1.    #1  
    I did not upgrade from a 600. The thing has reset many times and frozen twice. I know it is mostly caused by third party apps but if it were more stable it would not be such a problem. I fond verichat causes this a lot but i need this app. I use it alot for aim and yahoo and this is so frustrating. I think windows 3.1 is more stable. What good is a device were i can hardly run any third party apps.
    I have the Sprint version and yes it is buggy too. I love mine and would not get rid of it, but it is without a doubt the most unstable Palm I have ever owned. (Palm user since 1997, Palm Personal, Professional, III, IIIx, TRGPro, M505, M515, Clie NR-70, T|T, T|C, T|3, Treo 600, Treo 650 and some PocketPC's)

Yes, admittedly some third party software can set this machine in a tizzy, but it is still the most unstable Palm I have ever owned. No Palm I have ever owned was this touchy about installing software, HotSyncing, low-memory, etc.

Love it, not going to return it, would like them to fix it, or else I will live with it until the next thing that catches my eye.
  3.    #3  
    Yea it is the coolest gadget on the market. Just hope it does not do the reset when im showing it off to someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by richard371
    Yea it is the coolest gadget on the market. Just hope it does not do the reset when im showing it off to someone.
    LOL. hahahaha Yeah, that would be something.
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Damn, the GSM version is also unstable? That royally sucks. I hope the unlocked isn't the same.
    Palm III -> Sony Clie 73V + Sony Ericsson 610 -> Sony Ericcson P900 -> Nokia 6600 + IPAQ 4150 -> Treo 650 -> BenQ P50 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> HTC Titan (Sprint Mogul)
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    I have only had a reset when I tried to use something not compatible. My T600 reset every day for various reasons. One would be if I got an SMS or Verichat msg while I was clicking on a program...

My 650 has been great. Richard, I dont see how the 650 should be more stable so incompatible apps wont reset it???
  7.    #7  
    If you had a more stable OS then if the app crashed the os would not like windows xp or unix based systems.
    Been there, done that...Has reset more then once showing it off, whoops! Reminds me of my PocketPC's!!!
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    really? every reset I've had I've been able to trace back to some function of software that's not compatible with the new FS. Personally, It's been pretty solid for me, after 2 days of playing with it and tweaking apps and figuring out what works and doesn't. Apps that would always cause a hard crash now just error and continue. Once most of the apps get re-written for the new FS it should be even better.

now I'm not a good candidate for joe average user since I have so 100+ programs, 200mp3s, and 8 years of junk collected up to my TT2 that I've moved over
    I did not upgrade from a 600. The thing has reset many times and frozen twice. I know it is mostly caused by third party apps but if it were more stable it would not be such a problem. I fond verichat causes this a lot but i need this app. I use it alot for aim and yahoo and this is so frustrating. I think windows 3.1 is more stable. What good is a device were i can hardly run any third party apps.
    To avoid this users of T650 should start a thread explaining how each person avoided unstablilty. They can also offer helpful advice, like not installing whole lot of apps at the same time and etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by allonon
    really? every reset I've had I've been able to trace back to some function of software that's not compatible with the new FS. Personally, It's been pretty solid for me, after 2 days of playing with it and tweaking apps and figuring out what works and doesn't. Apps that would always cause a hard crash now just error and continue. Once most of the apps get re-written for the new FS it should be even better.

now I'm not a good candidate for joe average user since I have so 100+ programs, 200mp3s, and 8 years of junk collected up to my TT2 that I've moved over
    Yep, I am puzzled too as to why some users such as yourself report a stable device. I trace my errors, crashes and the like a variety of ways. I too am a power-user (as it were) and a palm user since 1997. I did a fresh install from the beginning, watch my software installation fanatically, etc.

Most unstable Palm I've owned since 1997. And it is NOT third party software.
    Have had my Sprint Treo 650 since early December. Initially had some Hot Sync issues related to Butler and Agendus mail. I backed up my data to a SD card, did a hard reset. I reinstalled all programs except Agendus mail and have not had a problem since. I am running Shadowmite's Rom #3, Agendus Pro, Docs to Go Pro, BackupBuddyVFS, Butler, MobileDB, PDANet, PTunes Pro, RadioOnOff, SplashID, VersaMail, and Zlauncher.
    My work around for Agendus Pro 9.02 + 650 was to use Agendus Mail (currently in ROM). Otherwise the native SMS would cause Agendus to crash (repeatedly and consistently). I am curious as what your work around was being that you are not using Agendus Mail.

Quote Originally Posted by PCStreo
    Have had my Sprint Treo 650 since early December. Initially had some Hot Sync issues related to Butler and Agendus mail. I backed up my data to a SD card, did a hard reset. I reinstalled all programs except Agendus mail and have not had a problem since. I am running Shadowmite's Rom #3, Agendus Pro, Docs to Go Pro, BackupBuddyVFS, Butler, MobileDB, PDANet, PTunes Pro, RadioOnOff, SplashID, VersaMail, and Zlauncher.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    In the past week or so I have also started having soft resets often. It was driving me nuts. Nothing had changed from a software perspective.

I finally figured out the problem. It has a loose battery. The slightest movment will set it off at times. Other times, it is fine. It makes sense really. The battery is held down against the battery cover with a small black piece of foam. I just think it has lost a little of it's spring. I have a small folded piece of paper in there now to help keep the battery pressed against the contacts. So far it seems to have fixed it.

Poor design IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid
    ...Most unstable Palm I've owned since 1997. And it is NOT third party software.
    I would suggest taking yours back if it isn't third-party software related. All the resets I've had can be traced back to third-party apps (with the exception of a few Blazer resets due to Java Script errors). My 650 isn't any more unstable than the 600 or the 300 before that. All of them have had issues with some standard third-party palm apps due to the unique nature of the Treo device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmster
    My work around for Agendus Pro 9.02 + 650 was to use Agendus Mail (currently in ROM). Otherwise the native SMS would cause Agendus to crash (repeatedly and consistently). I am curious as what your work around was being that you are not using Agendus Mail.
    Ohmster:
    Once I deleted Agendus mail, I went into Agendus menu chose Options...Preferences...choose Miscellaneous. In this screen I was able to select Versamail as an option for the email drop down box.
    Prior to deleting Agendus Mail, I was not able to choose any email client other than Agendus Mail. I would assume that if you have Snappermail, after deleting Agendus Mail, Snappermail would show as an option.
    I kept mine from resetting by keeping my 3rd party apps to a minimum. Even if the program can reside on the SD card it still uses your system memory to run and that's when things get quirky. Trying to squeeze 7 or 8 mb to run programs is not my idea of productivity. PalmOne should have increased the memory for the T650 to be more stable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac128k
    In the past week or so I have also started having soft resets often. It was driving me nuts. Nothing had changed from a software perspective.

I finally figured out the problem. It has a loose battery. The slightest movment will set it off at times. Other times, it is fine. It makes sense really. The battery is held down against the battery cover with a small black piece of foam. I just think it has lost a little of it's spring. I have a small folded piece of paper in there now to help keep the battery pressed against the contacts. So far it seems to have fixed it.

Poor design IMHO.
    Yes!!!! The battery thing is the answer. I found a piece of the black foam from an old memory upgrade package and everything seems better.

Time will tell.

David
    I had no problems toggling it to the native program with AM installed. With AM deleted and every SMS setting on the device set to native, it would still crash. Very curious....

Quote Originally Posted by PCStreo
    Ohmster:
    Once I deleted Agendus mail, I went into Agendus menu chose Options...Preferences...choose Miscellaneous. In this screen I was able to select Versamail as an option for the email drop down box.
    Prior to deleting Agendus Mail, I was not able to choose any email client other than Agendus Mail. I would assume that if you have Snappermail, after deleting Agendus Mail, Snappermail would show as an option.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more