1.    #1  
    I've noticed that the Treo 270 is running about $50-100 on eBay. Since I don't like any of T-Mobile's phones right now, I'm considering buying a 270 to kill time so I can save my "cheap phone with new contract" until the T-Mobile Treo 650 is available. Do you think I can get 7-8 months out of a 270?

Bree
    Absolutely, if you get a good one. My original 270 is still my "daily driver". I've also been waiting for a worthy T-M device and I don't see anything coming soon.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Wow, my thoughts exactly. I bought a 270 off e-bay in Nov. I've been happy with it, as I too wait for my perfect smart phone to be released/invented.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Just curious: what features do you feel the 650 is missing? I'm using a 270 on T-Mo, and I ordered a 650 from ViennaChannels at the NYC show. If it ever shows up, I'm expecting it to be as close as anything can be to the perfect smartphone.
    It's not about features. Personally, I prefer a flip phone design, and I am willing to do without the keyboard for a slightly larger screen. I don't do a lot of data entry on the road, kind of stuff. But I am really holding out for a clamshell design, hence the 270. Oh, and it has to be a Palm OS.

Demitria
    Quote Originally Posted by emen8
    Just curious: what features do you feel the 650 is missing? I'm using a 270 on T-Mo, and I ordered a 650 from ViennaChannels at the NYC show. If it ever shows up, I'm expecting it to be as close as anything can be to the perfect smartphone.
    There are plenty of threads currently on the 650 board to give you a sense of complaints. Start with this sticky: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=66196 and go on to others on re-setting, volume, unstable apps, etc. Frankly, this is silly and sad for a third-generation device. So it's not only what is missing, but what you're getting, especially compared to what you have. My first-generation one works fine (although after 2.5 years, I just lost my original stylus). The 650 does have three big improvements over the 270 and even the 600: a replaceable battery, a better screen, and what looks like a better keyboard (than the 600) that I haven't tried. (I still prefer the original 270 keyboard with the rocker switch wheel).

But the 270 was my first Palm OS device and I got it only because it was such a pathbreaking device. I just don't like the OS much and improvements in it seem so limited to me. I like the advances in WinMobile and Symbian platforms including the superior built-in apps and the third-party options. I've owned an iPAQ 2215 since last spring. I know there are "1000s of apps" for the PalmOS, but all I need is a few excellent, stable ones. As for missing, I'd say first, being stable and relatively problem-free, then built-in wi-fi, strong built-in apps, and the capacity to run software I consider top-notch (Voice Command and Pocket Informant, for instance). That said, if T-M comes out with an improved 650 with lower SAR ratings -or a 700, or a WinTreo-, I'd consider it because the Treo still has as much potential as anything out there.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.