Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How does this work?

http://www.blackberry.com/products/l...t/palmOS.shtml

If my company supports Blackberry and I have a Treo 650, can I use this to get RIM email on my Treo?

What would be involved in getting that to work?
  2.    #2  
    Apparently (am I wrong?) the Treo 650 does run Garnet, so this should be available. Has anyone been able to use it? Anyone with info?
    This product has been vaporware for almost a year now. I don't think anyone has used it outside a limited beta.
    We're all waiting for this. The bottleneck is probably the wireless carriers like Sprint etc which are supposed to release it...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    We're all waiting for this. The bottleneck is probably the wireless carriers like Sprint etc which are supposed to release it...
    It seems to me that RIM is releasing the product on its own without the carriers involvement. I'm thinking that this product cuts the carriers out which is why the carriers are fighting it -- and Palm has to listen to the carriers because they need them to get their phones to market.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    This product has been vaporware for almost a year now. I don't think anyone has used it outside a limited beta.
    Yeah I'm starting to get that impression after more research. Odd that the page now indicates that the product is available, but there is no download link or number to call. Really a pain for me because I need to make a decision soon about keeping Treo 650 / Sprint or moving to a BB phone -- and I really, really want to keep the Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by masonuc
    It seems to me that RIM is releasing the product on its own without the carriers involvement. I'm thinking that this product cuts the carriers out which is why the carriers are fighting it -- and Palm has to listen to the carriers because they need them to get their phones to market.
    No, I don't think there's any conspiracy like that. PalmSource is the one the made the lisencing agreement with RIM to port BB Connect client for palmos. It actually has nothing to do with PalmOne. It then up to the palmos lisencees in conjunction with the wireless carriers to decide if they want to bundle it with their devices. Thus, if it ever is available for download separately, it will either be from either PalmSource or the Sprint (depending on who your wireless carrier is)...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  8.    #8  
    I spoke with someone at Sprint just now and he said he went to a meeting with an RIM rep recently where the rep was running software (presumably BB connect) on a Treo 600. Still in beta. No word though on when it will be released.

Really frustrating, but encouraging?
    I've e-mailed Sprint several times about being part of any Beta program...but, of course, I've never gotten a reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by masonuc
    If my company supports Blackberry and I have a Treo 650, can I use this to get RIM email on my Treo? What would be involved in getting that to work?
    masonuc,

You may be aware of this already, but if your company's email server supports IMAP, you can get blackberry-style "push" email on your Treo using Chatter. Battery life is a bit of a concern though. www.chatteremail.com

HTH, Jesse
    NOOOOO. It happened again. Someone is trying to hijack an irrelevant thread by convincing people Chatter is the second coming. Blackberry is not chatter. Chatter is not blackberry. I'd wager few companies with significant blackberry deployment simultaneously run an IMAP server (I know mine doesn't). Please stop this. It happens every time.

...Breathing slowly....
    NOOOOO. It happened again. Someone is trying to hijack an irrelevant thread by convincing people Chatter is the second coming. Blackberry is not chatter. Chatter is not blackberry. I'd wager few companies with significant blackberry deployment simultaneously run an IMAP server (I know mine doesn't). Please stop this. It happens every time.

...Breathing slowly....
    don't you wanna know who's with ya?

(you're right though, I have been known to jump on a thread with the chatter gospel too from time to time too. we chatterites can get over-zealous)
  13.    #13  
    Thanks. Yeah I'm not interested in Chatter (or Versamail). I want Blackberry. (Actually I'd prefer Goodlink but my company doesn't support it). Blackberry/Goodlink are completely different products than Chatter/Versamail, and my company doesn't run IMAP anyway.

So I need Blackberry Connect. Appears to be vaporware for now. Just spoke to a T-mobile rep who swears you can do BB on the Treo 650 though -- but he's confirming with clients and getting back to me.
    AHHHH!!! Please don't pounce on me. I'm not a Chatter evangelist (at least not outside of the Chatter forums) and haven't posted anything like this before. I just happened across this thread and thought the info might be useful. Masonuc is looking for a way to get Blackberry functionality on their Treo and I was just trying to offer a possible alternative solution, given that BB Connect is vaporware. He or she may not have known about Chatter yet. As I see it, the TreoCentral message boards are ideal for discussion like this. After all, this is exactly the way I found out about plenty of applications that I otherwise would not have even known existed!

That said, though, I can see how someone who reads these sorts of posts every day might see it as OT. I'm sorry if I offended. Similarly, if I misundersood masonuc's intent in his/her original post, I apologize.

Jesse
    Last edited by jberman; 02/08/2005 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Made gender non-specific :-)
    I think the key issue is that the carriers may be receiving pressure from the phone manufacturers since BB came out with the Nokia-looking 7100 device. RIM went from competing with Good, iSync, Seven, etc (the software guys) to competing with HP, Siemens, Motorola, LG, Samsung, etc. This may be causing the delay as well as the fact that all the initial information was showing that BB Connect was only supporting email (nothing else such as contacts and calendar) and that the security model was going to be different from the BB model for their devices. Can't swear to that, though.

(No, not pumping Good since your company doesn't support it, but they really should look at it as an alternative. Not to displace BB, but you show them the Treo, the CEO shows them his and there you go! )
  16.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    (No, not pumping Good since your company doesn't support it, but they really should look at it as an alternative. Not to displace BB, but you show them the Treo, the CEO shows them his and there you go! )
    You're preaching to the choir. I've been using Good for 18 months and would prefer to keep it. Not really an option right now. Have to go BB.
    Quote Originally Posted by jberman
    AHHHH!!! Please don't pounce on me. ... I'm sorry if I offended. Similarly, if I misundersood masonuc's intent in his/her original post, I apologize.

Jesse
    Bah, don't worry about it. I was moaning to myself more than anything else. :-) No harm meant.
    BBs are so overrated, it's not funny. They are a dying device and solution, now that there are other solutions out there (and the lawsuits against them will bankrupt them).

I found that email wasn't all that reliable...it was very good, but not better to a Treo and Snappermail. And the Treo is about a hundred times more functional for viewing attachments, etc.

Chatter isn't the the be all end all, but it provides part of a solution.

BB for Palm should have come out when the first Treo came out. now, it's just a dinosaur.

Goodlink has a good product, but they overpriced themselves out of the market. They should have partnered with Sprint and Cingular, but weren't smart enough to see the big carrier move as the way to go instead of ASP or direct to corporate sale.
    Attachment viewing on newer blackberries is great. It doesn't do native, but it does a lot (for isntance, PDFs). Enterprise support for Blackberry is superb, and the service humiliates anything on the Treo that is client based (with a redirector).
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast