Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just took my 650 on an extended trip from Philly to Jacksonville for the superbowl. My hope was that I'd have reliable internet in the car for my laptop. Boy was that an understatement. It was nearly perfect the entire way. I had great coverage the whole way and only had to reset my treo 3 times to restore the connection. I was even able to play a little World of Warcraft along the way. I played for 45 minutes before the server kicked me. It even worked in okefenokee national refuge.

Once I got to the stadium I used my gps to set a waypoint where I hid all my stuff that I couldn't get through security. I easily found the stuff and my car after the game was over.

During the game I must have gotten 50 text messages/emails/calls all of which came through perfectly. I also sent a bunch of phone photos. My brother and the guy sitting next to me had verizon and they had horrible reception. Mine (sprint) ranged from 2 to 4 bars the whole game.

In the end, I couldn't imagine how fun it was to drive with my super high end laptop with a super reliable internet connection. The hours just melted away. This is why I bought the phone and now I'm so happy i did.

-BT
    Your experience is similar to mine.
    I was just out of the city for half a day and my Treo 650 was used for;
    - Phone calls (well it IS a phone after all) ,
    - Wrote and received maybe 10-15 emails that I was really happy I could get to while being there,
    - Listened to streaming shoutcast through ptunes (love this feature),
    - Chatted a lot through Verichat
    - Surfed the web searching for - and found - information about something I was going to buy
    - Took a few photos and sent back to friends

Not a single reset and it all worked really, really well. Great phone!

(After turning off bluetooth my battery life is muuuch better)
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
    I just took my 650 on an extended trip from Philly to Jacksonville for the superbowl. My hope was that I'd have reliable internet in the car for my laptop. Boy was that an understatement. It was nearly perfect the entire way. I had great coverage the whole way and only had to reset my treo 3 times to restore the connection. I was even able to play a little World of Warcraft along the way. I played for 45 minutes before the server kicked me. It even worked in okefenokee national refuge.

Once I got to the stadium I used my gps to set a waypoint where I hid all my stuff that I couldn't get through security. I easily found the stuff and my car after the game was over.

During the game I must have gotten 50 text messages/emails/calls all of which came through perfectly. I also sent a bunch of phone photos. My brother and the guy sitting next to me had verizon and they had horrible reception. Mine (sprint) ranged from 2 to 4 bars the whole game.

In the end, I couldn't imagine how fun it was to drive with my super high end laptop with a super reliable internet connection. The hours just melted away. This is why I bought the phone and now I'm so happy i did.

-BT
    Well lets see some of those photos
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  4.    #4  
    Sorry, I already purged them. I also brought my high end digital slr camera so I kept those.

BTW, I read a bunch of articles that said Jacksonville was going to be completely unprepared for the event. I have to say it was an extremely pleasant experience. The crowds were well dispersed, stuff was easy to get to and the city was cleaned up really well. Very impressed.
    The disturbing thing about this is it seemed bad enough dealing with people driving and distracted by their cell phones. Now I have to worry about a guy distracted finishing a quest in WoW while weaving through traffic.

Lovely.

At least comfort us and tell us you managed to level and get your mount whilst running grandma off the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelonius
    The disturbing thing about this is it seemed bad enough dealing with people driving and distracted by their cell phones. Now I have to worry about a guy distracted finishing a quest in WoW while weaving through traffic.

Lovely.

At least comfort us and tell us you managed to level and get your mount whilst running grandma off the road.

Just because you don't have any friends to go roadtripping with you doesn't me HE doesn't have a friend to act as driver!
    -BT
    Congrats on a stellar "Treoing" adventure!

Out of curiosity, what GPS solution (hardware/software) are you using? That's the next step for me on my brand new Sprint 650.

Thanks,
    Adam
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Tiffany, do you have the Sprint 650 or the GSM 650?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by cschmelz
    Just because you don't have any friends to go roadtripping with you doesn't me HE doesn't have a friend to act as driver!
    lol, too funny. I went with my brother who works for NFL Films.
    Last edited by BIGtrouble77; 02/08/2005 at 12:31 PM.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ad-Rok
    Congrats on a stellar "Treoing" adventure!

Out of curiosity, what GPS solution (hardware/software) are you using? That's the next step for me on my brand new Sprint 650.

Thanks,
    Adam
    I use the delorme bluelogger gps. I use it because I can export topographical maps to the phone for hiking plus it has extensive logging features. I wouldn't recommend it for driving directions(it can't recalculate on the fly in the pda version).

It seems TomTom is the best for that(plus you can see the road in a perspective view). I think you can use Blue Logger with TomTom, though. I want to try it before I buy TomTom.
    I use the delorme bluelogger gps. ... I wouldn't recommend it for driving directions(it can't recalculate on the fly in the pda version).
    thanks for mentioning that. I was just about to buy one and now I'll rethink it.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Minc, I have the Sprint Treo 650. Works great for me.
    Awesome trip report BT77, congrats... Now, what stuff didn't security let you through with, and where did you hide it? Did you just bury junk in the forest somewhere?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    Awesome trip report BT77, congrats... Now, what stuff didn't security let you through with, and where did you hide it? Did you just bury junk in the forest somewhere?
    They wouldn't let any cases in whatsoever, one of the guards said it was because of the material- women were allowed to take in HUGE purses tho. I had a small case for my camera lens attached to my belt. I tried to convince them it was a man-purse to no avail.

I was pretty upset I couldn't take it as my lens' are around $1000. I found a bush under the monorail to hide it. I was suprised they didn't ask any questions with all my electronic equipment.

-BT
    They wouldn't let any cases in whatsoever, one of the guards said it was because of the material- women were allowed to take in HUGE purses tho. I had a small case for my camera lens attached to my belt. I tried to convince them it was a man-purse to no avail.

I was pretty upset I couldn't take it as my lens' are around $1000. I found a bush under the monorail to hide it. I was suprised they didn't ask any questions with all my electronic equipment.

-BT
    You buried $1000 worth of lenses under a bush??? You are lucky that the case was still sitting there when you got back.

You probably would've been better off just bribing the guard a couple hundred than hoping that your lenses would've still been there.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    You buried $1000 worth of lenses under a bush??? You are lucky that the case was still sitting there when you got back.

You probably would've been better off just bribing the guard a couple hundred than hoping that your lenses would've still been there.
    I should have mentioned that I kept the lenses with me. There's no way I would have buried them. Fortunately the lens' fit perfectly in my cup holder. I had a 300mm telephoto lens and a 14mm wide angle lens.
    I should have mentioned that I kept the lenses with me. There's no way I would have buried them. Fortunately the lens' fit perfectly in my cup holder. I had a 300mm telephoto lens and a 14mm wide angle lens.
    That was kinda an important piece of info left off the story.

I dunno, maybe I read it wrong.

At any rate, I feel much better about your sanity now.
    Did you have a case for your Treo that you also had to bury?
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    Did you have a case for your Treo that you also had to bury?
    Nah, I have that S650 Skin Case. If I had one of those cases that strap to your belt then I'd probably be in some trouble. Did you get in with a case?
    Get in? A few years ago I didn't even know that the Superbowl was about football

I'm a design-techno-democratic-geek - not really into sports
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast