1.    #1  
    This is confusing to me. I want to purchase a 512MB Memory Expansion card. Yet there's really nothing in the descriptions of such (anywhere!) to distinguish the tiny postage stamp SD card from the semi larger ones used in digital cameras that definitely will not fit the Treo 650.

I found this one: http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/de...pno~295990.asp at the PC Mall.

Is that the right size and if so how the hell do you tell? It says nothing about speed either, and that's a whole nother issue I'm dealing with. I don't want to watch movies or videos or read books on my cell phone, but I would like for it to cover a 4-hour plane trip as an MP3 player, so I want it to hold at least 4 hours of music. I'm learning how to cut my MP3 files in half because of a particular thread on this site, so I think a 512MB would suffice.

Any advice?
    You don't have to worry about dimensions. Just make sure you're buying a "SD" (Secure Digitial) or MMC (multimediacard). The difference is that the former offer a security feature, are faster, slightly thicker, and more expensive. The Treo will support both types, but I recommend getting a SD for the increase performance speeds.

The Kingston 512 SD you linked to will work on the Treo. It is kinda slow card though according to the specs wilth only 2 MB transfer rate:

http://www.kingston.com/literature/MKF_265_4SD.pdf

When buying SD card, brands make a difference. For example, some brands like Panasonic, PQI offer speedy cards while regular Sandisk card are kinda slow. However Sandisk Ultras are much faster and etc...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 02/08/2005 at 02:14 AM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    Thanks GFunkmagic. I have a friend who's big into digital photography and she pulled out her SD 2G Memory Card to show me what it looked like. It was bigger than the dummy card I had in the Treo650. No way it would fit, but read SD Memory on the front of the card just like the ones I've been looking at. I don't want to make a mistake and buy the wrong thing. I'll definitely check out Panasonic and PQI and the Ultra Sandisk. If you have any more please advise.

Thanks again for the quick response.
    If it is really a SD (Secure Digital) Card, then it should not be bigger than the dummy card (minor variations aside). Do make sure you are not confusing a CF (Compact Flash) Card with a SD (Secure Digital) Card? CF cards are substantially bigger and heavier than SD cards. SD cards are available only in ONE single size, although there is a new Mini SD Card format that has recently been launched. But the Mini SD Card is substantialy smaller than the regular SD Card and will not fit the Treo 600/650 without an adaptar.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 02/08/2005 at 05:00 AM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  5.    #5  
    I just checked with her Sanjay. You're absolutely correct. Her card reads: Compact Flash San Disk Ultra II. It was the San Disk (i.e. SD) that was confusing me, the same initials used for Secure Digital. OKAY, I'm set. I understand. I'll look for speed now and then make my purchase. Thanks a bunch you guys.
    Sanjay,

Regarding the miniSD. Do you know how they behave with the Treos, when used with the adapter of course.

I can't think of a reason to get those over the standard sized SD, unless you found yourself with a digital camera that used them. But for compatibility's sake. Does anything suggest they are or aren't just as good as normal SD?
    Unlocked P1 T650 + 12" Powerbook + Scion xA = Happiness
  7.    #7  
    Does anyone know the speed on this Viking? Any opinions on the product/brand itself? How are novices like myself supposed to tell how fast these cards are? It says absolutley nothing about speed in the advertisment. Grrrrrrrr! http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/de...pno~763472.asp
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsTheFly
    Sanjay,

Regarding the miniSD. Do you know how they behave with the Treos, when used with the adapter of course.

I can't think of a reason to get those over the standard sized SD, unless you found yourself with a digital camera that used them. But for compatibility's sake. Does anything suggest they are or aren't just as good as normal SD?
    You are right, the only advantage the miniSD Card has is size which might come handy in the designing of really small equipment, Cameras/PDAs etc. Ragarding their use with the Treo, I have no way of knowing for sure but I would presume, based on what I have read from the SanDisk site, they should work just fine.

The following is a cut & paste from the SanDisk site. --> http://www.sandisk.com/retail/minisd.asp

miniSD™ Card

The SanDisk miniSD memory card offers all of the benefits of a standard SD card, but in a much smaller size. In fact, it is over 60% smaller than a full-sized SD card. The SanDisk miniSD cards are used to store digital images, video, MP3 files and other data in mobile phones. SanDisk offers the industry's broadest range of capacities for miniSD cards with capacities ranging from 64MB to 256MB.

The SanDisk miniSD card includes an adapter that converts the miniSD card into a full size SD card to be used with the growing number of SD compatible devices available in the market.

Advanced Features:
    • Capacities ranging from 64MB to 256MB
    • Built-in security features enable users to download, store and play secure content
    • The miniSD card is bundled with an adaptor for use in both SD and miniSD electronic devices giving you added flexibility and protection of your investment

Product Specifications:
    • Dimensions: .8" x .8" x .05" (L x W x D)
    • 5 year warranty
    • Voltage: 2.7V to 3.6V[/CODE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockmarket
    Does anyone know the speed on this Viking? Any opinions on the product/brand itself? How are novices like myself supposed to tell how fast these cards are? It says absolutley nothing about speed in the advertisment. Grrrrrrrr! http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/de...pno~763472.asp
    The only way to get this info is either by checking the specs from the maufacturers web site, if available that is or to use the help of forums such as this.
    Therefore my suggestion is always check here first before making a final purchase.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad