Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Glad to hear it's not just me. The volume is way low. I have a bluetooth headset on its way, perhaps that will be a bandaid.
    current: GSM Unlocked, SonyEricsson T610 Unlocked
    macuser: AI 1.5 & Pismo 500
    I was in a bar last night after work and i was able to hear and be heard fine on my unlocked 650. I do wish it was a little louder but its good enough. I am sure if this is a serious problem Treo will release a patch or a new hardware version. If so I will wait and once there is a fix I will complain to treo and have them fix or replace it then (within the 1 year wnty). In the meantime this thing is way to cool to give up. If I go to a realy loud club etc i'll pop the sim into my moto v600. Thank god for GSM.
    clean the wax out of your ears.
    I have the same problem. I had a Sony P900. The sound was great. My Treo 650 is barely audible outside and I have to call back people often to be able to hear what they say! I am returning my TREO. The speakerphone doest not seem to work either. At times you have to be less than a foot away to hear it !!!!!!! Putting the sound at maximum volume also creates an annoying buzz !
    I have been reading this Treocentral discussions since I was waiting for the 600 to be released. I have enjoyed reading this blog more than any other casual reading for a long time without ever posting a word.
    The Treo 600 has been great. I add applications, customize, listen to music take quick reference photo for work and life and check email all day.

I purchased the new GSM TREO 650 and was one of the first to receive it from Palmone. I loaded up all my favorite applications. Beamed all my data (instead of a sync upgrade) organized, read everything I could on the web and found out the hard way that the lists of compatible software are generally correct. The hard-resets, soft-resets, looping-resets losing my favorite programs, the lousy bluetooth....I could live with all that. But...
    I COULDN'T HEAR PEOPLE ON THE PHONE!!!
    I was constantly trying to turn the volume up. The speaker phone was even worse. I thought "this must just be my phone" Nope. Everyone seems to have low volume levels. uuuuuuuhhhhh.....GOODBYE.
    SOLD!!! I sold it after 5 days of torture for more than I paid.

Going back to my 600 full time was like going back to a great girlfriend I almost left. I have fallen in love again. NO PROBLEMS. Email in a flash (Versamail is lame!!!), AOL software works, Webpro runs circles around Blazer, my 600 is loud, clear, crisp...with a working speakerphone.
    It's a PHONE! At very least it should do that perfectly. You can get a fantastic phone practically for free from any service.
    THE TREO 650 IS NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME....AT ALL.

I AM BUYING MY BACK-UP TREO 600 TONIGHT.

It will be a long time before the volume problem is fixed (either software or hardware....who knows) That's the make-or-brake. The other problems will have various fixes. Aftermarket products that help. Programs re-written. Until then.....The Treo 600 rocks-on.
    HANDWOUND TREO

SHARP CALCULATOR>SHARP ORGANIZERS>PALM PILOT>PALM Vs>SONY CLIE>BLACKBERRY>SONY UX50>TUNGSTEN C & W>TREO 600>TREO650
    I have been reading this Treocentral discussions since I was waiting for the 600 to be released. I have enjoyed reading this blog more than any other casual reading for a long time without ever posting a word.
    The Treo 600 has been great. I add applications, customize, listen to music take quick reference photo for work and life and check email all day.

I purchased the new GSM TREO 650 and was one of the first to receive it from Palmone. I loaded up all my favorite applications. Beamed all my data (instead of a sync upgrade) organized, read everything I could on the web and found out the hard way that the lists of compatible software are generally correct. The hard-resets, soft-resets, looping-resets losing my favorite programs, the lousy bluetooth....I could live with all that. But...
    I COULDN'T HEAR PEOPLE ON THE PHONE!!!
    I was constantly trying to turn the volume up. The speaker phone was even worse. I thought "this must just be my phone" Nope. Everyone seems to have low volume levels. uuuuuuuhhhhh.....GOODBYE.
    SOLD!!! I sold it after 5 days of torture for more than I paid.

Going back to my 600 full time was like going back to a great girlfriend I almost left. I have fallen in love again. NO PROBLEMS. Email in a flash (Versamail is lame!!!), AOL software works, Webpro runs circles around Blazer, my 600 is loud, clear, crisp...with a working speakerphone.
    It's a PHONE! At very least it should do that perfectly. You can get a fantastic phone practically for free from any service.
    THE TREO 650 IS NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME....AT ALL.

I AM BUYING MY BACK-UP TREO 600 TONIGHT.

It will be a long time before the volume problem is fixed (either software or hardware....who knows) That's the make-or-brake. The other problems will have various fixes. Aftermarket products that help. Programs re-written. Until then.....The Treo 600 rocks-on.
    HANDWOUND TREO

SHARP CALCULATOR>SHARP ORGANIZERS>PALM PILOT>PALM Vs>SONY CLIE>BLACKBERRY>SONY UX50>TUNGSTEN C & W>TREO 600>TREO650
    For me, the sound does seem to be a little soft and in situations with background noise it does become difficult to hear.

In those cases, I put on the speakerphone and turn the phone around and put the speakerphone output against my ear. Then it's audible for me even at a less than full volume setting.

That can't be good for battery life though....
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
    Sorry to cross-post, but see this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=74425

There are differences among 650s
  9. j2_
    Quote Originally Posted by busyba
    In those cases, I put on the speakerphone and turn the phone around and put the speakerphone output against my ear. Then it's audible for me even at a less than full volume setting.

That can't be good for battery life though....
    Clever kludge. I'll have to try it.

I also find the volume barely adequate at the loudest settings. It works for in the car, and in a fairly quiet office environment, but on the street it's not really loud enough all the time.

Also, I find the speakerphone nearly useless because it won't get loud enough to use unless you're in a very quiet room.
    palmOne Treo 650 unlocked GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by maccool
    I've never owed a Treo before the 650, but I can say for sure that the earpiece on this unit is way too low to use while in a noisy environment. Interestingly though, when using my Bluetooth headset the volume is as loud as it was with my SE T610. Hmmm. Hopefully, palmOne (or someone else) will create a patch for this.
    What is the make and model of the headset that worked well for you?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12