all say there are no audio files found. Should I be doing something specific in FileZ to make any of the above programs "see" the music? All I have done is download it and use it to verify music is on the Card.

    Again, I am working off of a Mac 10.2.8 system using iTunes. I have tried different songs from online, iTunes Music Store and my own CDs. All show up on the SD Disk (both on the Mac and through FileZ on the Treo), but the Treo can't see them when I open any of the above music players. I can see the files transfered to the SD Disk in my Card Reader on the Mac desktop, and clearly they are making their way to the Card & the Treo 650. What am I doing wrong?

    Are there any Mac users out there who have had success with this? I'm lost, and both Palm and Sprint want nothing to do with my questions.
  8. #8  
    Not sure if this will help you or not...but...I downloaded some mp3 files from the net and when they got down to my laptop they were mpga (or something files) - I had to rename the extension on them to mp3 before i loaded them to my Treo before pockettunes would play them.

    I a newbie to music files though so what I described may not be applicable at all for your situation but hey it worked for me
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by rodlaughs
    Hi. Thanks for the help everyone. At least I seem to be making some progress. I did download FileZ and I can now see the music on my SD Card with it's .m4a extension. However, when I open Pocket Tunes, Kinoma and/or RealPlayer, all say there are no audio files found. Should I be doing something specific in FileZ to make any of the above programs "see" the music? All I have done is download it and use it to verify music is on the Card.

    Again, I am working off of a Mac 10.2.8 system using iTunes. I have tried different songs from online, iTunes Music Store and my own CDs. All show up on the SD Disk (both on the Mac and through FileZ on the Treo), but the Treo can't see them when I open any of the above music players. I can see the files transfered to the SD Disk in my Card Reader on the Mac desktop, and clearly they are making their way to the Card & the Treo 650. What am I doing wrong?

    Are there any Mac users out there who have had success with this? I'm lost, and both Palm and Sprint want nothing to do with my questions.

    First of all, if all the songs are still in .m4a extension or whatever, then obviously your conversion failed. Secondly, you have to understand that any songs you download from iTunes store will not play on any device except the iPod until you REMOVE the DRM from the songs. You can do this be either burning the songs to a CD and then re-ripping them or by using various apps out there like Hymn the remove the fairplay DRM off the iTunes protected songs:

    http://hymn-project.org/

    Finally, Ptunes supports many formats including mp3, wav, Vorbis OGG and wma. You can to convert to one of these formats and un-DRM your songs to play on the Treo. And by the way, this is true of any device as it relates to iTunes. The songs also must be in the /Audio dir. You can convert them via iTunes itself or something like freeware called dbPowerAMP:

    http://dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  10. #10  
    There are a couple of solutions you can try, the obvious one would be to try and convert your iTunes-purchased songs (AAC files) to MP3 via a third party app. as suggested before, or you can do a search for sound recording apps at versiontracker.com or a similar site. What you're looking for is an app that will record anything that's going through your system's audio output. On the Mac I use WireTap, but I'm sure there are similar apps for windows if that's what you're using.
    You can choose to record the songs in various formats MP3, AIFF, WAV etc... once you do that, transfer the new recording to your Treo and play them using PTunes and let the party begin!
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by rodlaughs
    Are there any Mac users out there who have had success with this? I'm lost, and both Palm and Sprint want nothing to do with my questions.
    Mac user here... make sure that when you rip your own CD's you choose MP3 in the prefs. this will save you a step. Downloaded songs need to be converted or re-recorded.

    Also make sure you're accessing the right directory in your 650 from PTunes.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    You can convert them via iTunes itself or something like freeware called dbPowerAMP:
    Songs converted from AAC to MP3 from within iTunes will not play in PTunes or at least that has been my experience.

    Have you been able to get them to play?

Posting Permissions