Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just installed trillian on my PC and i love it. the ability to login with various usernames for aol, msn, icq and yahoo is great. i can now chat with both friends and customers at the same time instead of having to use 2 different computers or constanting logging in and out of each username. one of the main reasons i went for the gsm 650 is the ability to be logged in to those IM programs (i forget what app i need to download, versachat or something) in order to get this to work. my question is, can trillian be put on a 650, or is there some other app that allows you to login to each IM program with multiple screen names?

thanks
    verichat
    ChitChat - Free and even has limitted VoIP support (PTT)
    Causerie, too. Though the version that works on the 650 is still beta... the released version will crash. Supposedly the new one comes out "soon".
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by FFly
    ChitChat - Free and even has limitted VoIP support (PTT)
    What is this limited VoIP you speak of? How does it work? Is it GSM only or would it work on Sprint too?
    Palm Pilot 1000 -> Sprint TP-3000 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650
    ChitChat is here: http://www.kalemsoft.com/index.html and they do mention VoiP on their page...hmm, they may refer to THIS as VoIP:

"Sending a Voice Message
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    To send a voice message (to a buddy with the ChitChat client), select the buddy from the tree list then select “voice message” from the actions list (located at the bottom right side). You have 2 options for voice messages (LQ and HQ). LQ uses a very low bit rate to send the message (~500bytes/sec), while HQ uses a bit rate of ~2500 bytes/sec. You can send offline voice messages to offline users.
    "
    Last edited by Tiffany; 02/08/2005 at 01:30 AM.
    There are various unified IM apps for PalmOS and the Treo:

Verichat: Simple and robust. Can upload/download files. Requires annual fee

Causerie: Powerful. Unique bots features set it apart. Can have multiple YIM open etc. High annual fee.

Mundu: One time fee only. Good treo integration. Not as full featured as others.

Chatopus: Only one time fee. Requires knowledge of Jabber servers and transports. Also supports bots.

Agile Messenger : Currently offer beta download only.

Mychitchat: Multiprotcol IM that actually supports VoIP!! Still in beta though...

Web messenger: Have not used, but not heard good things about this one...

Chatter: Unfortunately closed and no longer offerring to open new IM accounts.
    Last edited by Gaurav; 02/08/2005 at 02:16 AM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    gfunk, great list, thanks!

I had only heard of Verichat and Causerie before, and didn't pursue either because of the annual fee.

Will have to check out Mundu -- I don't mind simpler functionality since my chat needs are pretty simple -- basically AOL/iChat.

Thanks again!

tanster
    Treo 650 on Sprint, as of 11/18/04!
    • To transfer data from your current Palm device to the Treo 650, click here.
    • To see my Treo 650 pics, click here.
    they all suck except for verichat! all this jabber set up nonsesne is too much for the average user. also the gui's of all except verichat are so ghetto! what are these guys thinking?
    Causerie doesn't use jabber (no extra acct to set up, just like verichat) and personally think the interface is nice (plus it's skinnable) and not "ghetto"
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Causerie doesn't use jabber (no extra acct to set up, just like verichat) and personally think the interface is nice (plus it's skinnable) and not "ghetto"
    causerie's got a nicely designed business site... with pleasantly hidden prices. can anyone advise on the annual costs for any of the fee-based chat software? thanks.

EDIT: found it. just too lazy to dig most of the time.

causerie: $25/1year or $50/3 years
    verichat: $25 first year, $20 renewal thereafter
    mundu: $15 flat fee

-ae
    Last edited by aethyric; 02/08/2005 at 07:22 AM.
    If animals are deprived of hope ... they are compensated by being given an almost endless patience for enduring, or simply for waiting. - Joseph Wood Krutch
    Beloved old unbranded GSM 650 shorting out and retired.
    Now happily driving the Black Euro GSM Centro. Yum.
    Quote Originally Posted by aethyric
    causerie: $25/1year or $50/3 years
    verichat: $25 first year, $20 renewal thereafter
    mundu: $15 flat fee
    -ae
    So glad I got in on the ground floor with verichat. I paid for lifetime and dont have to pay an annual fee. So, I guess they are stuck with me.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Can someone enlighten me on ChitChat? It installs fine on the 650? Works fine on the 650? I'll try installing later tonight when I get home. Any screen pics?
  14.    #14  
    can verichat support logging in with multiple sreen names from each app at the same time? (aim, yahoo, msn, icq). i would like to be able to be logged in with my personal screen names as well as company screen names for support.
    Quote Originally Posted by dubLdribL
    can verichat support logging in with multiple sreen names from each app at the same time? (aim, yahoo, msn, icq). i would like to be able to be logged in with my personal screen names as well as company screen names for support.

No, this one feature Verichat cannot do AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Causerie Premier supports 2 screen names for each.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  17.    #17  
    causerie premier looks pretty cool

http://www.mantragroup.com/causerie.htm

is it free? (ediit) it's $34.95
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    you are correct sir. it cant do this. they (pdaapps) say it will be in a future release.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Last I tried chitchat, their 'latest' prc on their website was invalid and no one from kalemsoft were to be found on their support board.
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Anyone try Agile Messenger? It's free but is it stable? I use it on my Symbian OS phone and it works great. Somewhat unstable on my PPC, but how is it on the Palm OS?
    Palm III -> Sony Clie 73V + Sony Ericsson 610 -> Sony Ericcson P900 -> Nokia 6600 + IPAQ 4150 -> Treo 650 -> BenQ P50 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> HTC Titan (Sprint Mogul)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast