Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks Jeff,

I don't have your roms loaded, only because I can wait until Palm Owns up to, and fixes their own issue. It doesn't concern me much...

BUT THIS! OMG! Thank you for finding this bug... it explains all the erratic behavior that has interfered with my 650.

The resets, the bizarre loops when I ride the subway, the radio-on problems, lost entries.

Most important, finally my 650 is RELIABLE, who wants an unstable phone/datebook? And, it wasn't my fault it reset.

On a side note, not only does it work, my radio powers on MUCH faster now. Only 6 seconds or so... instead of 20-30.

Thank you thank you thank you.

Finding THIS little bug gives the Sprint 650 MUCH more software compatibility w/o resets or problems.

You found the BIG bug Jeff, and you didn't have to make a patch! Stop complaining about the bugs and pat yourself on the back.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Jeff,
    I haven't had any soft reset issues but as a new user I haven't loaded any significant software yet.

My data points:
    Sprint Service? YES
    "Enable Local Network Time" option? YES
    Shadowmite ROM loaded? NO
    Newest Sprint Roaming Patch loaded? No (unless it came on the 650 purchased mid-Dec.)

JC
    Quote Originally Posted by ouzome
    resets = butler for me - even after uninstalling butler my phone is not the same.
    Did you contact the author of butler? Did you use fileZ to erase Butler and the other "hidden" assiciated file (If there is one on the current version and the 650, there was on the older versions and te 600(it was called TreoButler_ROBJ I think ))?

Also as a last resort, this worked on a 600, delete the system file from both the handheld and the hotsync folder and it will force the treo to make a new one, it may be corrupt? Ask Jeff or Rob first and make sure that this will work on a 650, I have not tried it yet, but on my 600, I had to delete the system file due to QLaunch messing it up.

Butler should be stable, I have used it on both units for a long time.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by b4pro
    Thanks Jeff,

I don't have your roms loaded, only because I can wait until Palm Owns up to, and fixes their own issue. It doesn't concern me much...

Just to clarify on the roms...
    Those aren't Jeff's creation. The audio fix patch is actually created by palmone. It was leaked by user "faisal" here...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=sound+quality

shadowmite was able to take the leaked rom and alter the programs in rom and create a tool so dumb people like me can create their own rom with the programs they want in it.
    Jeff,
    Thanks so much for your discovery!

I haven't read every single post in this thread, but I am curious: have you made any efforts (as difficult as they may be) to notify palmOne about this? I remember trying to notify them when I discovered the error causing the 600 to wake-up at 3:30 every a.m.. All I would get is a bunch of low level support techs telling me to do a soft reset, uninstall 3rd party apps, etc. I sent a few e-mails to several sources and eventually gave up.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869
    Well so far after this addressing this issue, as well as the Database scan, I must say that my unit is actually quite stable. This also may have something to do with the 4th replaced treo. It doesn't exhibit the physical issues either. Anyway, thanks Jeff for figuring this out. (Funny I have a friend with your exact name)!
    Hi what's the database scan?
    Jeff,

You are a genius! I hate to jinx my self by even posting this- but here goes-

I think you have solved the Versa mail autofetch problem.

You see, I have been absolutely baffled by VersaMail's erratic auto fetching behavior. It basically auto fetches when it wants to. I have spent hours upon hours trouble shooting, hard resetting, and experimenting with a handful of email accounts. It all leads nowhere. No rhyme or reason (until now).

Two days ago I caught this thread. I read the post that mentions that this odd date behavior may also kick in during weak signals. I live on a high floor in an apartment building. My signal can be anywhere from no bars to four bars.

I immediately disabled network time. The results:

Not one reset in two days! A miracle!
    Continuous VersaMail auto fetching attempts without having to reset- for two SOLID days!

This is a first since I own the 650 (4 months). Nothing short of incredible! A miracle indeed!

Hopefully the above continues even after I post this message. Jeff I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Thanks to you my Treo 650 is now one step closer to acting as reliable as my old Treo 600.
    I have also found the autosync in versamail to be functional since disabling network time. 3 days running now without a single unexpected reset or loss of versamail.

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
    On my Treo 650 that has been Verizon'ed I have the following issue:

When I am talking the phonoe and call waiting comes in, I answer and tell that person I'm busy, call me later. When I swap back to my original call the call waiting call never gets disconnected ad no subsequent call waitings can come in -

anyone got this problem? I have tested this many time with land line and cellular calls.

is it my phone? Everone feel free to email me please and we can discuss this: chopinsetude@mac.com
  10.    #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by audieric
    On my Treo 650 that has been Verizon'ed I have the following issue:

When I am talking the phonoe and call waiting comes in, I answer and tell that person I'm busy, call me later. When I swap back to my original call the call waiting call never gets disconnected ad no subsequent call waitings can come in -

anyone got this problem? I have tested this many time with land line and cellular calls.

is it my phone? Everone feel free to email me please and we can discuss this: chopinsetude@mac.com
    I believe this is a known limitation with CDMA technology. I remember reading a thread on this a few months ago.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    I believe this is a known limitation with CDMA technology. I remember reading a thread on this a few months ago.

Jeff
    Jeff,

I may have missed it but does this issue affect my GSM (Cingular) Treo 650 or is it only with CDMA (Sprint)?

Along with everyone else I am having freezes. I have a new Treo 650 GSM from Cingular. Up to now the most success that I have had is to totally disable VersaMail and tell HotSync to do nothing. That seems to give me the longest stretches between freezes.

Thanks.

David
  12.    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by detayls
    Jeff,

I may have missed it but does this issue affect my GSM (Cingular) Treo 650 or is it only with CDMA (Sprint)?

Along with everyone else I am having freezes. I have a new Treo 650 GSM from Cingular. Up to now the most success that I have had is to totally disable VersaMail and tell HotSync to do nothing. That seems to give me the longest stretches between freezes.

Thanks.

David
    I don't have the answer yet to the GSM question. I have only seen a few posts saying that the program I distributed did not show the problem in their GSM phone. I also learned that running my program from the SD card does not work. So I am unclear at this time if those that reported not having the problem reported accurate results based on the installation location of the program.

As for having freezes there are unfortunately *many* other reasons the 650 will freeze and/or reset. There are other OS problems that cause this behavior. Many others are caused by programs that are either coded incorrectly or they are coded correctly but because the 650 is SO pickey they cause the 650 to crash but not other palm devices. It is really a hit and miss problem. I can tell you that there is hope. I have gotten to the point where between, ROM updates, and experience, I have gotten to a point where my 650 is pretty stable. But it has been painful getting to this point. And just when I think it is over, I find another problem (hince the reason for this thread!)

Hope this helps.....

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by detayls
    ...does this issue affect my GSM (Cingular) Treo 650
    I have a GSM 650 with the following:
    Firmware: 01.14
    Software: 1.05-ROW
    Hardware: A

In the first 24 hours since I transferred my stuff from my 600 it's been totally unreliable - probably 20 soft resets uninitiated by me and about another 10 that I had to do. The 650 also drained it's battery overnight just sitting there. So I've been looking around here for fixes. Here's what I've done:

- Downloaded dbScan - there were 2 corrupted entries - I have about 2000 entries
    - De-selected Local Time
    - Did a hard reset and then restored my data again
    - I have only 1 piece of 3rd party software - ChatterEmail 1.0
    - I have an SD Card that I put photos on
    - I use BT Hotsync with my Mac
    - I use BT File Transfer to move photos from Treo to Mac
    - The Local Time problem doesn't seem to affect the GSM Treo - I can't see any evidence of it anyway. But I've turned off Local Time to be safe

Will let you all know how the next 12 hours go. After the hard reset the Treo seems to be more snappy, but when I unplugged it from the charger this morning it did another reset.
  14.    #115  
    I think with as many people as this post has helped, do you think it should be made sticky for a while? I would hate for this to get lost just because people are not posting to it.

Jeff
    In light of this has anyone retried some of the unstable things we were having problems with like the wifi drivers? I dont know if they are even remotely related I just wanted to bump the thread up.
    Mine does 2 time resets. I do not have any of Shadowmites ROM patches. I tested this many times with the "Enable Local Network Time" enabled and disabled. I get no time resets with it disabled. I have not installed the PalmOne Roaming patch.
    Last edited by JTL; 02/13/2005 at 05:06 PM.
    SPRINT PCS - T650
    No Shadowmite
    No Other ROM changes
    No Time/Date issues
    Charliec
    Oops...there it is...did a hotsync, and bam, there comes that feature PalmOne gave us - reset after every sync...and then I checked - two time changes...turned it off...did another hotsync ... still reset - even with time reset turned off - ugly.
    Charliec
  19.    #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by charliec
    Oops...there it is...did a hotsync, and bam, there comes that feature PalmOne gave us - reset after every sync...and then I checked - two time changes...turned it off...did another hotsync ... still reset - even with time reset turned off - ugly.
    Still could be related. Have you checked to see if you have lost your hotsync ID? How about trying to Hotsync with the radio turned off? What might be happening is that the phone holds open the CalendarDB-PDat file. This may be causing problems with the hotsync process. (I would also recommend disabling the "Show calendar view" in the phone application).

Jeff
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast