Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I searched through the archvies and every reference to poor call quality seemed to be talking about the Sprint CDMA 650. Can anyone say with certainty whether on not this is also a problem with the Cingular GSM 650?

Thanks,

t
    Do a search...there was a thread where a few people said their Cingular T650's voice quality was fine. I don't think it's been an issue since I haven't heard of people complaining about it.
    Sounds good to me! I imagine that would depend on the GSM coverage in your area, but my 650 sounds really good.
  4.    #4  
    Your right. I found an old post once I narrowed the search a bit.

Sorry,

t
    Question's not whether it sounds good on the user's end, but whether it's clipped/muted/garbled on other end. I got tired of constantly repeating myself on Sprint ("What was that?")
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I have been testing the voice quality of my Cingular 650 vs. my T-mobile Treo 600 during a short trip to Burlington, VT. The 650 has more background noise & interferrence than my 600. I believe I am roaming on the same system with both devices (Unitel). While on the phone with my wife (using my 650) she informed my that the call was not clear at all. When I called her back using my T-mobile 600, she said it was a world of difference.

Not sure what to make of this. I really want to like my new 650. When I get back to NY, I will continue testing the device before I jump to any pre-mature conclusions. Any comments??
    I've always had bad call quality and complaints from the people I call using the ATTWS 600. All I have been reading on this site is that the 650 is not as good as the 600. I am on my 4th 600, and right now it has taken a back seat to the MPX220. I just hope by fate, the unlocked 650 will be better. Have any of the Cingular users noticed the quality improve with the use of a BT headset or carkit?
    Quote Originally Posted by thxac3
    I've always had bad call quality and complaints from the people I call using the ATTWS 600. All I have been reading on this site is that the 650 is not as good as the 600. I am on my 4th 600, and right now it has taken a back seat to the MPX220. I just hope by fate, the unlocked 650 will be better. Have any of the Cingular users noticed the quality improve with the use of a BT headset or carkit?
    I will post later after using my BT headset with the 650. All this waiting with an anti-climatic ending???? I hope not.
    I have had my Cingular 650 for a week now, and make/receive a lot of calls. So far, I have had only 1 "bad" call and I heard a lot of static before it connected. This also happened on occasion when using previous phones as well. I just disconnected and retried call, no problem. Everyone I have called with the 650 has said they can hear me loud and clear, and I have been getting a strong signal (4-5 bars) everywhere including my office in downtown Los Angeles. My main concern was call quality before I purchased the GSM 650 after reading about issues with the CDMA version. I have had no issues with call quality. Although I am not a "power" PDA user, I am definitely a "power" cell phone user because of work. Bottomline, the Cingular 650 in Southern Ca. is exceptional as a cell phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lep354
    I have had my Cingular 650 for a week now, and make/receive a lot of calls. So far, I have had only 1 "bad" call and I heard a lot of static before it connected. This also happened on occasion when using previous phones as well. I just disconnected and retried call, no problem. Everyone I have called with the 650 has said they can hear me loud and clear, and I have been getting a strong signal (4-5 bars) everywhere including my office in downtown Los Angeles. My main concern was call quality before I purchased the GSM 650 after reading about issues with the CDMA version. I have had no issues with call quality. Although I am not a "power" PDA user, I am definitely a "power" cell phone user because of work. Bottomline, the Cingular 650 in Southern Ca. is exceptional as a cell phone.

lep354, have the people you called heard any difference when the battery starts to drain? That is when most of my problems begin.
    Quote Originally Posted by lep354
    Thank you for the feedback. I am hoping I will be able to report the same in a few days. I have a feeling it may be the 3rd party carrier up here in VT. Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by thxac3
    lep354, have the people you called heard any difference when the battery starts to drain? That is when most of my problems begin.
    So far, I haven't let it run down any lower than about 50% because I have been "trained" by my Moto V551 to not let the battery level get any lower. With the V551, there was a VERY quick drop-off on the battery after about 50%, so I would always head for the charger. GSM 650 battery seems to be very consistent, but until I get my car charger I didn't want to take any chances.
    I'm getting more static with bt headset than with Sprint 650, but the volume is very good. What did they do...fix it?
    A couple of notes on call quality.

First, the vast majority of 650s in use today are Sprint 650s. And Sprint 650s have been out for a couple of months longer. So you're going to see a lot more complaints about the Sprint sound quality issue even if the same problem exists for the GSM phones. Don't assume the lack of complaints means the problem is solved.

Second, the problem with the Sprint phone is mainly in noisy environments. Calls made from quiet locations sound fine. Test your phone by calling someone else (or your own voicemail) from a bar, your car, and airport, or similar places, and see how it sounds TO THE PERSON ON THE OTHER END.

If they say you sound great, then it sounds like Palm got it's act together before shipping the GSM phone. Congratulations. But if it sounds choppy and broken up, welcome to the club.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I find that I can't really tell the difference between Cingular and Sprint.

I moved from a Sprint 650 to a Cingular 650.

I'll say this much, the HBH-660 seems to be operating a LOT better. No volume issues with Bluetooth, not once.

No one is complaining they can't hear me with the BT headset any longer.

With that single improvement in the BT headset area, the switch off of Sprint was most gratifying.
    Quote Originally Posted by superjimbo801
    I'll say this much, the HBH-660 seems to be operating a LOT better. No volume issues with Bluetooth, not once.
    How do you like your HBH-660? When someone calls you, do you see the incoming phone number or the name from your address db in the HBH-600 screen?
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    How do you like your HBH-660? When someone calls you, do you see the incoming phone number or the name from your address db in the HBH-600 screen?

I'm using the HBH-660 with my MPX220, I have never seen the caller ID work. According to SE's website, only the P900/P910 is compatible with the Caller ID. Does anyone using the 650 get the caller ID to work?
    The caller ID scrolls accross the display of the HBH-660 as it should.
    I got my ATT Treo 650 yesterday and the microphone was broken. If I use the headset, the other party can hear me just fine, otherwise, nothing on their end. From my end I could hear the other party clearly. Promised by PALM One a new unit soon.

To add to superjimbo801's answer, it's the 10 digit number that scrolls across the display, not the name. I wish it would show the name.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast