1.    #1  
    Well I was very worried about the 600 after all of the information posted on this website. After a couple of days, here are my impressions:
    Cons
    • Phone app is a lot slower in response. Seems like at least 2x slower.
    • Generally the device is slower overal at starting applications. This has to be from the app getting moved from the NAND to the RAM to run.
    • Calendar app does not have the option to auto set the alarm on new appointments to a default value
    • Phone has reset more than my 600 did in the 16 months in just a few days. But my 600 only reset about 5 times over the life of the phone.
    • The Versamail client sucks. The built in mail app on the 600 was much better in that it was stable and Versamail is not.

Pros
    • Screen is amazing. The resolution is wonderful and the brightness is excellent just like on the 600.
    • Bluetooth, though I haven't had a chance to use it will be a nice addition.
    • Once the applications do get started they do run faster.
    • The sound when using headphones is much better than on the 600. Seems like the boosted the output and reduced the distortion.
    • Memory is not as bad as I thought. It does use more for the same amount of info, but I am not using that much more than I did on my 600.
    • The new layout of the phone app is great. I love having meeting for the day show up on the phone app.
    • Contacts app that allows access to the apps. A Treocentral member wrote one for the 600.
    • Better built-in speaker for ringtones and playing music without headphones.

Overall I think I am happy with the 650 compared to the 600. I am a little worried about the keyboard durability as the feel is a little mushy but time will tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols
    Calendar app does not have the option to auto set the alarm on new appointments to a default value
    Actaully it does. Goto prefs and then sound and alerts. Select application and then tones and you can set the alarm prefs...

The Versamail client sucks. The built in mail app on the 600 was much better in that it was stable and Versamail is not.
    Hmmm... I dunno, I never used versamail and just ported over snapper from the beginning.
    Last edited by Gaurav; 02/07/2005 at 11:32 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Calendar app does not have the option to auto set the alarm on new appointments to a default value.
    Actually, it is there, it's just in a stupid place. Go to System Prefs, Sounds, Choose "Calendar" under application, and then choose Tones.

Intuitive, isn't it?

On your other points I agree, generally. I don't think VersaMail sucks though, although I do prefer SnapperMail.
    gfunk, you're too fast for me. Guess that's how you got 4,353 posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrodgers
    gfunk, you're too fast for me. Guess that's how you got 4,353 posts.

LOL! Guess so!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Actaully it does. Goto prefs and then sound and alerts. Select application and then tones and you can set the alarm prefs...

Guess I wasn't very clear on this. What I mean is when you create a new appointment on the 650, the Alarm checkbox under details is defaulted to not checked. You then have to click the check box, and then it gives you the amount of time that you want before the appointment for the alarm to go off. On the 600 you could set it to make all new appointments have this box checked by default with the time set to a default time too. On my 600 I had all new appointments created to by default generate an alarm 15 minutes prior to the event. I have not been able to find this anywhere on the 650.
    huh?? but it is there. You can have Preset Alarms for Calendar events/ appoinments with a specified time (e.g. 15 mins).
    Its right there: Prefs , Sounds and Alerts, Calendar, Tones ---> last check box -> " Alert Preset: "
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Yea, but I hate the default 5 day ahead of Task alarms. (at least it has them vs. the 600). Is there a way to change that to default to 5 minutes?
    Mark F Chinsky
    Well I was very worried about the 600 after all of the information posted on this website. After a couple of days, here are my impressions:
    Cons
    [*]Phone has reset more than my 600 did in the 16 months in just a few days. But my 600 only reset about 5 times over the life of the phone.[*]The Versamail client sucks. The built in mail app on the 600 was much better in that it was stable and Versamail is not.

Overall I think I am happy with the 650 compared to the 600. I am a little worried about the keyboard durability as the feel is a little mushy but time will tell.
    On the reset issue: How did you set up your 650? If you hotsync'd with your 600 backup directory to get all your apps back, you should start over. That's known to cause major problems. If not, then I still suspect you've got problems with one or more of your apps. Mine is very stable, except it's now doing a soft reset after many, but not all, hotsyncs. (The hotsync completes normally, all my data gets backed up, and then it reboots). I think it might be related to Win-hand, but I've installed a couple of other things recently, too, so I need to investigate.

As for Versamail, I agree that it's not very good. I'm running and old version of snappermail which I like much better. But there do seem to be fixes for the Versamail reset problems. Do some searches here.

There wer some reports of keyboard problems very early on, but they seem to have gone away. Hopefully it was just a manufacturing problem in the first production run.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie319
    huh?? but it is there. You can have Preset Alarms for Calendar events/ appoinments with a specified time (e.g. 15 mins).
    Its right there: Prefs , Sounds and Alerts, Calendar, Tones ---> last check box -> " Alert Preset: "
    OK. I found it. Thanks for the detailed explenation of how to get there. One less Con for the 650 .
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    On the reset issue: How did you set up your 650? If you hotsync'd with your 600 backup directory to get all your apps back, you should start over. That's known to cause major problems. If not, then I still suspect you've got problems with one or more of your apps. Mine is very stable, except it's now doing a soft reset after many, but not all, hotsyncs. (The hotsync completes normally, all my data gets backed up, and then it reboots). I think it might be related to Win-hand, but I've installed a couple of other things recently, too, so I need to investigate.
    I made sure that I unistalled the 600 Software, and I renamed the Handspring folder "Handspring Backup". None of my applications that were on my 600 are on my 650. I did a fresh install of PocketTunes to the 650.

I haven't had any resets recently, so maybe it was just all of the installs happening in the first day of use.

Versamail is still junk compared to the old 600 mail client. It is not downloading the mail at hourly intervals during the week like I programmed it to.

Versamail is still junk compared to the old 600 mail client. It is not downloading the mail at hourly intervals during the week like I programmed it to.
    Ditto. I just took off Auto sync since it wasn't half working anyway. (I hope we see that Patch from P1 this month as I was told by a Sprint Rep).
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre