1.    #1  
    I am a novice at with my new 650 so forgive me if this is a stupid question with an obvious answer. I have the Treo 650 with Cingular with the Media Works (unlimited). I want to be able to receive my office emails on my Treo when I'm out of the office on the road (and synchronization with my calendar and contacts would be bonus but not absolutely necessary). Our corporate email application on our desktop computers is Novell Groupwise. What do I need to do to make this all work properly/how do I set this up? Is Intellisynch's Handheld Edition the software solution I need?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris
  2.    #2  
    Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansen-C
    I am a novice at with my new 650 so forgive me if this is a stupid question with an obvious answer. I have the Treo 650 with Cingular with the Media Works (unlimited). I want to be able to receive my office emails on my Treo when I'm out of the office on the road (and synchronization with my calendar and contacts would be bonus but not absolutely necessary). Our corporate email application on our desktop computers is Novell Groupwise. What do I need to do to make this all work properly/how do I set this up? Is Intellisynch's Handheld Edition the software solution I need?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris
    There are different levels of solutions for this, depending on how elegant you want it to be, how much money you have (and want) to spend, and how cooperative your IT department is. I'll give the easiest, then the most common, then some broad suggestions for others.

One "out of the package" solution is to use the Versamail application that came with the Treo, and set it either to a POP3 or IMAP connection. POP3 will be the easiest to set up, and what I would recommend for a novice. This will get you email, but no calendar synchronization. Also, there are a couple of caveats. It will only work if your GroupWise system administrator allows POP3 (or IMAP) connections. You'll need to check on that. Also, email sent from the Treo will not be tracked within the GroupWise system, IE, mail sent to internal users will not show tracking information (time deliverered, time opened, time deleted, etc).

Another "out of the package" solution is to use the browser built in to the Treo, and go to the web based GroupWise site. Again, your IT department should be able to give you information on this. The advantage to this is that you get almost full functionality of the GroupWise sytem. All "standard" GroupWise functions are there, including calandering, and even viewing documents (if your company uses GroupWise's document management).

All that said, if you want to synchronize information between your GroupWise system and the Treo, there are add-on products you can use. First of all, please note that Novell is very near to releasing their own (presumably free) synchronization client. It's in beta right now, and unfortunately, the beta does not work with the 6.0.1 version of HotSync (the version that comes with the Treo 650). They are working on it though.

I use Intellisync, and have for years (for my Palm OS products, various mfg's and models). While this theoretically works for email as well, I don't recommend using it for that on the Treo 650, since it has ready internet access. I use it only to synchronize my address book, and calendar events. It works very well for that. There is also Syncwise from Toffa software that does a nice job as well, but I paid for Intellisync long before it came out, and have stuck with that.

Finally, there are third party workstation and even server technologies that use "push techonolgy" to sync information with any internet enabled device and GroupWise. Basically, these have their own GroupWise client that runs on the device. When a message is received on the GroupWise system, the server sends an SMS to your device, when sends a small version of the message. When you select to receive the whole message, it synchronizes with the GroupWise system.

The major problem with that last option is cost (expect to pay a license fee of approximately $100 a year for each person using it, not all users on the system have to use it), and the server would likely have to be set up by your IT department.

Hope this all helps. By the way, I AM available for consulting gigs
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansen-C

Thanks in advance,
    Chris
    Notify link, JP Mobile or use Imap which GW supports.

Intellisync is awful and does not support wireless.
    I found several issues trying to use Versamail's IMAP functionality with GroupWise. To be fair, it may be to the large amount of data I retain on my GroupWise system, but FWIW, that's my experience.

Here's what I use.
    Versamail POP3 for just checking email.
    The GroupWise web client for emails that I want the GroupWise system to track (I have the GroupWise system send me an SMS for emails from clients)
    Intellisync to synchronize calendar events, ToDo lists, and Contacts.
    This combination has worked well with me through 6 different versions of "connected" Palm OS devices, the Handera 330 (with a CF modem), Sony Clie (with a wireless card), Treo 270, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I use SnapperMail enterprise to access my institution's Groupwise IMAP server (use latest version; earlier ones had some issues with Groupwise servers) . Works great, and allows multiple folder syncing, remote delete of mail from the server, downloading/uploading attachments (with Docs to Go). Does not put your sent mail into server, so you have to bcc yourself to have it on the server. Occasionally I use web-based access (usually to find old messages or access corporate address book), but it is cumbersome to use. I use Intellisync to sync calendar, contacts - haven't used wireless syncing. I have just installed a trial of Chatter, mostly for "push", but found out our server does not support it, so I am currently exploring a workaround.

hparsons, mind sharing your settings in VersaMail? We just got GroupWise at work and I am trying to figure out how to get my life back to normal again.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons
    I found several issues trying to use Versamail's IMAP functionality with GroupWise. To be fair, it may be to the large amount of data I retain on my GroupWise system, but FWIW, that's my experience.

Here's what I use.
    Versamail POP3 for just checking email.
    The GroupWise web client for emails that I want the GroupWise system to track (I have the GroupWise system send me an SMS for emails from clients)
    Intellisync to synchronize calendar events, ToDo lists, and Contacts.
    This combination has worked well with me through 6 different versions of "connected" Palm OS devices, the Handera 330 (with a CF modem), Sony Clie (with a wireless card), Treo 270, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650.