Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Installed LauncherX and I'm loving it!

It's VERY easy to setup and a very clean user interface - AND no crashes

Benefits to ME in using LauncherX:

* I can easily get my applications that are on Internal as well as the Card in the same screen without having shortcuts setup (a little mini-icon next to them indicates if they are on the card). Great!!

* Tabbed folders. Great!

* A really nice file management tool for moving/copying files between internal and card and different folders. Simple and easy to use.

Here's a screen shot of my setup (Main) is my tab where I keep the applications that I use the most.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Is the center button of the 5-way active yet? This is the only issue keeping me from using this. DO not want to use the stylus if I can avoid it. Thanks
  3.    #3  
    Yes and No

Let me try to explain....

You're browsing the tabs using the four directional keys...you see an application you want to launch.

You now have two options to launch it;
    a) to tap on it (stylus or finger) - I use my finger, or
    b) type the first letter of the application and you are now moved into the tab content and can navigate around there. Instead of launching the application with the center button you launch it with the 'return'-key. The center button returns you to the tabs to move around amongst them.

So much easier to do than to explain...
    Hey thanks...will give it a whirl!
    Is this a free program? Where can I get this? Also, is it like a front page program that shows you sms received, to do's, appointments, etc.? Lastly, is that your real picture? You're so pretty
  6.    #6  
    Len, cool - let me know if you end up liking it. Oh - I also like that I can drag and drop files to other tabs or to the trashcan.

manilenio, it's not a free program - I think it's about 18 dollars. Their site is here: http://www.launcherx.com/

It's not a front page really - it's a launcher that allows you to structure your applications in tabs, etc

And, eh yes, that's my photo but did you notice my huge elephant ears?
    Tif,

I have tried other launchers as well (Megalauncher, ZLauncher, Facer, HiLauncher, etc.) and I always come back to LX. I have been using it since my T600 and still digging it. Top reason is the clean interface. My only peeve is the slow updates (I know the head creator recently passed away) and the center button not working. I am living with your workaround now but it is not true one-handed usability!
  8.    #8  
    Ok..better..hid my ears under a hat in my avatar

Frenzy, yeah I tried Zlauncher and some others as well..they were too much/cluttered to me. LauncherX is just what I wanted..I install it, structure how I want things and then it just becomes a very intuitive launcher/file manager. Love it.
    I have used LauncherX in the past, and debated between LauncherX and Zlauncher. I finally chose Zlauncher because it is still actively supported by the developers, and because I saved a couple of bucks buying it on sale at Palmgear. Zlauncher is on sale through Palmgear at $17.95 through Feb 10.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    I've always like L-X's interface better, and have a purchased copy. If, and when, the center button issue is fixed I may use it again. But I'm using ZLauncher now for two reasons: first, I need a memory manager to move apps and databases to the card anyway, and I'd rather use 1 app than two (L-X and PowerRun); second, the button problem with L-X. The workaround above works, but I don't think I should have to adapt to a non-standard application. The app should (and hopefully will) adapt to the device.

And ZLauncher's not that bad, if you spend a little time customizing the interface. By removing some elements from the top bar, hiding the bottom bar except when needed, and using no wallpaper, I've got an interface which is just about as clean as L-X.

edit: I just noticed on PalmGear that there's a Launcher-X skin for ZLauncher!
    Last edited by meyerweb; 02/08/2005 at 12:43 PM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I am awaiting my unlocked 650 and I've been gathering info on apps to purchase. It sounds like LauncherX and Zlauncher are both good. I would really like some type of Today or front page screen to view appointments, to do's, etc...at a glance. It's mentioned above that LauncherX does not provide this type of feature. Does Zlauncher provide something like this?
    Quote Originally Posted by daygo718
    I am awaiting my unlocked 650 and I've been gathering info on apps to purchase. It sounds like LauncherX and Zlauncher are both good. I would really like some type of Today or front page screen to view appointments, to do's, etc...at a glance. It's mentioned above that LauncherX does not provide this type of feature. Does Zlauncher provide something like this?
    Yes, ZLauncher has a built-in Today page function.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    I've always like L-X's interface better, and have a purchased copy. If, and when, the center button issue is fixed I may use it again. But I'm using ZLauncher now for two reasons: first, I need a memory manager to move apps and databases to the card anyway, and I'd rather use 1 app than two (L-X and PowerRun); second, the button problem with L-X. The workaround above works, but I don't think I should have to adapt to a non-standard application. The app should (and hopefully will) adapt to the device.

And ZLauncher's not that bad, if you spend a little time customizing the interface. By removing some elements from the top bar, hiding the bottom bar except when needed, and using no wallpaper, I've got an interface which is just about as clean as L-X.

edit: I just noticed on PalmGear that there's a Launcher-X skin for ZLauncher!
    I am a long time LauncherX proponent, but with the release of the Treo 650 I have had to say so long to this old friend. LauncherX alas does not play well with the 5 way center select which for me is a total show stopper. Yes, you can use the enter button, but that is counter-intuitive for me.

It also does not show the Signal Strength meter nor bluetooth.

I loved LX for so long, it was hard to let it go, but ZL has filled in nicely.

The apologists over at PlanetLauncherX try to say that LX is completely compatible with the 650, but I beg to differ. They will use LX until there dying days and ignore anything that is in the negative.

LX on a T|3 or a Treo 600 was fast, stable (Rock-Solid) and had a great simple interface. Well thought out and coded perfectly it was indeed a really extraordinary piece of coding.

Sadly, with the tragic loss of the primary coder, the product has languished and has been surpassed by other Launchers.

If, and I do mean if, it is ever updated I will likely run back to it, but for now I am not holding my breath.
  14.    #14  
    Matty,

I think it depends on the skin you're using in LauncherX if you see signal strength, etc
    In my attachment (first post here) you can see an example of a skin I'm using that shows signal strength, battery and memory for instance.

My feelings exactly. Purchased and loved LX, but because of the Center button issue, I was forced to use ZL and now I'm learning to like it. I made my ZL look less cluttery and now it looks simple and user-friendly as LX.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    Matty,

I think it depends on the skin you're using in LauncherX if you see signal strength, etc
    In my attachment (first post here) you can see an example of a skin I'm using that shows signal strength, battery and memory for instance.
    Duly noted, I would love to have LX back, I just can't bear the loss of my center select button.

Some of the support people, (who are absolutely fanatical about LX, and thus are excellent at their volunteer/part-time job) have indicated that development, although slowed, is on-going. I truly hope so, as LX was a really awesome launcher.

I am however, extremely skeptical. Even when the primary developer (Bozidar Benc) was actively working on the software, updates and version releases were few, far between and lacking promised features.

Here is one case where I truely hope I am wrong, but I doubt we'll see a service release anytime soon.

A shame too, as I dabble in code and I know that there is not much to do, to make LX truely 650 friendly.
    Will Lau of SnapperMail bought LX from the original author's widow..so maybe we will eventually see an update
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    ... first, I need a memory manager to move apps and databases to the card anyway, and I'd rather use 1 app than two (L-X and PowerRun);...
    LauncherX is also a memory manager in that it will let you move apps and data to your card and run the app from the card (moving it to RAM to run). Why would you need PowerRun with LauncherX?
    [QUOTE=Tiffany]Ok..better..hid my ears under a hat in my avatar

you look like this certain hong kong actress and no, your ears didn't stand out too much to make you look bad in any way.

I'll probably try it some time... Thanks for the link!
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    A fix to enable the center button for LauncherX has been posted in this thread!

Do It Yourself hackers see posts #11 and #25. A pre-hacked LauncherX_v1.1.1.prc has been posted in #33.

Multiple users so far and no complaints.

ERic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast