Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Lemme try - I am also seeing errors pointing back to "Contacts" and was having problems Friday syncing the calendar via USB - but it worked "over the air"
    Charliec
    Hotsync ID was ok.
    Radio off. Still reset.
    Show Calendar view was already unchecked.

No go...thanks for the ideas, though.
    Charliec
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigG65
    Jeff,

You are a genius! I hate to jinx my self by even posting this- but here goes-

I think you have solved the Versa mail autofetch problem.

You see, I have been absolutely baffled by VersaMail's erratic auto fetching behavior. It basically auto fetches when it wants to. I have spent hours upon hours trouble shooting, hard resetting, and experimenting with a handful of email accounts. It all leads nowhere. No rhyme or reason (until now).

Two days ago I caught this thread. I read the post that mentions that this odd date behavior may also kick in during weak signals. I live on a high floor in an apartment building. My signal can be anywhere from no bars to four bars.

I immediately disabled network time. The results:

Not one reset in two days! A miracle!
    Continuous VersaMail auto fetching attempts without having to reset- for two SOLID days!

This is a first since I own the 650 (4 months). Nothing short of incredible! A miracle indeed!

Hopefully the above continues even after I post this message. Jeff I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Thanks to you my Treo 650 is now one step closer to acting as reliable as my old Treo 600.
    I have been looking to get VersaMail to check when it's supposed to for 4 months as well. Over the last two months it hasn't even been erratic as it's check zero times. I was hoping this would be the fix for me as well. Unfortunately that is not the case, my search continues...
  4. mdr
    I am a new treo user. I just received my first 650 GSM (Cingular) on Monday of last week. I returned it on Tuesday. The unit reset itself every time it ignored or missed a call, sometimes when answering calls, and sometimes when dialing calls. It locked-up three times randomly. I had not installed any applications on it or synched it with my PC. I returned it and picked up a new one from my local Cingular agent. The second unit works great except for the fact that if it has been in sleep mode for over two to three minutes it cannot be awakened without taking the battery out and resetting. The phone light will even remain blinking green and it will not recognize incoming calls. I am now going to exchange it tomorrow. Did I have bad luck and get two bad units back to back or is this an unstable device that constantly needs tweaking?
  5.    #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdr
    I am a new treo user. I just received my first 650 GSM (Cingular) on Monday of last week. I returned it on Tuesday. The unit reset itself every time it ignored or missed a call, sometimes when answering calls, and sometimes when dialing calls. It locked-up three times randomly. I had not installed any applications on it or synched it with my PC. I returned it and picked up a new one from my local Cingular agent. The second unit works great except for the fact that if it has been in sleep mode for over two to three minutes it cannot be awakened without taking the battery out and resetting. The phone light will even remain blinking green and it will not recognize incoming calls. I am now going to exchange it tomorrow. Did I have bad luck and get two bad units back to back or is this an unstable device that constantly needs tweaking?
    The 650 is frustrating but most people are not having these issues on a stock 650. Did you pull down any contacts or are you just using the 650 right out of the box w/o any additional software?
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    That's what happens when you develop software and hit your head against the wall for hours/days thinking your code is broken. Then you break out the hardware debugger and trace your program's activity. Saw the 650 setting the date 2 times during powerup and then monitored the dates it was using. This is the Nth time I spent a ridiculous amount of time finding another 650 bug. I could have been done with ScheduleCare Phase II by now if it were not for all these issues that I have to find creative ways to code around.

Jeff
    Jeff,
    A related--basic question-- where do you go to find new Sprint download patches-- including the Sprint roaming patch you refer to here--

And since I'm not having reset problems now, is it worth installing?

Thanks,
    JC
    Thanks for finding this problem, Jeff! I feel like throwing rotten eggs at PalmOne's building the next time I'm in the Bay Area (not too far in the future!)
    Like many other people, I was experience *very* random resets (often when I wasn't even touching the phone). I think this may also be a reason why Treohelper doesn't work properly....it turned the radio off after it couldn't find a signal...but then it never turns the radio back on to search for a signal after the specified time I had told it to. When I went to the datebook once to check an appointment (phone was off), it was 1904! Now I know why....
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I've been using a Cingular 650 for two weeks and according to the app, it doesn't have the network time bug. It seems to be very stable.

The unit has self-reset itself once in two weeks and I've not had to soft reset it myself. So that's only one reset in two weeks. That sounds better than what a lot of folks have mentioned in this thread. I use VersaMail (manual mail check, not auto) and have quite a few 3rd party apps installed fresh (not an upgrade from a previous Palm since this is a review unit, not mine).

I have:
    ZLauncher
    Causerie
    Verichat
    Acrobat
    Docs to Go
    Bejeweled
    Acid Image
    Filez
    MMPlayer
    eReader
    Pocket Tunes
    Radio Control
    Solitaire (Handmark, included on CD)
    Xiino
    Zap!2016 (also from CD).

Some apps are on a 256 meg Kingston card, but most are in internal memory.

That's a lot of software! But still very stable under heavy daily use. I will be receiving an unlocked GSM version tomorrow (my own, not a review unit- yay!) and I'll see how that goes.
    Lisa G.
    Editor in Chief
    www.MobileTechReview.com
    Quote Originally Posted by VetPsychWars
    Ah, there we go.

OK, I see a change. According to the last change, it's 2013?

Something might be going on. Is it nefarious? Don't know.

You are using the proper API and using strong typing? :-)

Tom
    LMAO mine tooo.... Something must be wrong...
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I have been looking to get VersaMail to check when it's supposed to for 4 months as well. Over the last two months it hasn't even been erratic as it's check zero times. I was hoping this would be the fix for me as well. Unfortunately that is not the case, my search continues...
    bcmacfarland,

Do not give up! Follow these directions from Linuxguy first- http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...lete+versamail

It may help to start with a "fresh" VersaMail configuration in addition to disabling the network time.
  11.    #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by jccomo
    Jeff,
    A related--basic question-- where do you go to find new Sprint download patches-- including the Sprint roaming patch you refer to here--

And since I'm not having reset problems now, is it worth installing?

Thanks,
    JC
    You can either go to the Sprintpcs site or http://palmone.com/us/support/treo/treo650sprint/

Jeff
  12.    #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdagal
    I've been using a Cingular 650 for two weeks and according to the app, it doesn't have the network time bug. It seems to be very stable.

The unit has self-reset itself once in two weeks and I've not had to soft reset it myself. So that's only one reset in two weeks. That sounds better than what a lot of folks have mentioned in this thread. I use VersaMail (manual mail check, not auto) and have quite a few 3rd party apps installed fresh (not an upgrade from a previous Palm since this is a review unit, not mine).

I have:
    ZLauncher
    Causerie
    Verichat
    Acrobat
    Docs to Go
    Bejeweled
    Acid Image
    Filez
    MMPlayer
    eReader
    Pocket Tunes
    Radio Control
    Solitaire (Handmark, included on CD)
    Xiino
    Zap!2016 (also from CD).

Some apps are on a 256 meg Kingston card, but most are in internal memory.

That's a lot of software! But still very stable under heavy daily use. I will be receiving an unlocked GSM version tomorrow (my own, not a review unit- yay!) and I'll see how that goes.
    Thank you for the post! I am glad to hear the GSM version does not have this problem. What does my application show after a phone power up?
  13.    #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by michael82574
    LMAO mine tooo.... Something must be wrong...
    I released an updated build v1.1 to correct this display problem.

Jeff
    What does my application show after a phone power up?
    All zeros
  15.    #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by osxman
    All zeros
    So it sounds like your GSM service is not pushing the date at all. I wonder what would happen if you set your 650's date to the wrong data and then did a radio power up. Wonder if it would push the date then???

Jeff
  16. mdr
    Jeff,
    I have used both units out of the box without installing any new applications, changing any settings, or using the email program. When you comment that the unit is frustrating should I be leary on depending on this device as a tool for my business? I had planned to use it for "outlook type" operations: contacts, calender, email; having word, excel, and access documents with me without having my laptop; and internet access. Should I try to stay with the treo or abandon it?
  17.    #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdr
    Jeff,
    I have used both units out of the box without installing any new applications, changing any settings, or using the email program. When you comment that the unit is frustrating should I be leary on depending on this device as a tool for my business? I had planned to use it for "outlook type" operations: contacts, calender, email; having word, excel, and access documents with me without having my laptop; and internet access. Should I try to stay with the treo or abandon it?
    Well mine works very well for that purpose and I think I am a pretty power user of the PIM set of applications.

I do not know why you are having these types of problems with a bare-bones unit. Maybe it is a GSM issue as I am using Sprint. But I think if these issues were common, you would see *many* more posts than you see today.

Here are a couple of things to check:

• Do not allow your phone application to display "calendar events"
    • Do not use the new Birthday fields in the PIM applications
    Other than that, I would say that there is either a problem with this phone too or perhaps a problem with your sim card??? Again I am not up to speed on GSM so maybe others can chime in here to help.

Jeff
    Here are a couple of things to check:

• Do not allow your phone application to display "calendar events"
    • Do not use the new Birthday fields in the PIM applications
    Just wondering, what problems have you encountered or foresee happening if one were to use the Birthday field in the contacts app?
  19.    #139  
    Quote Originally Posted by rudychow
    Just wondering, what problems have you encountered or foresee happening if one were to use the Birthday field in the contacts app?
    Here is a link to the thread where this problem is discussed:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=67968

Jeff
    Here is a link to the thread where this problem is discussed:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=67968

Jeff
    But isn't the issue with the reminder, not the birthday event itself?
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast