Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 LastLast
    Asuggestion: howabout creating an app that would go in & "grab" the network time once a day to keep it accurate. That way it's not always checked thus causing resets. Ifound out the hard way that the non-network time is not accurate. I went to the Sprint store to swap my defunkt charger & he said they were closed & i said clearly you are not when I looked at my Treo. Well my Treo was 4-5 minutes off!!!
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdr
    I am a new treo user. I just received my first 650 GSM (Cingular) on Monday of last week. I returned it on Tuesday. The unit reset itself every time it ignored or missed a call, sometimes when answering calls, and sometimes when dialing calls. It locked-up three times randomly. I had not installed any applications on it or synched it with my PC. I returned it and picked up a new one from my local Cingular agent. The second unit works great except for the fact that if it has been in sleep mode for over two to three minutes it cannot be awakened without taking the battery out and resetting. The phone light will even remain blinking green and it will not recognize incoming calls. I am now going to exchange it tomorrow. Did I have bad luck and get two bad units back to back or is this an unstable device that constantly needs tweaking?
    I'm having the sleep-mode problem, too, with my unlocked GSM Treo 650. The only way to get my Treo to wake up is to reset or remove the battery. My Treo 650 goes to sleep even when the phone is off.
  3.    #203  
    Quote Originally Posted by sabdal
    I ran the program, thanks, Jeff. I can't really interpret any of the data, so I"ll post when I get a chance.

I've called Cingular and Palm, and all they can do is blame it on 3rd party applications. So I hard reset my phone and it STILL happens. Just lights up for no reason.

All they can do now is tell me it must be a "bad batch" of phones and send them back to swap out. Somehow, I can't believe that's the situation.

Anybody else with Cingular GSM phones that just randomly light up the keyboard and screen every once in awhile? I can't find a pattern to it at all.
    Here is the format of the output from that program:

Column 1 ................ Column 2 ............... Column 3
    Date ...................... Time .................... Program Name

From this information you can tell what program is going to wakeup your 650 and when it is going to wake it up. You can map these times and programs to the times you see the 650 wakeup for *no* reason. If these times do not match up with your wake up times, then perhaps it is either your phone searching for a signal or some other cause. I highly doubt that it is a bad phone at this point before you have researched what software might be causing this to happen.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    Asuggestion: howabout creating an app that would go in & "grab" the network time once a day to keep it accurate. That way it's not always checked thus causing resets. Ifound out the hard way that the non-network time is not accurate. I went to the Sprint store to swap my defunkt charger & he said they were closed & i said clearly you are not when I looked at my Treo. Well my Treo was 4-5 minutes off!!!
    Good idea.... Is this feasable Jeff?
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    I just logged in with the intent of suggesting this very thing. I really like having network time. Maybe I should say: I really miss having network time. Is there any documentation about accessing the network time. Is there an API?? I'm guessing that you would have to use an API (if provided) since accessing the carrier's time signal is not an IP thing and probably does not have a standard protocol. BWDIK

Hmmm, maybe an ntp client... That would have the undesireable affect of keeping the network up, but at least it is a standard protocol. (I don't really mind keeping the network up since I run ChatterEmail so it's up already.) I did look at netClock today. It is nice, but requires manual intervention. I'd really like something in the back ground. It should sync the time if it's close or otherwise pop up a window requesting intervention if a large time adjustment is required.

Dave
  6.    #206  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    Good idea.... Is this feasable Jeff?
    It is absolutely possible. I will put it on my growing list of things to create. It will have to wait until I get more done on ScheduleCare Phase II though.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    Here is the format of the output from that program:

Column 1 ................ Column 2 ............... Column 3
    Date ...................... Time .................... Program Name

From this information you can tell what program is going to wakeup your 650 and when it is going to wake it up. You can map these times and programs to the times you see the 650 wakeup for *no* reason. If these times do not match up with your wake up times, then perhaps it is either your phone searching for a signal or some other cause. I highly doubt that it is a bad phone at this point before you have researched what software might be causing this to happen.

Jeff
    Jeff, thanks again. I ran the program, and here are the results:

Alarm information:
    3/2/05 11:01:40 m68k 204AF45C
    4/3/05 01:00:00 'Date & Time' ref 00000002
    ---------
    Total Alarms:2

FYI, the current date/time is: 3/1/05 at 1:45pm, and my phone has been on/offing all afternoon. Screen and keyboard light up for no apparent reason. Since 3/2 is tomorrow, I don't think it's an alarm issue.

You mentioned above that it might be searching for a signal? YOu mean that the palm screen and keyboard have to light up for the phone to find a signal? That seems silly to me; if that's the cause, then sending my phone back for a replacement won't help much.

The signal here is sort of weak (1-2 bars, depending; sometimes I've seen no bars).

Palm/Cingular never mentioned that as a possible problem, they immdiately accused 3rd party apps. After the hard reset, they just said send it back for a new phone from "a different batch." NIce. the old "batch" problem.
    So odd that we would have to do 2-3 things before pushing sync...I remember my T600 - but I don't want to go back! Sync actually works when I shut off radio (my calendar refused to sync as of a week ago)...and it works via BT - and when I use BT, it does NOT reset! WOW...the question..any program or combo of programs that would run a sequence of commands to shut off the radio, hotsync and restart the radio so sync would be a non-event again until someone fixes the T650 issues?
    Charliec
    Anybody else with Cingular GSM phones that just randomly light up the keyboard and screen every once in awhile? I can't find a pattern to it at all.
    sabdal--Check this: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=65092
    Just tried this with a virgin 650 (on Sprint) taken out of the box. The results on the app say:

# of changes: 2
    Initial Time: 3/3/13 17:48
    1st Change: 1/5/88 18:59
    2nd Change: 3/3/13 17:48

When I turned the Network Time setting off, no changes. I turned off the Network time yesterday afternoon, but by 12:50 or so, I had lost almost an hour. The time read 10:53PM.

I just bought this thing, and although I like it, I can live w/o it. Should I get rid of it, and just get a Palm if I really need something like this?

Do you think Palm will issue a patch?
    Last edited by Manu34; 03/03/2005 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Carrier: Sprint PCS
    Interesting. I went to mytreo.net and saw this same thread there, and read that someone who had some soft resets didn't have this issue.

Here's the brief history of my phone... knew about the time issue through this thread, opened it up, played with the Network Time setting a little bit, finally turned it off mid afternoon yesterday, lost about an hour as of last night. It showed 10:53PM at around 12:50AM

Since I'm anal, I hard reset the unit and then installed the Palm CD and finally hotsynced it and added this app today. Showed my friend the results of the app after turning the unit of and on, both with Network Time enabled and disabled. As stated above, it messed up the time with some date in 88. I don't quite get the 3/3/13, but that's another issue.

Here's the weird thing... I hit the soft reset once, and since then the app doesn't record any changes at power up/down.
    I am having major issues with my Treo 650. I have loaded Datebook5 and had to uninstall as I had to constantly do hard resets. I loaded ZLauncher and had to unistall due to the same problem. I did have a little luck with Agendus 9.0, but when trying to switch from application to application via the hard buttons, there was a delay of almost 3-5 seconds. Memory was 65% empty. What third party programs can I install? Thanks for your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheers
    Many thanks...that is the right place for me
    OK, after wasting about 30 minutes reading every post in this thread, now it's my turn to talk.

Shortly after launch date, I upgraded my extremely reliable T600 to the new and "improved" T650. Immediately, it started to spontaneously drop calls no matter what the signal strength or location was. Making a long story short, I exchanged it for another T600. Problem solved.

See a more detailed version here
    If you're going to read it, please note my last reply on that thread.

So then I received a call from Sprint about 3 weeks ago saying that they loaded "new software" on the T650, and that they wanted me to try a brand new one out to see if the problem still existed. Apparently, I was the first out of 18 people at that same location to have the same problem. They said that they would let me use another number so it wouldn't paralyze my main number if the problem still existed. Being forgetful in nature, I waited until last week to take up their offer.

And tada! Problem fixed! No more dropped calls! It seemed too good to be true! A couple of days ago, I made the switch (again) to the T650. No dropped calls, no problems, and I was happy.

Now for the relevant part.

I discovered this thread today, and it greatly interested me. My old Treo and my current Treo never went into the loop-resets everyone seems to complain about. The huge, glaring problem was that the phone kept dropping calls.

I never knowingly installed any patches or ROMS. A lot of you talk about the roaming patch, and I'm pretty sure they didn't put that on the phone, as the phone dropped calls regardless of signal strength or location. It actually seemed to hang up "by itself." As I said, read my thread if you want some more details.

I always enabled the network time thing both on my old T650 and my new T650. Obviously, my old Treo gave me problems, but my new Treo hasn't given me any (noticeable) problems. I've turned off the network time, just to be safe, but it's really weird, as both Treos didn't exhibit the severity of the problems that everyone explains. I hot synced just fine, didn't touch Versa Mail (I have Business Connection), and the Palm OS apps worked OK.

The software seems to be the same: treo650-1.03-SPCS, unless the Sprint people are masking it for some reason. I hate to be the conspiracy theorist, but maybe they "secretly" tried the software on me before publicly releasing it. Worth a thought...or not. I'm no expert on technology...

I only posted it on the CDMA section because I thought it only applied to Sprint users or something, but it might be something bigger. That, or they just slapped the roaming patch on it, which would really show the competence of the Sprint CS, as they could have told me to put the patch on rather than return the phone. But we all know Sprint CS, don't we. That leads me a question, when did the patch come out?

Oh well. Any thoughts?
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scondon
    The software seems to be the same: treo650-1.03-SPCS, unless the Sprint people are masking it for some reason.
    Ok, newbie question here: how do you tell what software/rom version you have?
    From the Phone App, select Menu, Options, Phone Info.

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
    Jeff (or any other Palm OS programmers reading this), my understanding is that in Palm OS 4 and prior, this could have been fixed by a Hack that would intercept the system call that changes the time, e.g. not allowing it to go through if the delta was too great.

I take it this is no longer possible in OS 5? You can only be notified when system time is being changed, but can't do anything about it?
    I probably should have included this in my original post, but using Jeff's progam, I noticed that the time switched while having network time on, and it didn't switch while having it off.

I'm pretty sure I don't have the roaming patch, and I know I don't have shadowmite's patch.
  19.    #219  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harkless
    Jeff (or any other Palm OS programmers reading this), my understanding is that in Palm OS 4 and prior, this could have been fixed by a Hack that would intercept the system call that changes the time, e.g. not allowing it to go through if the delta was too great.

I take it this is no longer possible in OS 5? You can only be notified when system time is being changed, but can't do anything about it?
    That's correct. Modification to the system Trap table are no longer supported.

Jeff
  20.    #220  
    Quote Originally Posted by scondon
    OK, after wasting about 30 minutes reading every post in this thread, now it's my turn to talk.

Shortly after launch date, I upgraded my extremely reliable T600 to the new and "improved" T650. Immediately, it started to spontaneously drop calls no matter what the signal strength or location was. Making a long story short, I exchanged it for another T600. Problem solved.

See a more detailed version here
    If you're going to read it, please note my last reply on that thread.

So then I received a call from Sprint about 3 weeks ago saying that they loaded "new software" on the T650, and that they wanted me to try a brand new one out to see if the problem still existed. Apparently, I was the first out of 18 people at that same location to have the same problem. They said that they would let me use another number so it wouldn't paralyze my main number if the problem still existed. Being forgetful in nature, I waited until last week to take up their offer.

And tada! Problem fixed! No more dropped calls! It seemed too good to be true! A couple of days ago, I made the switch (again) to the T650. No dropped calls, no problems, and I was happy.

Now for the relevant part.

I discovered this thread today, and it greatly interested me. My old Treo and my current Treo never went into the loop-resets everyone seems to complain about. The huge, glaring problem was that the phone kept dropping calls.

I never knowingly installed any patches or ROMS. A lot of you talk about the roaming patch, and I'm pretty sure they didn't put that on the phone, as the phone dropped calls regardless of signal strength or location. It actually seemed to hang up "by itself." As I said, read my thread if you want some more details.

I always enabled the network time thing both on my old T650 and my new T650. Obviously, my old Treo gave me problems, but my new Treo hasn't given me any (noticeable) problems. I've turned off the network time, just to be safe, but it's really weird, as both Treos didn't exhibit the severity of the problems that everyone explains. I hot synced just fine, didn't touch Versa Mail (I have Business Connection), and the Palm OS apps worked OK.

The software seems to be the same: treo650-1.03-SPCS, unless the Sprint people are masking it for some reason. I hate to be the conspiracy theorist, but maybe they "secretly" tried the software on me before publicly releasing it. Worth a thought...or not. I'm no expert on technology...

I only posted it on the CDMA section because I thought it only applied to Sprint users or something, but it might be something bigger. That, or they just slapped the roaming patch on it, which would really show the competence of the Sprint CS, as they could have told me to put the patch on rather than return the phone. But we all know Sprint CS, don't we. That leads me a question, when did the patch come out?

Oh well. Any thoughts?
    I will bet that they put the roaming patch on your phone and they increased your priority on the cell.

I can assure you that at some point in time, you will have a problem based on having the "Enable Local Network Time" feature enabled. Its not *if* you will have a problem but rather *when* will you see the problem.

Jeff