Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    i really cant wait to use the bb software on any phone (other than a bb)...i would love to see the sk65 do it (as it has it at present)...but if/when palm gets the bb software..it would make the treo go from excellent to outstanding
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Goodlink has a good product, but they overpriced themselves out of the market. They should have partnered with Sprint and Cingular, but weren't smart enough to see the big carrier move as the way to go instead of ASP or direct to corporate sale.
    Not to turn this into a GoodLink promotion, but what are you basing "overpriced" on? Less than $20.00 a month for complete, real-time synchronization with ALL functions of Outlook/Exchange, IMHO, is not too expensive and with over 4,000 customers (companies, not subscribers. We don't release sub numbers), I am of the opinion we were "smart enough" with a direct sales model to establish ourselves. As for partnering agreements, there have been recent announcements by Verizon, Sprint promotes GoodLink on their website, Cingular's recent announcement of the 650 included references to GoodLink as a corporate email solution and HP announced GoodLink as a standard install on their new iPAQ. If you ask RIM who they are worried about or their biggest competitor, it is Good. Sure, Blackberry hammers through the carriers, but there are some major drawbacks to their model: 1) Support is offered through the carriers. Good provides all support as part of the subscription (including upgrades) so people don't have to call the carrier to support a product they don't develop, and 2) ask carrier reps what kind of sales support they get from RIM. Not much, if any. Good works closely with the carriers in a co-sell model. While not a true resell model like RIM, it is working very well and is, I think a great start to increase penetration into the market.

I know this got OT, but I did want to address your statement.
    Hey GoodGuy, thanks for the perspective. I'm considering Good myself, but I'm in the "waiting for GSM" queue. While you're here, why don't you lean on pa1mOne a bit for having you guys and the other vendors along on their roadshows, then putting you in the fine position of having to promote your software three months (possibly more) before the attendees get the hardware to run it?

Todd/Indy
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Not to turn this into a GoodLink promotion, but what are you basing "overpriced" on? Less than $20.00 a month for complete, real-time synchronization with ALL functions of Outlook/Exchange, IMHO, is not too expensive and with over 4,000 customers (companies, not subscribers. We don't release sub numbers), I am of the opinion we were "smart enough" with a direct sales model to establish ourselves. As for partnering agreements, there have been recent announcements by Verizon, Sprint promotes GoodLink on their website, Cingular's recent announcement of the 650 included references to GoodLink as a corporate email solution and HP announced GoodLink as a standard install on their new iPAQ. If you ask RIM who they are worried about or their biggest competitor, it is Good. Sure, Blackberry hammers through the carriers, but there are some major drawbacks to their model: 1) Support is offered through the carriers. Good provides all support as part of the subscription (including upgrades) so people don't have to call the carrier to support a product they don't develop, and 2) ask carrier reps what kind of sales support they get from RIM. Not much, if any. Good works closely with the carriers in a co-sell model. While not a true resell model like RIM, it is working very well and is, I think a great start to increase penetration into the market.

I know this got OT, but I did want to address your statement.
    I am a Good partner. Please don't quote $20/user when its not even realistic. The price is $330/year per user... unless you have 50 users or more on GoodLink. You also have to factor in that you need unlimited data as well. Remember, you also MUST HAVE MS Exchange server at your company to run GoodLink.

I agree though, GoodLink is not overpriced at all. GoodLink is also a supperior product to BB.
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    I am a Good partner. Please don't quote $20/user when its not even realistic. The price is $330/year per user... unless you have 50 users or more on GoodLink. You also have to factor in that you need unlimited data as well. Remember, you also MUST HAVE MS Exchange server at your company to run GoodLink.

I agree though, GoodLink is not overpriced at all. GoodLink is also a supperior product to BB.
    Actually, a two-year subscription, with a current promotion of buy a 24 month plan, get 4 months free, gets the price to $19.32 per month (yes, it is an annual subscription, but it works out to $19.32 a month). This can be with our minimum of 5 users and up.

Secondly, unlimited data plans are NOT required. The average user will use between 2 to 3 MB per month, power users 5-8MB. Depending on your carrier, this can make a substantial difference in total cost vs other solutions.
    Last edited by GoodGuy; 02/08/2005 at 10:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    Hey GoodGuy, thanks for the perspective. I'm considering Good myself, but I'm in the "waiting for GSM" queue. While you're here, why don't you lean on pa1mOne a bit for having you guys and the other vendors along on their roadshows, then putting you in the fine position of having to promote your software three months (possibly more) before the attendees get the hardware to run it?

Todd/Indy
    LOL. Believe me, Todd, I know. The entire 650 release was quite, shall we say, interesting, to say the least.
    While we're at this, is there a separate charge for the exchange server side of the Goodlink software? We're a small engineering company considering the jump to client/server setup and when we do so (probably before we get our GSM 650's) Good is at the top of my wish-list, if it's not cost-prohibitive.

Todd/Indy
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    While we're at this, is there a separate charge for the exchange server side of the Goodlink software? We're a small engineering company considering the jump to client/server setup and when we do so (probably before we get our GSM 650's) Good is at the top of my wish-list, if it's not cost-prohibitive.

Todd/Indy
    Todd, no, there is not charge for the GoodLink server. Only the subscriptions. As long as you are running MS Exchange, you can run GoodLink.
    LOL. Believe me, Todd, I know. The entire 650 release was quite, shall we say, interesting, to say the least.
    Can you elaborate? Not questioning you.....just want to hear a different perspective.
    no news on blackberry connect. I think this has just about crossed over into vaporware territory.
    goodlink it is. why would RIMM want to give BB connect to palm devices anyway? that would be a conflict of interests, wouldn't it? why get a BB when you could get a treo with BB email service, right?
    nah. I think rimm probably came to their senses and decided to just let this idea die a slow death.
    if im wrong, ill happily dine on crow. we'll see. I really doubt it though.
    Actually, a two-year subscription, with a current promotion of buy a 24 month plan, get 4 months free, gets the price to $19.32 per month (yes, it is an annual subscription, but it works out to $19.32 a month). This can be with our minimum of 5 users and up.

Secondly, unlimited data plans are NOT required. The average user will use between 2 to 3 MB per month, power users 5-8MB. Depending on your carrier, this can make a substantial difference in total cost vs other solutions.
    Ever seen what happends when one of these users go over a 8mb plan? Consider attachments etc, only a few attachments would go over even the smallest of plans. I have had customers who have tried this and 2-3 users going over the MB limit added over $1500 in use charges for a single month. Too risky in my opinion.

Yeah, there is a 2 year special.. but thats not what you said. If you are wondering why I said anything at all?? its not fun when you have customers who visit this board asking why they can't get $20 pricing on a 5user 1 year setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    Ever seen what happends when one of these users go over a 8mb plan? Consider attachments etc, only a few attachments would go over even the smallest of plans. I have had customers who have tried this and 2-3 users going over the MB limit added over $1500 in use charges for a single month. Too risky in my opinion.

Yeah, there is a 2 year special.. but thats not what you said. If you are wondering why I said anything at all?? its not fun when you have customers who visit this board asking why they can't get $20 pricing on a 5user 1 year setup.
    Farzonalmaneih..The administrator can restrict the size of attachments that are downloaded (or not allow them at all) to the device to conserve bandwidth. For strictly an email option, no attachments, the 2-3MB is sufficient. I agree, it can be risky and I tell my customers exactly that. The fact remains, however, that GoodLink utilizes much less bandwidth than a Blackberry solution.

As for pricing, I was responding to a comment about our pricing being too high. Even with 5 users on a one-year plan, which I personally never sell since the carriers typically are two-year commits as well, but with a 5 user, 1 year plan, which has a promotion of buy 12 months, get 2 free, it works out to $23.57 a month. No, not less than $20 like on a two year, but still not an expensive proposition. As for customers visiting this board asking why they can't get $20 on a 5 user set-up for one year, my answer would be that the $20 is for a two-year subscription, whereas a one-year works out to $23.57 a month.

This has gotten way off topic and isn't fair to people coming to this thread to discuss BB Connect, etc. I would be very happy to continue the discussion re GoodLink is the proper forum under another thread if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by GoodGuy; 02/08/2005 at 11:59 PM.
    This has gotten way off topic and isn't fair to people coming to this thread to discuss BB Connect, etc. I would be very happy to continue the discussion re GoodLink is the proper forum under another thread if anyone is interested.

Hey Goodguy,

Why don't you contact the T|C admin and setup a Goodlink Developer's forum here?! I'm sure it would greatly benefit the Treo community as well as yourself in terms of increased exposure for Goodlink on the Treo platform. There are soo many users here who come here to post their Goodlink questions and it's very hit or miss whether another user familiar with the software reads the message or can even answer it. It seems like Good is one of the most important solutions available for the Treo and it would only seem right that you guys had a permanant presence here on Treocentral! So what do you think Admin, don't you agree!!!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    So, five users is the absolute minimum for Goodlink within any one organization? Counts us out until we grow a tiny bit.

Todd/Indy
    Todd..

For the moment, yes, 5 users is the minimum. As I said in another post, we have done single user deals, but we have been told that we now must get management approval and there have to be major extenuating circumstances. Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Can you elaborate? Not questioning you.....just want to hear a different perspective.
    The "pre-announcement" of the 650 stalled sales quite a bit as people who were planning on deploying the 600 held off until the 650 was released. They saw it at the road show, heard about it and wanted to wait.
    They saw it at the road show, heard about it and wanted to wait.
    .....and wait ....and wait.

GoodGuy, you can say it. This has been a terrible rollout.
    Will good ever be releasing a version that will work with GroupWise, or is there not enough requests for this? I know alot of Universities that are Novel shops and would benefit greatly from this service. Currently we are looking at using Intellisync Enterprise server to push GWise email.
    Quote Originally Posted by emtnky
    Will good ever be releasing a version that will work with GroupWise, or is there not enough requests for this? I know alot of Universities that are Novel shops and would benefit greatly from this service. Currently we are looking at using Intellisync Enterprise server to push GWise email.
    If I had to hit one thing I truly, truly wish we had, it would be support for Notes and Groupwise. Word at the water cooler is next year at the earliest.
    How about Good releasing a desktop redirector? I know, a snowball's chance...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast